Withdrawal from Iraq cities: Departure of U.S. troops a test for Maliki

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jun 30, 2009.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We'll see what happens, I suppose.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-iraq-pullout-jun30,0,4117687.story

2. DELLsFan macrumors 6502a

DELLsFan

The news is welcome. I hope it won't be exploited by BHO's people as being THEIR idea. Everyone knows W couldn't do anything right, but the pull out and transfer of power to Iraq's government and security forces has been planned, steady, and underway long before it became a talking point before, during, and after the election.

The question remains, can Maliki keep his zealots under control or will they control him?

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Problem is- no one ever believed Bush would follow through with it. Obama had better follow through with it.

We'll see, won't we? I hope he can.

4. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

And on a related note:

http://wsws.org/articles/2009/jun2009/pers-j30.shtml

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Thanks for raining on the parade.

Just kidding. But of course, we all knew that's what this was about from the beginning. It was never about "freedom", 9/11 or anything other than oil.

6. DELLsFan macrumors 6502a

DELLsFan

Yeah ... and the Twin Towers collapsed because they were bombed too, right? The problem with ideas like this and the War for the Oil argument is that some people are too stupid or ignorant to realize it's a little too early to re-write the History books of 2001 / 2003.

No, sorry - there are still people living who actually paid attention to the events as they happened back then instead of relying on PMSNBC, Comedy Central, or Moveon.org. :p

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Excuse me? Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. That's a fact. It's well-documented. Some of us had loved ones in NYC near the towers at the time. Did you? Did you spend days on the phone trying to reach them just to find out if they were still alive? Because I did. It was insanely insulting to people like me when Bush tried to link Iraq and 9/11. We couldn't believe it.

8. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

If "BHO" has any sense he'll let George W. Bush and co. take all the plaudits for Iraq.

9. DELLsFan macrumors 6502a

DELLsFan

Reading comprehension? Feign offense much? Come down from the pedestal a bit, will you? The air is thicker. Channel that negative energy into some good old fashioned NY love for the schmagoolies responsible for building that Freedom Tower, will you? How long has it been quiet at Ground Zero? You might heal faster if yours and the other "loved ones in NYC" were working on the rebuilding instead of finger-wagging, it seems to me.

I never said Iraq had anything to do with 9/11. My comments were an illustration of how preposterous the kook WTC bombing and the War for Oil theories are. It's a shame your talking points and loathing for President Bush are so embedded into your mind you missed this. But then again, I already know there is no room for another idea or ... God forbid, the truth for some people.

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Please enlighten me then. Why did we go into Iraq? And don't say WMD either. We certainly know that isn't the reason. So what is the truth, Oh Wise One Who Knows All? Obviously you know, so spit it out.

And you'll do much better in here if you can it with the insults. I wasn't "feigning offense". You really did p*** me off. Keep it up if you want more.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Except, you know, you didnt actually explain anything with them....

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

My thoughts exactly.

13. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I was about to say the same thing

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm not a fan of the "war for oil" theory either, however you were very quick to conflate the two ideas together.

Also, be careful with your wording, "too stupid or ignorant" is a good way to stir up "feigned offense."

15. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Back OT- I am cautiously optimistic about this. Let's hope this works well. I would really like all of our troops to come home.

16. DELLsFan macrumors 6502a

DELLsFan

Only as a means to indicate both (ideas) were deserving of an equal amount of (my) contempt and disdain. IMO they are both preposterous.

Point taken. While the brunt of my ire was meant to be directed toward the authors of the articles linked in question and to any apologists seeking to re-write history, I can see how my remarks could have been interpreted as a personal attack here. For this, I offer my deepest apologies - and oxygen. :rolleyes:

As would I, sir.

Cheers!

17. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Accepted- and thank you. :)

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Sunni vs Shia, they will go back to the 1,000 year war. Its the islamic religious way. Only thing keeping the peace was the U.S.

19. Queso macrumors G4

LOL. So it's us here re-writing history? That's ****ing hilarious!! :D

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You miss the point, it being throwing democracy on islam is like mixing oil and water. they will go back to what they love and it aint democracy.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I remember Bush trying to allude to a link between the 2, he did it multiple times in his speech. I remember it well. They still bring up 9/11 when talking about Iraq. I remember lots of evidence that there were no WMDs, which there weren't. I remember Saddam had threatened to move to the Euro and sell more oil to everyone else. I remember PNAC making plans to have permanent bases in the ME, Iraq being the epicenter. I remember our troops, my best friend (and other friends) and also my cousin among them, guarding the pipelines while the weapons storage facilities were looted. I watched as all this was happening, and like my best friend's pregnant wife, questioning what the real reasons were as the ones given kept changing, and never really made sense. Even how others were far worse to their own people and far more of a threat to us, yet were all but ignored. I remember suddenly getting involved in politics when I wasn't before. Where were you, and what were you doing?

Noticing several weeks later, you still haven't answered why we did go to Iraq, with so much worse out there, among them the people who actually attacked us, that we pulled resources from the fight against, to make things worse for us and everyone else.

22. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- I remember being absolutely shocked when Bush tried to link 9/11 to Iraq. I thought to myself, "This will never work. People aren't that stupid." I have never been so wrong. Then to hear stories from friends and relatives who went to Iraq- just ridiculous. Every single one of them said it wasn't worth it, and we didn't belong there.

Oh and solvs, don't expect an answer to your question.

23. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

So the United States spent over a trillion dollars so that oil fields could be bid for at a fair market price by essentially two American refiners (ExxonMobile and Chevron) and a slew of foreign oil companies (BP and Shell)?

24. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

that we know about........

25. Queso macrumors G4

The invasion was about control of the resources. It really doesn't matter who wins the auction when the conditions of operation are now specified by the West.