Wizards of the Coast is bringing Magic: the Gathering to iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by forty2j, Apr 6, 2012.

1. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

2. KevinM2 macrumors 6502

At last, great news!

With this and Baldur's gate for the iPad, this is going to be a fun Summer :)

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

The 13 year old nerd in me was hoping that we would finally get some iOS version of the card game.

4. andrewnguyener macrumors member

awesome news! I've been waiting for this forever!

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Do you know how many packages of ramen noodles I have had to eat because of those cards I bought in high school? Thank goodness the digital games don't make you shell out that much for a deck of mostly lands.

6. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Shadow Era is just as good and has been here for quite some time already.

7. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Is this going to be some fremium model where we pay to buy new boosters, or like the PC game, where for a one-time down payment, we get access to all cards in the game? :confused:

8. forty2j thread starter macrumors 68030

forty2j

DotP has basically a campaign model, where you pick one of several precons to start and as you beat opponents, you unlock cards for the deck you're using, and occasionally new decks. You have quite a bit of control over each deck, but it's not a giant pool of cards where you build whatever you want. It's not MTGO. The emphasis is on playing, not deck building.

Assuming they continue the same model, there will be a one-time purchase (~$10) to start, and a few DLC/in-app purchases (~$5) later for more opponents/cards/decks. That's a lot for an iPad game, but it's what it costs on the other platforms.

9. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

10. dancj macrumors 6502

I love Duels of the Planeswalkers and couldn't get it to work at all well through Splashtop so this is very good news!

11. elistan macrumors 6502a

It's about time. :)
    Sadly, as far as I can tell, it's the DotP product, not a Magic Online client (which is currently Windows .Net only.)
    DotP got old very quickly for me, with its computer-controlled opponents and very limited deckbuilding abilities. Magic Online is a fresh experience every play though, since the opponents are human and the decks are widely varied... Even so, I suspect I'll get this when it comes out, for the novelty of it, but I doubt I'd purchase any expansions or future versions.

12. flashyman macrumors member

13. KevinM2 macrumors 6502

I'm sure anyone who has been following this knows that Magic 2013 Duels of the Planeswalkers has now been released on the iPad.

It looks awesome on a retina screen too!! Lovin it so far :)

Free app (1Gb download) and a $10 in-app purchase to fully unlock it. Well worth it. If you are even vaguely interested in MTG, you'll love this app.

14. DrMotownMac macrumors 6502

DrMotownMac

Magic: The Gathering is back in my life!!!

I used to play Magic: The Gathering, the original card game, when it first came out around 1993 or 1994. Then, after graduating from school and entering the real world, and after my school friends who used to play with me all moved to different states, I put away my Magic cards and haven't played again since...until now. I have to say that this version of Magic on the iPad is AMAZING!! It brings back all of the fun of Magic without worrying about finding a large flat surface for playing, or losing cards or life counters, etc. The iPad is really the perfect format for the electronic version of this game, since the multitouch interface gives you the FEELING of playing a card game, without having to deal with all of the STUFF, the shuffling, the space, and the need to be in the same location as your opponent!!

You can play against the AI opponents, or you can play friends online through the Game Center. The only problems are (1) you are limited to the decks (and deck expansions) the game allows for you, (2) you can only play one opponent at a time (no more than two real players per game) and (3) there is no online communication, so while you can play other people over the net, you can't talk or chat with them.

The ideal Magic game on the iPad would allow for up to four players at a time, allow at least online voice chatting (or VIDEO chatting??), and add a deck creation module where you can take ALL of the cards you've earned or purchased, and mix them in any way you'd like to make your perfect killer deck. That last part is the most important, since one of the most fun parts of the original game is in deck building, as that's a completely different strategy than the playing strategy, which the iPad game handles quite well.

Anyone else have any experience with this game yet? I am totally addicted to it and can't seem to put my iPad down!!! I thought Plants vs. Zombies, Angry Birds and Where's My Water were addictive. This is in a totally different league!!!

15. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I've never played magic the gathering before (except a small demo of it on Xbox), and I loved it. I played it for 15 hours straight 2 days in a row after I first bought it, well worth even more than the $10 it costs. It may not have console quality graphics (in terms of high polygon 3D FPS's), but it most certainly console quality gameplay.

16. elistan macrumors 6502a

DrMotownMac, you need to check out Magic Online. (Currently Windows only though.) It does everything that you'd like the iPad app to do. You can find it on the WotC website.

17. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

18. jesterscourt macrumors regular

DotP is a decent title. And this is coming from someone who has played Magic on and off since Revised. That being stated, the timers and all of that are just bulky, if you want a card game for iOS done right, please check out Ascension

19. DrMotownMac macrumors 6502

DrMotownMac

Thanks, elistan! I haven't seen that before! Now, I have a MacBook Air (13 inch, Oct. 2010 version), but it has Parallels installed with Windows 7. Do you know if Magic Online will run on my machine? I'll have to give it a try.

That being said, I do LOVE the iPad interface for this game. The mouse/trackpad thing is a hindrance when it comes to card games. The multitouch interface feels much more natural and fluid. Hopefully, they'll bring Magic Online to iPad in the future.

20. elistan macrumors 6502a

I don't know about that specific config, but Magic Online works fine on my Windows XP instance running in Virtual Box. This is on my 2010 iMac.

21. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

yes sir!

22. kaydot macrumors regular

I downloaded the demo and am quite new to Magic. I love the App but because I'm new, I can't consistently win in the demo. The demo gives me a red deck with lots of flying haste creatures, and pits you up against a green deck with some big creatures with trample. Pretty soon, the AI gets out quite a few "land accelerators" to play two lands in a turn and all of a sudden has an 8/8 trampling creature followed on by a card that gives him life for each land he owns! The only time I've beaten the green deck AI has been when he has literally had such a bad shuffle that he didn't play a creature for 8 turns.

23. xraytech macrumors 68020

I was about to write a review but you pretty much summed it up.

Like you, I got into the game with a bunch of friends at around about the Revised Version of the game. I put the cards down right around the time when WotC produced Preconstructed Decks.

I've played the XBox 360 version but I never warmed up to it simply because the UI was very clunky. Imagine trying to play Bejeweled with an XBox 360 Controler and you'll know what I'm talking about.

On the iPad, "It Just Works!". Multitouch interface is perfectly suit for this game. Dragging a card into the field of play and tapping cards to activate; it feels like I just dusted off my Stasis Deck.

The only thing I would add is the ability to construct my own deck. Other than that, this game rocks!!!

24. xraytech macrumors 68020

Goblin decks can be just as fast as Green Creature decks. You may have to purchace the full version so you can have access to 2 or 3 cards that will help even the playing field.

25. andrewnguyener macrumors member

I'm addicted to this game. I've currently been using the White Weenie Aggro deck and it's been killing. Too bad it doesn't have any mythic bombs...