With Swype free there is no reason to still give Swiftkey access to your keystrokes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by truth1ness, Nov 7, 2014.

1. truth1ness macrumors regular

Unlike Swiftkey, Swype doesn't force to you to give them full access to all your keystrokes to use the core swiping functionality. If you've chosen Swiftkey for no other reason than it was free I encourage you to switch to Swype today if you are at all concerned about privacy, either personally or in principle. If you want to go the extra step, consider writing Swiftkey a message explaining your switch to encourage them to change policy. http://swiftkey.com/en/contact/

2. justblack78 macrumors newbie

justblack78

If someone is that paranoid, maybe a smartphone isn't for them since so much data is stored, transmitted, etc. My understanding is that SwiftKey doesn't store data in the keyboard itself but instead in the actual app. Full access is needed in order for the keyboard to read and write data to and from the SwiftKey app. Things like predictive text, settings, etc require this. I guess that could rewrite the entire app, store the data in the keyboard itself then deal with those complaining about poor performance.

3. truth1ness thread starter macrumors regular

Choosing a free app that doesn't force me give access to my keystrokes over one that does is not paranoia, it's common sense.

Full access is obviously not required if Swype has all the same functionality (swipe, autocorrect etc) without needing full access.

There is no reason for swift key to disable swiping until you give them full access. It is a blatant grab for your data.

4. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

It is total paranoia. Why the hell would Swiftkey steal your data... are you saying they have malicious intent?? They use your keystrokes to predict YOUR words and writing style. Apple keyboard does the same thing.

5. KentuckyHouse, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014

KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

With Swype free there is no reason to still give Swiftkey access to your keys...

God. I thought 3rd party keyboards on iOS were going to be a revelation. And they were, but in all the wrong ways.

It revealed just how paranoid iOS users are.

For those of you that are platform-agnostic like me and are open-minded and use both iOS and Android, you already know this isn't a big deal. But lord have mercy, those of you that are Apple apologists...wow, you need to gain some perspective.

Good lord. May as well go ahead and put on your tinfoil hats now.

6. truth1ness, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014

truth1ness thread starter macrumors regular

None of you would ever consider using a physical keyboard that forced you to give Logitech or Dell or whoever access to all your keystrokes and would blast that company for breach of consumer privacy. But a software keyboard with some cool gestures, well full access that's A-ok! Lol.

The Apple keyboard is not comparable at all because it lets you turn off predictive from their servers. Swype also lets you use the keyboard completely sandboxed. Swiftkey does not. They are the same price. That is all I'm letting folks who may be privacy conscious know. How is this even an argument let alone insulting me?

7. redlinux macrumors regular

redlinux

I can't stand how weird the buttons are with Swype. I'm all for SwiftKey!

8. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

In this day and age, to say there is no risk giving away every keystroke to a third-party app is a little naive IMO.

That being said, I just tried Swype and I'm amazed at the instant increase in productivity of typing! No learning curve either. I have never typed so well on an iPhone. Love it!

9. Chatter macrumors 6502a

I have SKey and just downloaded Swype. I was used to Swype from Android days so happy to give it a shot as well. I agree with you though - its not about paranoia but more about "why give access if I dont have to".

10. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I am confused, I just downloaded swype and the instructions clearly instruct you to allow full access just like swiftkey.

11. truth1ness thread starter macrumors regular

12. XT550 macrumors regular

XT550

Or if you choose the option of keypress sound.

13. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I prefer to use swiftkey, but I just downloaded the swype since it was free but will delete swype soon anyways.

14. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I bought both swiftkey and Swype, so that measly $1 certainly wasn't a factor in me opting for swiftkey over Swype. I can't explain it - I just prefer the "swipiness" of Swiftkey over Swype. It just feels more fluid (or as fluid as a 3rd party keyboard can be for that matter).

Anyways, I am now defaulting back to the stock Apple keyboard until the developers get their act together.

15. guicane macrumors regular

guicane

I speak 3 languages and constantly have to change between them if I use the stock keyboard or Swype, not the case with SwiftKey which just understands automatically which one I'm using! Not changing, thanks!

16. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

I tried to like Swype but the button layout is horrible so I'm using SwiftKey; and from what I read as long as you don't use the cloud service your keystrokes are not stored.

17. cmdspace macrumors newbie

Tried Swype since it was free. I only use SwiftKey occasionally, so it's a much better option for me. Swype uses a much different layout from the stock iOS keyboard so not worth learning it over SwitftKey.