With the lowered price in the refurb store, I feel 'extre screwed'

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shamash, Oct 23, 2012.

1. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

So at first, I didn't want to complain about buying an iPad 3rd gen 4 months ago. Although I wasn't expecting a new version until March, it happened, oh well. I decided I may as well sell my iPad 3rd gen and buy the iPad Mini.

But now I see that the iPad 3rd gen is only 469 for my 32gb model. I paid 599+69 for the leather smartcover, and now if I want to effectively DOWNGRADE to the iPad Mini, I'm looking at selling my iPad for about 450$ at the most, since nobody pays more for accessories, which is a pretty big hit I think for such a small time with an Apple product.

I know, I know, I'm a whiner, whatever, but it was pretty distasteful for Apple to do this. Most companies of this calibre playing this game let you know when they're about to release a new version of a product. Having a surprise 4th generation iPad was really a slap in the face to existing customers.

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

I am in the same boat having purchased my iPad 3 in late July. I got over it and just said oh well, this is the new Apple...they learned people will upgrade no matter what, so why not pump out the OS and Hardware upgrades as fast as possible to stoke the revenue engine.

I gave up on chasing Apples upgrade cycles and will use what I have for as long as it serves my needs, which is far longer than the Apple upgrade cycle. And with the trend now moving toward non user upgradable hardware in the computer line, Apple is clearly moving to force users to upgrade sooner rather than upgrade say memory or a HDD to extend life.

3. leukotriene macrumors regular

Take this not as buying advice, but as life advice (I'm serious): when you learn to let go of the things that are out of your control and be happy with what has been given to you in life, you will be a much happier person. I mean this with total sincerity.

4. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

I would rather see Apple invest in moving forward the platform then worry about passing off a few people who for some reason feel that the iPad 3 they bought just turned into a useless obsolete iPad now that the 4th gen is out.

I am still using my first gen iPad and it works as great as the day I bought it.

Buy for the features you need today, don't worry about it. Your iPad will still work years from now.

Invest in the spy etf if you want something that appreciates over time.

----------

Totally agree with that advice.

5. cnguyen0320 macrumors regular

I don't think it was a smart move for a refresh and to even sell refurb iPad 3s at such a low price is insulting to rational customers (the ones not drooling over every Apple product). They should have just extended the next refresh an extra 6 months instead of pushing it back. One thing is for sure though, iPad 4s probably won't sell as fast as if they had waited longer. Its disappointing to say the least. I just bought my iPad 3 31 days ago so too late to return... I agree its not the end if the world but is definately unfair to start offering the same product I bought 31 days ago for full price for now a huge price cut. Oh well

And by the way, no one would buy an iPad 2 if refurb 3s were at 379.99

6. MR1324 macrumors 6502

your fault for buying an ipad 4 months ago and not getting a better deal. no one should be paying retail months after release. there were plenty of used ones you could have bought and broken close to even after selling it.

7. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I bought a best buy open box for 430 months ago (16 wifi)

Still lame to have two iPad refreshes in one year.

But I love my jailbroken 3 with a great display!

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Huh? Nothing wrong with the iPad 3, still a great tablet. Apple will support it for about 3 yrs just like the iPad 4.

If on the other hand you have to have the latest gadget from Apple you're going to need deep pockets.

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

So when should Apple start selling a refreshed product? Should they stop all sales for 30 days before a new version is due? Should they secretly tell only people waiting at the register to make a purchase?

Ever hear of the Osbourne Effect? Osbourne was a computer company that made one of the first "portable" PCs (size of a suitcase, but this was back in the day). They sold a ton then said "Just wait for our new version! It'll be even better." Guess what? Everyone waited. Their sales dried up so quickly, that coupled with some production delays (that every company faces), they went out of business before the new units went on sale. Not saying the same will happen to Apple, but could you imagine what would happen to Apple sales if they announce a new product coming soon to replace the old one? It's bad enough that Apple has no iMacs to sell right now. And iPads move in far greater numbers.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I really don't think anyone should sell their iPad 3 immediately. You are responding to new release hype.

It's madness to sell an iPad 3 at a loss to buy an iPad 4 or a mini. You could lose hundreds. If you are within the return window then exchange it of course, but otherwise I think it's better to hang on and get more use out of it. The iPad 3 is still a retina LTE tablet after all and is plenty advanced.

11. cnguyen0320 macrumors regular

I think apple should offer me some compensation which is (I think) fair. When they have yearly events, we get used to that and we buy expecting a certain schedule. Here's a comparison, you buy a 2012 car in early 2012 for full price and a month later, they come out with 2013 (in early 2012!) with the same price as your 2012 when you bought it. Since they dramatically change the cycle it would piss off anyone. You can't say you wouldn't be mad.

I'm not saying my iPad 3 is so much less useful. I'm saying I could have saved money and in the end, thats what matters to me and many others. I'm not complaining about the decline in my iPad's "newness". Its a bad economy and we all just want everyone to play fair.

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

But when did Apple state they were on a 1 year product cycle? If they announced back in March 2012 that the next iPad would come out in March 2013, then instead released it sooner, I could accept your argument. But since when are Apple product cycles so precise? If they were, the iMac and Mac mini would have been updated long ago. And don't get me started on the Mac Pro. It's been what, 2 years, since its had a major refresh? The iPhone 4 to 4S was more than a year, unless you count the Verizon version (which might even count as a substantial change since it eliminated the death grip issue).

Apple's yearly product cycles are far from it. And it's only an educated guess when they'll come out.

13. cnguyen0320 macrumors regular

It want exact but it was close to become an widely accepted cycle. iPhones and iPods were always 2nd half of the calendar year. iPads had been beginning half of the year for three years. Although it is not always precise, a rough cycle is accepted by the consumers. Also look at your examples, all at least a year. Most people would agree that is an acceptable recycle rate, NOT 6 months.

14. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

It's not their release cycle or the specs of the new iPad 4.

I was reading another user's post earlier and he/she hit the nail on the head, saying something to the effect that Apple has basically devalued the iPad 3, first by removing it from the line up entirely and 2nd by selling the refurbs so cheaply.

It makes sense, why would someone buy an iPad 3 from you for close to retail when a) they can buy a 4th gen new, or b) wait and buy a used 4th gen or buy a mini or a still in the lineup iPad 2?

What happened is that it's place in the lineup determined it's value, not what it's made out of, or consequently what many of iPad 3 owners probably feel their models are worth.

I'm of the thought that I better just use the heck out of it, and make up my "value" that way - though that means exactly nothing will change for me, and I'm OK with that.

The 2nd iOS gets to a point with new hardware that apps are leaving my iPad 3 behind then I'll upgrade, or if it dies, etc.

15. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

WoW! Talk about 1st world problems. It's a good thing the iPad is improving so rapidly. It's good for the platform, good for the customers and good for the stock holders. There is always going to be something better. That's a good thing.

----------

Buahahahahahaha. Now that there is funny.

Apple sold you an amazing device at a price you agreed on.

They don't owe you anything.

16. hcho3 macrumors 68030

9.7 inch iPad was barely upgraded.....

They snapped in A6 Processor with HD facetime Camera.

I don't they those updates are game changer.

I am not interested in this one because they did not make it thinner and lighter.

17. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

There hasn't been an iPad long enough to create any "accepted" cycle. You made an assumption with very little knowledge and you're not happy. It's not Apple's fault. Apple's job is to produce the best gear at the best price they can. not to hold stuff back. Yes, Apple. please keep improving. They did the right thing.

18. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

Nowadays, all tech becomes "obsolete" within minutes of it being released.

Does your machine still work effectively? Yes? Then it is fine... You can upgrade in a few years.

19. cnguyen0320 macrumors regular

3 years is well long enough in the world of tech.

20. parrot5 macrumors 6502

Um.. The car comparison. By releasing a new car early, did the manufacturer just make your current car go slower? Rust faster? No.
    By releasing a new iPad, does it take away functionality of your current iPad or make it slower? No.
    First world problems? Yes.

21. cnguyen0320 macrumors regular

I answered this before. I'm not complaining about the decreased greatness of the device but the wide price difference it would have saved me. I'm sure we can all agree consumers like to save money. And anyone, not just first world, likes to save money. No one likes feeling ripped off. And no they didn't rip me off, but the extra $120 I paid is not justified.

22. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

Call or go to the Apple Store. They ARE accepting returns outside of the 14 day return period. It's worth a try.

23. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

This is different then comparing it to a car company. They release cars every year, sometimes models get canceled. Yes, cars are "upgraded" etc. But the value of the previous year models goes hand in hand with a) usage (mileage) b) wear & tear c) features

Like I said, the real issue I think people have is that it has been totally devalued by the company that produces it. I think this goes down a lot more smoothly for iPad 3 owners if the iPad 2 was retired and the 3 took it's place, but that would somewhat confuse the iPad line and probably would have pushed the 4 to a higher, unrealistic price point while taking away the accessibility of the 2.

24. cnguyen0320 macrumors regular

My anger stems from buying it so recently and expecting a refresh much later than it was. I love my iPad, I hate how they changed the price so quickly without even as much as a hint.

25. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

What do u do about gas for your car? Cry for a refund when it goes up? Get over this is life. Prices change.