Witnessing the "Antenna-switching" ability of the iPhone in action.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Beeplance, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Since the debut of the 4S, Apple has proclaimed that the phone is "able to intelligently switch between the 2 antennas to get the best 3G speeds possible". Now that the 5 also has this feature, has anyone ACTUALLY WITNESS this feature in action? I'm not sure how to describe it though, just wondering if its possible to see a sudden difference in data speeds when using the iPhone..

2. ManuCH macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if that's what I'm witnessing, but I have noticed an interesting effect when I'm on a 3G HSPA+ network (Swisscom).

If I start the speed test, it starts off quite slowly, at around 4-5 Mbit/s. Then after 1-2 seconds, it's as if someone hit the turbo boost button, and it shoots up to 10-15-20 Mbit/s. As if the iPhone found a new frequency and enabled it, or, well, as if it switched antennas.

3. Beeplance thread starter macrumors 65816

Beeplance

That may seem like it. I don't know, I guess most of the time it just works subtly in the background or something. From what I infer from Phil Schiller's explanation, it's seems as if when there's a poor connectivity, the iPhone will be able to change antennas to get a much better signal... Although its interesting to note that the 4S does have better reception/3G signal as compared to older iPhone models at most locations.

4. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

On my 4S sometimes I notice that I go to 0 bars then it goes to 5 (all while on 3G). Always thought it was just a network or phone issue, but could be the antenna switching maybe.