With the huge difference in GPUs for the low/high end 15, is this the year of the 17?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bobby Corwen, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Bobby Corwen, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

The way the 15s are setup this year with the low end being almost un-purchasable, it means that no matter what I get into, its gonna have to be a $2200-and-up-status purchase.

You think they did that on purpose? Sabotaging the cheaper model? For profit margins? (--they can, I don't mind, but anyways..)

So since I'm paying 22, why not 25?

I have never owned a 17 inch before --only the 15 and now the 13. I used to think the 17 was too big, but now I'm starting to fiend over the screen. I play World of Warcraft and Starcraft II and I would love to be able to run them at MAX settings on my lap. The whole "just get a monitor" argument doesn't fit here because I like to lay in bed a lot.

Anyone ran WoW on max settings on last years' 17? What about this year's? Is it possible? How does it compare to the experience on a 13? (Which is what I have now and it's underwhelming; although cozy.)

I really want to bite the bullet and go for the 17 experience one year. My favorite part is that everyone that sees it, (you rarely see them in the wild) --everyone that sees it will know: "OK there is no doubt in my mind that that guy has a powerful computer, (since they never manufacture weak 17s) and he will surely know at some point in time that I had Two Thousand, Five Hundred dollars to spare on a purchase. It's also intimidating in the music producer environment when you unplug someone else's 15 or 13 and plug in your 17" monster, like as if now we're really getting down to business and let the big dog get in here to produce a hit. (You gotta act like as if its a more capable machine with more tools and plug-ins or something --its very psychological)

I started this thread to get this specific feedback: What are the DOWNSIDES to having the 17? I am looking for opinions from 17 owners on their day to day reactions to this giant slab with a big beautiful screen.

Talk me out of it.

What are some of the negatives that you have seen from around the boards and lets gather them all here so I can try to talk myself out it because otherwise, if there is no compelling criticism that makes me say: "oh yeah, I should get the 15 for that reason!" --then I am buying it this wednesday! I just figure there has never been a better scenario to go 17 considering the prices on the 15 forcing you to spend in the mid 2000s anyways, and also considering the Mac Pro-comparable performance levels.

So what are a list of downsides to the 17"?

2. ChronoIMG macrumors regular

ChronoIMG

The screen resolution is a huge turn off to me with the 17" model. While I don't mind the size or the extra 1 pound in weight, I don't like the fact it's 1920x1200. This will effect your gaming.

I went with the high-end 15" high res, 1680x1050 is plenty in a portable. So basically, why not get the smaller laptop with the same power as the 17" but with a more comfortable screen resolution for full native resolution gaming.

3. Bobby Corwen, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

So you're saying the screen is too large and the resolution not large enough so it has less fine detail than a 1680 15" screen?

So a high res 15 would look prettier in detail?

Or does it more have to do with the ratio and shape of the resolution/screen?

4. crusher372 macrumors member

I purchased a base 15" model and have not regretted it a bit. Now I am not a huge gamer as I have all of the major consoles to do that side of things however I do play WOW and a few steam games and it handles all of those very well. Very pleased with my purchase :D

5. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I went through this internal conflict this weekend. From what I gathered, finding bags and cases for the 17" is much harder, and carrying the 17" around is a muh bigger PITA despite its only minorly larger dimensions. I also hear that the GPU will have a harder time pushing the pixels due to the much higher resolution screen. The 17" also has an expresscard slot instead of SD, which may or may not be a good thing.

Either way, I went ahead and ordered my 17" as the screen was just too beautiful to pass on. I'd be glad to post back once I get it.

6. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I think he means you get lower framerates with the higher resolution and same gpu.

7. ChronoIMG macrumors regular

ChronoIMG

^ This.

8. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

oooohhh right right, thats more power that the systems need to push for a higher resolution. Gotcha.

9. Jaimi macrumors regular

The only problem I would have with the 17 is the size. I had a 17" XPS at one time, and was hard to use in some places -- Almost impossible on a commercial flight, especially when the guy in front of you lays his chair back completely. The XPS was heavy, but the MBP 17 is not, so probably not a consideration. I've purchased 14" and 15" inch notebooks ever since.

10. Sanderr macrumors regular

With all due respect, but a lot of music professionals do not think that way. Since the gear-whoring really came up over the last few years everyone is constantly getting the latest software & plugins whenever they hit the street instead of really learning and getting to know the stuff they already have. I understand that in some rare situations it might be beneficial to make a better impression, but you have to live up to the expectations for it not to turn into a thought of "ahh here is the next dude with zero knowledge and a million plugins". If you get my point ;)

11. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

If you go to your WoW graphics settings and slide the slider all the way to the right. What happens? Try it.

Are the graphics perfectly fluid? Or sluggish?

12. ozred macrumors 6502

1) Apples laptops are priced to achieve maximum profit for the company. That's what they do because they can pull it off. Overpriced MBP's are a fact of life period. It's nothing new.

2) They're no downsides. I have all three sizes because I have a use for them and I've ignored the pricing for years. Basically if one wants a Mac you have no choice but to pay for the name.

If you want value buy a PC, they're great. Only the uniformed haters bash them.

I use & appreciate both. I'm platform neutral.

13. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Big +1. Nothing else to add really. You said it all.

14. crusher372 macrumors member

On Ultra I do get a slight hiccup from time to time, but I have never looked at any MBP as a gaming machine so dialing back to high with sunshafts and liquid detail lowered as well yields a great experience. This all coming from a guy who doesn't need the absolute best graphics money can buy to enjoy a game so YMMV. I am also running this to a 24" lcd so running it at a higher resolution than the 15" as well. I will play around tonight running only on the 15" and see how it goes.

15. Sanderr macrumors regular

And to add to that, some people are literally stunned when I show up at a studio with my 4 year old whitebook and see that I did a huge 60 track recording (with track freezing naturally, but still) on just that "4 year old email machine". So it might also work the other way around. Just some food for thought :)

16. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah sure for old school bitter engineer types, but I'm over here hustlin' hood dreamers.

When that bassy kick drops, its over.

17. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah I see that's another demerit. I cant comfortably potentialy unleash it in certain places like a plane, or even other situations where I might be pressed for space.

One thing to consider though is I would probably have my phone out before I had my laptop out on a plane honestly. Id probably be playing Zenonia 2 or browsing using the inflight WIFI while listening to music. And I only fly like once or twice a year. A lot of people bring up planes when they consider laptop purchases. It happens so rarely for a lot of those same people though I would imagine haha.

18. Sanderr macrumors regular

Old school bitter engineers think that way about everyone with a laptop-setup. But if you think that way go for it by all means. Just don't be surprised when you'll work with real professionals that they'll have a good laugh.

19. Sanderr macrumors regular

I think you're right in not letting that judge your decision. The 15" is just as cumbersome and difficult to use in a plane as the 17". Only the 13" is much better to use, but since you are aiming for a 15 or 17 that is out of the question anyway :)

20. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Lol why would they all have a good laugh? I guess they would have a good laugh at anything I would do I guess, since they're real professionals and I am just some amateur with a MBP and an ear for modern music.

OH And WAVES Plugins!!!

Now what...

21. magbarn macrumors 68000

+1, my 2010 GT330M (which BTW is much faster than the low-end ATI 6490M), already slows down in Raids and Dalaran. I like the eye-candy, so the $1800 machine would be pretty bad on ultra.

22. Jaimi macrumors regular

I used to fly long international flights all the time as part of my work, and I could get the 15 to work by pulling it back on the tray a bit. The 17 was impossible. You're right about phones now, they've come a long way since then. I guess I'm just gun shy. :)

23. krimsen macrumors member

As someone who owned each size of Apple Laptop since the Powerbooks got the Alu body, let me tell you I developed a strong preference for the 15".

17" has a nice, big screen going for it, but most of the time it's only marginally faster than the best 15" config and imho not worth the extra cost. It is a bit heavier (negligible), a bit bigger (does not fit in most messenger bags, for example) and my unibody 17" had some flex to its bottom, which always made me feel funny...

As with reactions: I never noticed much difference between the white Macbook and 13" MBP and the Air and bigger MBPs which are less common. Why this is so important is beyond me, though :confused:

24. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm tired of playing Starcraft II on my 2010 13" and having to turn the graphics down to look like Starcraft I.

Lol

25. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Very real info there. Thank you. The fact you developed a strong preference for the 15 is what worries me the most. Its like its the perfect sweet spot. When I had my 15 I felt like grass was greener on the other side and went with the extra portable 13" but now I realized it's downsides too.

The flex thing is awkward but understandable. Although I do plan to walk around the house while non-chalantly having full-screen HD video-calls with people like its an every-day thing whenever my friends come over. The 17 would be most hilarious for that...