with the $549 AT&T price option for 32GB iPhone 4S ...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gnychis, Oct 7, 2011.

  1. gnychis macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 24, 2009
    #1
    The Apple order site says:

    Code:
    32GB : Black
    $549.00
    You may qualify to purchase this iPhone for $299.00 on:
    November 18, 2011
    
    First, has anyone had any luck calling AT&T and asking for their date to be moved up?

    Second, with this $549 price, am I signing a new 2 year contract or is my contract unphased? I hope the latter, such that I would receive iPhone 5 at the discounted price.
     
  2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

    Mlrollin91

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2008
    Location:
    Ventura County
    #2
    Yes you are signing a two year contract. Full retail price is 749.
     
  3. gnychis thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 24, 2009
    #3
    I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense to wait the month for the $299 price, or not, assuming I am going to get the iPhone 5 also.

    Let's say I have to pay $549 now. If me signing a new 2 year now means that I have to pay $549 for the iPhone 5 also, that's 549+549.

    However, if I wait a month from now and pay $299, and then have to pay $549 next year, the wait is worth it to me.

    The last scenario is I wait and pay $299, and then if the iPhone 5 were to cost me $749, it would make no sense for me to wait the month. Or does AT&T/Apple price it so that if you buy a new one every year, you pay the medium price?
     
  4. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

    Vertigo50

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2007
    #4
    Actually, I think your best bet is to just skip the iPhone 4S and maintain your eligibility for the iPhone 5. It's not that much of an upgrade and then you're guaranteed the discount later.

    Plus, you save $550 that you can spend on something better.
     
  5. gnychis thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 24, 2009
    #5
    sorry, not really an option for me. I already sold my iPhone 4
     
  6. mrtune, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

    mrtune macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2007
    #6
    Skip the 4S, get the next gen iPhone on launch day, with no worries on whether you are eligible or not.

    The $250 early upgrade fee is a lot to swallow for a spec bumped phone. Next year there is a high chance of a full redesign and you'll be paying it (the early upgrade fee) again to upgrade whether you buy it now or in Novemember.

    EDIT: OP, looks like we posted at nearly the same time. Wait until November and pocket the $250. I mean, common, you're going to throw away $250 to get a phone a month early? The $549 price includes a NEW 2 year contract. It is not an off contract phone. Those do not go on sale until sometime in November
     
  7. theperipheral macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2008
    #7
    As everyone has already said, this does create a new 2 year contract. I'd wait till you are eligible for a full upgrade, by the 4S, and then use an early upgrade for the 5.
     
  8. gnychis thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 24, 2009
    #8
    thanks all, this makes sense. I am going to wait to avoid the early upgrade fee. I can also see the initial response of the phone by doing this, and see if the dev team can hack Siri on the iPhone 4. That's the only reason I want the 4S. If they can do that, I'll get a used 4 on the market and then have the true $299 price for the iPhone 5.
     

Share This Page