WMV file is my "bag of hurt!"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Michael73, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

I need to convert some wmv files into either mp4 or quicktime movies?

How do I do this?

I have Flip4Mac and even tried upgrading to the Pro version. I can't get the wmv files to open in Quicktime. I have a variety of other programs like Handbrake (no dice), Toast Titanium (no dice), Adobe Media Encoder (no dice), Quicktime X and Quicktime 7 Pro and nothing seems to work.

2. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

I can open the files in VLC but I seem to get the audio portion of the recorded webinar only. Further, there seems to be no clear way to save the files out in quicktime or mp4 format.

Basically, I have a client who wants to post some archived webinars and they're all in wmv format. When I realized what a pain this is on the Mac side, I suggested they make them available in a more agnostic format e.g. mp4 or quicktime. They said, "Sure, can you convert them for us?" I can't believe with all the software on my Mac, I can't find *something* that I can open these and re-encode them in a better format.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is a classic symptom of a version of WMV that is newer than WMV-9. You may use either VLC or the QuickTime Player to verify the version of the video.

4. ormie macrumors regular

ormie

5. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

Let me guess? Gotowebinar?

They use a .G2M2 codec that is not compatible with anything. I run into this on a weekly basis. You'll want to download Microsoft Expression Encoder (the free version will work) to encode the video in wmv professional. Then, Handbrake or Visualhub can convert it. You'll need a windows box for this; I've found nothing else that will work.

I hate Gotomeeting for this.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Oh, please:rolleyes: How many times do you have to be told that Perian does not do WMV?

7. ormie macrumors regular

ormie

Well, I didn't know that so, that is the first time I have been told. Here's what it does do going by the web site. File formats: AVI, DIVX, FLV, MKV, GVI, VP6, and VFW
    Video types: MS-MPEG4 v1 & v2, DivX, 3ivx, H.264, Sorenson H.263, FLV/Sorenson Spark, FSV1, VP6, H263i, VP3, HuffYUV, FFVHuff, MPEG1 & MPEG2 Video, Fraps, Snow, NuppelVideo, Techsmith Screen Capture, DosBox Capture
    Audio types: Windows Media Audio v1 & v2, Flash ADPCM, Xiph Vorbis (in Matroska), and MPEG Layer I & II Audio, True Audio, DTS Coherent Acoustics, Nellymoser ASAO
    AVI support for AAC, AC3 Audio, H.264, MPEG4, VBR MP3 and more
    Subtitle support for SSA/ASS, SRT, SAMI

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As you can see, WMV is not on the list.