Woke up to iPhone 4 in DFU mode, unable to recover

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Alphaspida, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Alphaspida macrumors member

I go to check my emails ect but find out my phone isn't turned on. I try to turn it on, but it's not doing anything, not even the low message screen when it needs to charge. I start becoming confused. I plug it into my wall outlet and it doesn't do anything. So I plug it into my computer and it recognized it only once, the first time. It says it was in DFU mode, so I install iTunes (uninstalled for a reason) and click restore. Since it said I would have the option to restore my contacts and other settings I gave it a go. It downloaded 4.3.3 and attempted to install. Then it gave me an error message. "Not enough space on disk" or whatever. Since I had ~1gb of space left on my boot drive (apparently apple cannot have the option to move firmware downloads to another drive) and now had 20mb, I figured it was my main drive. I delete as much files as I can to make space for the firmware and iTunes and attempt it again, all while my phone was plugged in. This time I had ~500mb space left after the firmware was downloaded. I continued to repeat the process only to get the same error message.

Tl;dr I wake up to find my iPhone 4 in dfu mode, unable to restore with error message "not enough space on disk" when there is.

Note I had dropped the phone in the toilet about a month ago, but it shouldn't be affecting it now.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Why not, corrosion can take awhile.

3. celticpride678

4. Alphaspida thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I'll try restarting my computer soon as I am done doing a few important things right now.

5. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Just another vote for the corrosion theory. After a phone has liquid contact problems can show up anytime after that.

6. Alphaspida thread starter macrumors member

7. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Warranty does not cover liquid damage. You can do an out of warranty replacement for $199

8. Alphaspida thread starter macrumors member

How would they know it is water damage when the incident occurred over a month ago

9. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Water damage indicators. They can also open it up and see the corrosion.

10. Casiotone macrumors 6502a

Casiotone

Like every cellphone the iPhone has a moisture detector that turns red if it gets wet (and stays red). I think there is one in the headphone jack and another in the dock connector.

You can always try, as Apple recently softened their policies about presumed water damage on iPhones, but good luck.

11. Alphaspida thread starter macrumors member

I don't see any red where the water indicators are.