With the BB Z/Q10 and the SG S4...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EW800, Mar 30, 2013.

1. EW800 macrumors 6502

With more competition coming into the market (S4, B10, HTC1 and others) does anyone think that Apple may try to start stepping it up a notch in regard to updated OS's and/or phone specs/designs? Please do not rake me over the coals for this, as I do love my iPhone 5, however I just feel that Apple has gotten a bit complacent in the last couple of years. I am hoping that competition may be very healthy for them.

Your thoughts?

2. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I feel we'll see a more aggresive approach to introducings new features. Not simply because of the competion but the shake up in the iOS design team.

3. EW800 thread starter macrumors 6502

I so hope you are right! :)

4. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Some feel that Apple has been slacking, I personally do not. Apple is just not going to throw a bunch features before their time.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't expect much from the 5s and that to be honest is disappointing. Apple's competitors are swinging for the fences with new designs and radical features in the operating systems. Getting a minor tweaked phone at this point is unfortunate. I don't have high hopes for the 5s but they really need to do something with the iPhone 6.

6. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

Judging by Apples ad campaigns here lately, I believe they have realized the competition can pump out good phones too.

7. maxosx macrumors 68020

Where once upon a time in the past I would have an idea or thoughts about what Apple might do, I'm presently quite uncertain about Apple. It's a new Era at Apple with the death of their charismatic pitchman and CEO.

At first, I thought that Apple would be fine without him, but the longer it goes, the more diverse and erratic the rumors become regarding iWatch this, iTV that, Ground Truth Mapping, Game Controllers, iRadio.... oh my gosh they are all over the map.

Just how many projects do they think they can sustain while keeping the public wondering as I am, what the hell are they up to?

Thankfully from my viewpoint we enthusiasts have Samsung to provide interesting and exciting smartphones going forward.

With Clear Actionable Plans that they are Executing On, Samsung is proving their strength, commitment and willingness to _DO_ something, not just talk about it.

We even have April 16th as a firm date for the intro via AT&T of the S4. It doesn't get any better than that.

Thanks Samsung for making things happen.

Apple would do well to stop languishing... with it's typical position of keeping the customers in the dark. OR... conversely if indeed they are behind some of the rumors, are they simply floating trial balloons to see what sticks?

If ever Apple looked very indecisive, it's now.

Not exactly the image that a company of their status should be conveying.

8. EW800 thread starter macrumors 6502

It will be very interesting to see where Apple, Samsung and Blackberry are sitting say three to five years from now!

9. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure what the disappointment with the iPhone 5 is about. Isn't it fast enough? Does it crash often? Aren't there tons of apps? Isn't the screen clear or colorful enough? Can't it make calls, schedule appointments, sync calendars, etc., etc.?
    What exactly are we all looking for in the next iPhone? I have many friends with other android devices and we all use our phones to check weather, look things up on the internet, find businesses, and to screw around. They all so just about the same thing nowadays. One or a few great new features aren't going to significantly change our lives for the better. I believe 99% of smart phone users don't use their devices to anywhere near capacity or use any of the great new features, such as NFC or whatever (just to name one).

10. beMaC macrumors member

Samsung make much more than just smartphones. And its more hype from apple users/analysts talking about iwatches, iphone 5s predictions, iRadio.. its all just speculation until Apple release official statements.

Samsung have released the S4 yes, but it is the same people praising it that were laughing at the upgrade from iPhone 4 to 4s. Quite hypocritical no? saying as the S4 is only a tad thinner, lighter, better camera, faster and includes a few gestures.

Apple like to make people keep guessing as it is a market technique, makes their products more luxurious, unpredictable and keeps people talking about it, keeping them and their products in the limelight.

11. CEmajr macrumors 601

Ironic that the S4 is the same minor spec bump that people are criticizing the unannounced iPhone 5S for yet same ones are praising the S4 as doing something innovative. Wow.

12. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I agree. Most phones on whatever OS do the same thing for the majority of people. They take pictures,check scores, text and look things up online.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

ii'm also getting really tired of this idea that you must either be #1, and dominated everything related to mobile devices. OR you're out of business.

Really? So we WANT monopolies now? I don't know about you, but I would rather not have a repeat of the Windows era of compting.

Having several good competitors is a good thing. I'm glas that Blackberry is potentially coming back, and hope they don't just sit back and cost on the Z10. And at the same time, like it or not, we are a point where smartphones are going to plateau for a while, and the features coming are going to be evolutionary, based on refinements.

14. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

Im really liking the HTC one. It kind of looks like an iPhone. Im skipping the 5S hoping Apple releases a bigger iPhone which I doubt they will. And if they dont Im jumping ship untill they do.

15. Mrbobb macrumors 601

These folks want to have regular infusion of NEW STUFF. Perhaps their friends is been making fun of them and they feel the peer pressure.

Jobs used to not care. You buy what he made but with the new team... Apple may finally pressured to throw in some "useless" features. :(