Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrittasMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2003
CA, USA
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/politics/story.jsp?story=379623

Three giant cargo ships are being tracked by US and British intelligence on suspicion that they might be carrying Iraqi weapons of mass destruction.

Each with a deadweight of 35,000 to 40,000 tonnes, the ships have been sailing around the world's oceans for the past three months while maintaining radio silence in clear violation of international maritime law, say authoritative shipping industry sources.

The vessels left port in late November, just a few days after UN weapons inspectors led by Hans Blix began their search for the alleged Iraqi arsenal on their return to the country.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Scary stuff, but I don't know about the reliability level of this information.

I've seen other predictions and info on this site that have led me to question their credibility (like Sharon having a smoking gun that he would use to crush the anti-war movement--going on a month now and I'm still waiting...).

If it is true, thats seriously scary, and would be proof that Saddam isw a real and credible threat. Only time will tell, but I'm not betting the farm on this one.

Taft

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
I'm having trouble buying into this...

As I read the story, the only link to Iraq is rumors that WMD were smuggled via Syria or Jordan. That's it.

Since independent sources haven't confirmed this story, it seems a bit suspect to me. One would think that a "hail mary" play by Saddam Hussein would evoke a substantial pile of evidence falling into the hands of UN members, many of which have substantial intelligence operations that would confirm or deny this story.

Moreover, with the gusto with which the administration provided the last Osama tapes, one would think that this would have been an ideal case to present the American Public.

"Terrorists Ships, offshore: Saddam involved?"

I might be wrong, but this stinks bigtime.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I believe that if the US or anyone alse had any suspicions that these ships may have WMD's from Iraq on them, that they would've boarded and searched the ships by now. Unless they're waiting for something. You never know.

Scarry though...

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by G4scott
I believe that if the US or anyone alse had any suspicions that these ships may have WMD's from Iraq on them, that they would've boarded and searched the ships by now. Unless they're waiting for something. You never know.

Scarry though...

Per the article they are afraid the crews would scuttle the ships and cause a fairly significant ecological disaster. If you thought tons of oil was bad imagine tons of chemical or biological weapons. :eek:

Lethal

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Can you say Navy SEALs?

What the hell do we have them for if we're not going to use them in situations like this?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by e-coli
Can you say Navy SEALs?

What the hell do we have them for if we're not going to use them in situations like this?

That is the first thing I thought too, but who knows what kind of intel the US has 'bout those ships. W/o proper intel on the ships the SEALs would be blind and their ability to take control of the ship before it self destructs would be slim and, at this point in the game, it's not worth the risk. And I think it is a safe assumption to make that the ships have some sort self-destruct on board to prevent them from being captured/boarded.

Lethal

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
what is this administration's definition of a weapon capable of mass destruction? a piece of concrete that can hit and kill a cabinet member or god forbid the president?

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
This is where we need that missile that disables all electrical devices- the ESD thing or something. It would render the crew uncapable of doing anything major, and then highly trained seals could board the ship. If the crew is hostile, then the seals could take care of them, and if not, they would search the ship, and then have it toed to port. Since the ships are in violation of international maritime laws, they wouldn't be able to complain too much about the US frying their electronics...

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
how ironic that these three rogue ships, carrying what may be wmd with catastrophic capabilities, are getting fuel and supplies in yemen.

for those that don't remember, poverty-stricken yemen voted against the u.s's military effort before desert fox/storm. the u.s. immediately cut off $70 million in financial aid to yemen and stirred things up for them with the world bank and imf.

another foreign policy screw-up come back to haunt us...

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by 3rdpath
how ironic that these three rogue ships, carrying what may be wmd with catastrophic capabilities, are getting fuel and supplies in yemen.

for those that don't remember, poverty-stricken yemen voted against the u.s's military effort before desert fox/storm. the u.s. immediately cut off $70 million in financial aid to yemen and stirred things up for them with the world bank and imf.

another foreign policy screw-up come back to haunt us...

Yemen as well as other countries.

I'm sure many planes, cars and ships used for illegal purposes get fueled in the US. Does that mean that the US government sanctions those efforts?

Lethal

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
Yemen as well as other countries.

I'm sure many planes, cars and ships used for illegal purposes get fueled in the US. Does that mean that the US government sanctions those efforts?

Lethal

lets compare apples to apples here...we're not talking about cuban cigars coming in thru mexico.

3 ships, possibly carrying wmd, while maintaining illegal radio silence..sailing somewhat aimlessly since november and the certainty that yemen has been notified of the situation.

my inference is that yemen is "sanctioning the effort". now, what the "effort" truly is... only time will tell.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Originally posted by G4scott
This is where we need that missile that disables all electrical devices- the ESD thing or something. It would render the crew uncapable of doing anything major, and then highly trained seals could board the ship. If the crew is hostile, then the seals could take care of them, and if not, they would search the ship, and then have it toed to port. Since the ships are in violation of international maritime laws, they wouldn't be able to complain too much about the US frying their electronics...

EMP blasts won't do a thing to good ol' chemical explosives. All you need to scuttle a ship is a couple of tons of dynamite. Besides, isn't unrequested boarding of a ship in international waters against international law?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.