With the m7 coprocessor, why bother buying a fitness tracker?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Soulweaponry, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Soulweaponry macrumors 6502

I was just thinking this as I put on my fitbit flex and as I notice that my fitbit app was updated with "no fitbit? No problem. Just use your iPhone"

And it's a free feature. If I can use Fitbits amazing software and use my iPhone as the sensor, why even bother buying a Fitbit? Them letting you use the coprocessor with their app seemed a little odd to me

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Many people do not like to carry the phone with them while running and doing other forms of exercise. With the fitbit, you wouldn't have to.

Also, the iPhone itself does not track sleep. You can buy apps for it, or use a fitbit.

The iPhone's abilities now I'm sure are enough for most people, however, there still are valid reasons for buying a fitbit.

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I agree with Tyler. My girlfriend doesn't carry her iPhone with her (it's in her purse during work) - so having a Fitbit helps her count her steps. Plus with an iPhone 6, she can't fit her iPhone in her pocket comfortably.

Also, I don't want to sleep with an iPhone in my pocket, so it can't track sleep for me. And plus the Fitbit can wake you up with a vibrating alarm that won't wake up your partner.

I'm not saying the co-processor in iPhone is useless, but it isn't the end-all-be-all to fitness tracking. I use it currently but I'm waiting for Fitbit to release their new line though.

4. ttmrn macrumors regular

u all know.. that fitbit has no intention of integrating with the healthkit(?)

5. Playgear macrumors regular

They're in quite some trouble right now too. The media are starting to post about it.

6. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

Not true. The Fitbit app for iOS is compatible with the M7 processor and you can grant or deny it access to the Motion Activity data from Settings>Privacy>Motion Activity

7. ttmrn macrumors regular

8. Hal~9000 macrumors 68020

Hal~9000

Has the M7 been proven to be as accurate as fitness bands?

9. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

There still is no elegant solution for cycling. m7 or fitbit useless for the cardio I do daily.

10. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

11. TRC-WA macrumors regular

Because my Fitbit One clips to my belt a lot better than my 6+?

You really bought the Flex? That's a great device as long as you don't care about accuracy. While wearing it on your wrist go ahead and start waving... You'll get credit for at least 15-20 steps... LOL

12. Soulweaponry thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what held me back from getting the flex for so long. The Nike fuel band and its horrible accuracy almost kept me away from wristband bases trackers forever. Then I decided "screw it. I'll try it, do lots of testing and if i don't like it I'll return it".

I compared my flex to my one in testing to ridiculous amounts. Wore both at the same time for more than a week and they were consistently within a hundred steps of each other. The flex, like the one, doesn't start counting steps until you have continuous movement for awhile. You don't just wave your hand a couple times and "whoa. 2 more steps!" It waits to see how long you're moving, then adjusts from there.

Also compared it to the iPhone's tracker. Surprisingly accurate. I think for those that like to just walk though and always have their phone on them, using the iPhone with the fitbit or argus app is the way to go. One less thing to charge

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

It can use some work!

How can I see a list that tells me how many steps, total for each day? When I look up "Show all Data" I get a HUGE list of steps taken, minute by minute! WTF, What good is that. The graph is fine but a ltotal for past days would be helpfull.

----------

Most will give you "bonus steps" while driving over a bump in the road!:p

----------

Has anyone got the cycling data to show up after riding you bike? Does this require additional hardware or does the iPhone know I am riding my bike?

14. TRC-WA macrumors regular

The One is the highest rated Fitbit and that's what I went with... I originally bought the Flex and returned it due to horrible inaccuracy.

No device is perfect but I can tell you that I tested the One while driving and sitting still waving while holding the device and it didn't register bogus steps.

Was good enough for me.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I own the fitbit but found it to be simular in accuracy as my iPhone 6 so it now sits in a drawer with a dead battery. I see no reason to carry both!

16. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I have the Fitbit Force. I tested it on my non-dominant hand and I really have to be waving my arms like an orchestra conductor for it to register the movement.

If anything, it misses steps for me because that's also the side that I carry my purse, and I typically don't swing that arm when my purse is on my shoulder.

I forgot my Force at home today - charged it overnight and forgot to set a reminder to put it back on this morning. Now I feel nekkid. :(