Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think reviews will be like for the iPhone X.

• Best phone period.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • Overwhelmingly positive.

Votes: 76 60.8%
  • Neutral.

Votes: 14 11.2%
  • Negative.

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
As the topic states, what do you think the reviews will be like for the iPhone X when it gets released on November 3rd?

I am banking on all the reviews to be overwhelmingly positive just because I am getting one this year, but there is always the risk that FaceID or something else about the phone becomes a target. There are a lot of concerns thrown out prior to the phone's release that will come to a point when reviews start spreading all over about the phone.

Examples of some areas of "concern" based on what I've read from the forums:

- FaceID replacing TouchID, will people actually like FaceID? If there are negative reviews, will Apple be swayed to going with a dual FaceID and integrated TouchID solution? (even though I have no idea how that could be done since with in display, how do you tell physically where you touch to get the recognition?)
- The Notch, does it really distract? Or is it a necessary design because of all the components?
- No Physical Home Button, is it really much easier to use? Is it worth the screen space?
- OLED Display, is the display going to really be that great? Are there going to be defects like LG V30's that have tints that make it even worse than Google Pixel 2's?
- Apple Pay with Side Button Press, Does that just feel unnatural and not easy to use compared to using TouchID on the previous phones?
- Higher Aperture + Dual-Camera OIS, Does it really matter and will it really result in better photos?
- Aspect Display Ratio, Will videos look stretched and unnatural, and people throw tomatoes at it?
- Battery Life, with the iPhone 7 showing up in reviews as somewhat having less battery life than the 6 in certain reviews, how will that big OLED display end up affecting the battery life? Will Apple's claims in the specs be reflective of real world usage?
- Animoji, one of the marketed selling points of the iPhone X as an exclusive feature, is it just a gimmick that adds no real value? Will reviewers like it or will they cast it aside as a 'fun' but unnecessary feature?
- Price, for all the cost, is it really worth buying? Is it a con, that for the value you get out of the phone that reviewers accept it and say it is worth that premium and reviewers paint it in a positive light?
- Phone That's Entirely Screen?, Apple markets this phone as 'creating an iPhone that is entirely screen', but LG V30 (83.24%) has a higher screen to body ratio compared to the iPhone X (83.24%), and so does the Galaxy S8 (83.6%)
- Repairability, screen replacement without Apple Care costs $279. While not a property of the phone itself, will it be used as more fuel to a negative review? Or just mentioned as a word of caution without negatively impacting the review?
- Comparison to Flagships, with all the phones that got a leg up in releasing before the iPhone X...
Element - Phone that has a smaller notch, but there are so many issues with it they slashed prices
Google Pixel 2 - Best camera by DXO reviews, 'grainy' screen from LG
LG V30 - Best video camera, worse screen than Pixel 2
Huawei Mate - Good contender, but Bluetooth 4.2 is old, and the proprietary processor pales in comparison to the A11 Bionic
iPhone X - <what will this be?>

Here's to hoping that the phone can claim a top spot above the Google Pixel 2 in DXO's camera reviews. My fear is if negative reviews come out of this and Apple decides to change it's approach with the next iPhone X successor, then it would make my $1000+ plus investment short lived for this generation.

Last edited:

Nimoy

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
I'll predict:
-Extremely positive about the Super Retina display
-Very positive about overall design/build
-Very positive about performance
-Very positive about the cameras
-Positive, with some caveats, about FaceID
-Some mixed feelings about the notch
-Slightly negative about the price

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
iPhones are critic-proof like Star Wars. Apple is the most popular mobile OEM in the United States. Many of those reviewers use iPhones as their daily driver.

Just watch the iPhone 8/8 Plus reviews. Now imagine that and add another notch (no pun intended) of positivity.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
I like It :)
I don't like It :(
Best Phone Ever ;)
Worst Phone Ever :eek:
Too Much :cool:
Too Little :mad:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I'll predict:
-Extremely positive about the Super Retina display
-Very positive about overall design/build
-Very positive about performance
-Very positive about the cameras
-Positive, with some caveats, about FaceID
-Some mixed feelings about the notch
-Slightly negative about the price

Yup. They critics could have written these reviews months ago and just made a few edits when they actually got the phone. What surprises are there at this point? The only question are whether FaceID will work as well as expected and how good the battery life is.

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
- FaceID replacing TouchID: I expect reviewers to say that FaceID is a truly impressive feat, with no real competitor on the market. However, some reviewers will say that FaceID is not significantly different than TouchID in the convenience department.
- The Notch: That's the single and only reason why I went with the iPhone 8 Plus. I expect reviewers to receive it in a more positive light than me, but still warn those who truly care about apps to wait another year so that developers have the time to take advantage of the new screen shape.
- No Physical Home Button: they'll tout how much easier is to use the iPhone interface with the new gestures.
- OLED Display: I'm confident the OLED display will be one of the best in the market (waiting to see if it is better than the iPhone 8 Plus)
- Apple Pay with Side Button Press: a small drawback of the device, not a dealbreaker
- Higher Aperture + Dual-Camera OIS: reviewers will say that this camera is better than the 8Plus in low-light, and zoom photography, and video recording. Probably the iPhone X will regain the crown of the best smartphone camera on the market.
- Aspect Display Ratio: good for people browsing social media and website (coming from the 7, of course). Watching youtube videos may be weird. Watching movies is actually better on this display, due to the wider screen in landscape mode.
- Battery Life: the iPhone X will have a better battery life than the 8, which is the phone that it is supposed to be replaced.
- Animoji: gimmick
- Price: they will say "if you can spend the money, go ahead"

Reactions: Starfyre

Treyhunna

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2017
who really cares tho? theres bound to be another ____gate but besides that it should be well accepted/hated on.

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
Personally, the only review that matters, for me is mine. ;)
Exactly.
If you want to find glowing reviews you will. If you want to find horrible reviews you will. While it’s interesting for 20 seconds to wonder what the reviews will be.. if you are getting one it really doesn’t matter.

Reactions: AJsAWiz

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Is there like a cliffnotes version of your posts? I mean good grief your posts are like a novel. Lols anyways, iPhone will reign supreme in the reviews.

I would quote a post from another forumer on a thread that said "quality over quantity", one way of doing that is to provide more meaningful writing to the OP. :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Reviews are something that I like to read or watch, but nor does it affect my purchase based on something that I already know that I wanted to begin with. In the case of the iPhone X, all that matters in my own perception.

Reactions: AJsAWiz

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Is there some kind of contest I don’t know about for the most hyper specific iPhone X poll?

Which hand will you open the box with?

What is the area code of the 1st call you’ll make with your new iPhone?

What state was your closest family member in the day you preordered?

What will be your first meal after the unboxing?

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
As the topic states, what do you think the reviews will be like for the iPhone X when it gets released on November 3rd?

I am banking on all the reviews to be overwhelmingly positive just because I am getting one this year, but there is always the risk that FaceID or something else about the phone becomes a target. There are a lot of concerns thrown out prior to the phone's release that will come to a point when reviews start spreading all over about the phone.

Examples of some areas of "concern" based on what I've read from the forums:

- FaceID replacing TouchID, will people actually like FaceID? If there are negative reviews, will Apple be swayed to going with a dual FaceID and integrated TouchID solution? (even though I have no idea how that could be done since with in display, how do you tell physically where you touch to get the recognition?)
- The Notch, does it really distract? Or is it a necessary design because of all the components?
- No Physical Home Button, is it really much easier to use? Is it worth the screen space?
- OLED Display, is the display going to really be that great? Are there going to be defects like LG V30's that have tints that make it even worse than Google Pixel 2's?
- Apple Pay with Side Button Press, Does that just feel unnatural and not easy to use compared to using TouchID on the previous phones?
- Higher Aperture + Dual-Camera OIS, Does it really matter and will it really result in better photos?
- Aspect Display Ratio, Will videos look stretched and unnatural, and people throw tomatoes at it?
- Battery Life, with the iPhone 7 showing up in reviews as somewhat having less battery life than the 6 in certain reviews, how will that big OLED display end up affecting the battery life? Will Apple's claims in the specs be reflective of real world usage?
- Animoji, one of the marketed selling points of the iPhone X as an exclusive feature, is it just a gimmick that adds no real value? Will reviewers like it or will they cast it aside as a 'fun' but unnecessary feature?
- Price, for all the cost, is it really worth buying? Is it a con, that for the value you get out of the phone that reviewers accept it and say it is worth that premium and reviewers paint it in a positive light?
- Repairability, screen replacement without Apple Care costs $279. While not a property of the phone itself, will it be used as more fuel to a negative review? Or just mentioned as a word of caution without negatively impacting the review?
- Comparison to Flagships, with all the phones that got a leg up in releasing before the iPhone X...
Element - Phone that has a smaller notch, but there are so many issues with it they slashed prices
Google Pixel 2 - Best camera by DXO reviews, 'grainy' screen from LG
LG V30 - Best video camera, worse screen than Pixel 2
Huawei Mate - Good contender, but Bluetooth 4.2 is old, and the proprietary processor pales in comparison to the A11 Bionic
iPhone X - <what will this be?>

Here's to hoping that the phone can claim a top spot above the Google Pixel 2 in DXO's camera reviews.
Well if they want to keep getting invited to the hardware and software events, they will give a glowing interview lol.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
77% voting for overwhelming positive is on point while a few will say best iPhone ever made like they do every new year.

Reviewers, posters in tech forums, and tech sites are just hype folks. Think journalists looking for angles and narratives. Think Don King and Lavar Ball.

YouTubers always telling us to go leave a comment, press the like button, subscribe, and go check out dbrand that helps fund their production costs.

Same charade every year. That's why I mostly watch trailer/episode first reaction videos now. The reviews for iPhone X should be fine.

If they were bad, it would still sell a minimum 50M. Critic-proof.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Is there some kind of contest I don’t know about for the most hyper specific iPhone X poll?

I dare you to make a thread with one of those titles :p

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I’d say there will be concerns with face ID and the lack of home button.

serialiphoneuser

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016

The last one is comedic gold.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Depends on which site the review appears. I would expect Verge to be more nitpicky than WSJ, just because of the audience. Generally take the Galaxy 8 review and substitute iPhone X. Add in a paragraph on Face ID and AR. Mention on cost. I don't think it gets many WOW! reviews. But I don't think it gets mediocre ones either. Avg grade probably in the B+ area mostly because of price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.