Woman are not mentioned in the constitution and that is unacceptable!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by raqball, May 2, 2019.

1. raqball macrumors 68000

Well so says (D) presidential hopeful Eric Swalwell....... Yeah you can't really make this stuff up so I'll let his own tweet speak for itself.

https://twitter.com/ericswalwell/status/1123408951075397637

[​IMG]

The 8,586 likes are also a bit concerning....

And a few responses to the doofuses tweet shall we?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    It amazes me the stuff that comes out.
    Maybe Twitter has become our favorite method of conveying Presidential / Wanna-Be Presidential comedy? :D

3. Solver macrumors 6502a

Wow! I am amazed that this outrage came from someone else other than AOC.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

5. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

I would suggest he tabs AOC as his VP.... :p

Those 2 doofuses on the same ticket? Holy cow, talk about comedy central!

6. appleisking macrumors 6502a

It’s stupidity and shameless pandering combined.

7. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

It’s a dumb way to phrase the issue, but he’s not wrong regarding the broader point. Yes, the Constitution does not mention men or women, but key provisions of the Constitution have historically been interpreted as protecting only men. That’s why women were denied the right to vote until passage of the 19th Amendment. Right now, equal protection for women is protected by statute, but not by the Constitution, and passage of the Equal Rights Amendment is long overdue.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

With so many Democrats fighting for airtime/attention/donations the only way to stand out is to say outrageous things.

9. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Yes you’re right the 14th amendment guaranteeing equal protection of the laws only applies to men. Facepalm

10. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

He is the same moron who wants to lob nukes at gun owners... I would say the dude is way out in left field but that would be an insult to left fielders....

11. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Don't think she is old enough ....

12. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

She is not.. It twas a joke.... :D

13. theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

Lol. This just made my day. Just when you think they can't get more stupid, they find a way to.

14. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

This guy is either dumb or trying to rabble rouse or really bad at getting to their point (let the PRSI member without these sins cast the first stone). However it's good to remind ourselves of history and how the constitution needed an amendment (the 19th amendment... ratified in 1920) for women to have the same rights and liberties as her fellow Amercian males.

15. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

It's almost like they are trying to get Trump reelected.....

I am still try to decide what's worse.. His statement or the 8,000+ who liked it..... I'll say his statement is but just wow at those 8K... LOL

16. Mousse macrumors 68010

Mousse

It's probably because a comedian became President of the Ukraine (and the Joke™ became POTUS). Now every other joker thinks they're presidential material.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

17. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Most people would think so, but here’s part of an interview with Antonin Scalia from 2010:

In 1868, when the 39th Congress was debating and ultimately proposing the 14th Amendment, I don’t think anybody would have thought that equal protection applied to sex discrimination, or certainly not to sexual orientation. So does that mean that we’ve gone off in error by applying the 14th Amendment to both?

Yes, yes. Sorry, to tell you that. ... But, you know, if indeed the current society has come to different views, that’s fine. You do not need the Constitution to reflect the wishes of the current society. Certainly the Constitution does not require discrimination on the basis of sex. The only issue is whether it prohibits it. It doesn’t. Nobody ever thought that that’s what it meant. Nobody ever voted for that. If the current society wants to outlaw discrimination by sex, hey we have things called legislatures, and they enact things called laws. You don’t need a constitution to keep things up-to-date. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box. You don’t like the death penalty anymore, that’s fine. You want a right to abortion? There’s nothing in the Constitution about that. But that doesn’t mean you cannot prohibit it. Persuade your fellow citizens it’s a good idea and pass a law. That’s what democracy is all about. It’s not about nine superannuated judges who have been there too long, imposing these demands on society.

18. Solver macrumors 6502a

If he did that against all the people that thought they had a right to defend themselves, it would eliminate his gun ownership problem. And everyone would be equal after that. And no one would worry about climate change.
    (He’s toast!)

19. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

20. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Candidate Twitter wars?
    Top Dem and GOP run against each other?
    :D

21. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

I got a giggle out of the hashtag #ERANow but I would have suggested he also include a #basta for good measure as well....

22. Solver macrumors 6502a

Only “him” and “her” is mentioned in the US Constitution, but not any of the other 100 plus recently made-up gender names.
    No wonder the far left wants a “living document.”

23. Admiral, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019

Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

Swalwell is dumb. One of the dumbest, actually. On top of that, he's dishonest and authoritarian. There is no evidence he's on the take, but give him time. On the plus side, Swalwell will never be President.

24. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Coincidentally, he isn't alone in the self owning department...

[​IMG]

25. samcraig macrumors P6

Come on guys - "men" appears dozens of times. Every time the word Amendment is used!!!