With Watch OS2, how much will the watch be capable of without the iPhone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mashinhead, Sep 19, 2015.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I'm considering getting one, but what's holding me back is the watch's dependency on the phone. I know the new OS will support native apps, but without wireless connectivity how much is that really going to help? It has wifi, but not cellular data. And how easy would it be to connect to public networks without a phone?

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Personally, I use all the phone functions of the watch more than the apps. I think without the phone, it's almost useless. Not to mention you need a phone to even set it up. You can't get past the set up screen without a phone paired to it.

3. Beards macrumors 6502

Beards

As far as wireless networks go ~ providing you have already been to a place with both the phone and watch the watch will then remember the wireless network and use it independent of the phone..

4. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

I guess, at the end of the day, it's a watch... so even without the phone on you, it's hardly "useless". You still have the fitness capabilities - especially if you've taken the time to calibrate the Watch (so no GPS isn't even a showstopper). As mentioned above, you'll still have wifi connectivity for known networks, so messages and mail should still get you your notifications. Native 3rd party apps... not so much, at least, in my OS 2 testing so far.

So... if you leave your iPhone at home or something, the answer is "still quite a bit".

If you don't have an iPhone, that's different... not a smart buy, if that's the case.