Woman arrested after topless road rage attack

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Jul 27, 2017.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

so she was armed with a knife and two guns. she just picked the wrong target.

http://www.capecodtimes.com/news/20170725/woman-charged-after-alleged-topless-road-rage-incident

59788bc34d3cc.image.png

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

"A Sandwich woman """"""""""""" aren't they all?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

If she's only 39 then I'm a unicorn. Jeez, I am 50 and she looks like she could be my mother, and I'm not saying I'm a supermodel. :eek:

If that pic isn't a deterrent to drinking and hard partying, I don't know what would be. I'll stick to my tea, coffee, and the occasional donut and my wild life of reading technology rumors. I hope the poor woman gets the help she needs to make a better life for herself before it's too late.

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

<best Wanye Campbell impersonation>
    Does this chick know how to party or what!? :D
    </best Wanye Campbell impersonation>

Well that's one messed up situation, but here women have the right to go topless, so that be at least one charge less!

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

6. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

The wonderful cosmetic effects of alcoholism.

Shenanigans like this would happen on Cape Cod. There is something "different" about the people who live on the Cape full time. It's hard to explain.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

All I can think of is the sandwich police looking to see if there is a condiments violation.

8. Gutwrench Suspended

Gutwrench

Man I'm glad this ended well. It's a well know fact that the only thing that will put down an armed drunken charging topless female are solid silver bullets.

Lewd and lascivious for being topless? Lol. Great experience.

9. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

This would definitely boost the ratings on the Cops TV show.

Assault with deadly weapons :).

10. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

11. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

By "solid silver bullets" you mean full cans of Coors light... right? :D

12. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Cause everybody leaves jail a better person to the warm accepting embrace of society. We've really nailed that one in this country.

13. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

If she came at me topless I would have ran away too.

14. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

So true.

Also, to anyone that might ever be on Cape Cod: After 11pm on weekend nights, >50% of the drivers on the roads are drunk. Assume everyone is drunk and keep your distance accordingly.

15. A.Goldberg, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I think it's related to the off-season of physical and social isolation followed buy the busy tourist season that futhet promotes social isolation. Tourists always end up annoying the locals ;)

Also very true. Not just in the summer either and sadly not not just alcohol. There are really bad addiction statistics/overdose rate on the cape these days... the worst in the state.

16. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

I can only express my hope and wish for her to work out a better life for herself. The lady pastor who conducted my wedding ceremony has dedicated her life to helping women like this lady and has some success stories. Our media doesn't cover it very often but there are hardworking people who try to help.

The key word being "try".

Meanwhile, closer to home we deal with an extended family member with drug and alcohol addiction and we've provided that warm accepting embrace but have been dragged into a consuming black pit you can't imagine unless you've got a loved one of your own struggling like this. All of us-- aunts, uncles, siblings, grandparents, cousins regularly step in to help with money, time, heartfelt talks, prayers, listening at all hours whenever he calls, despite having been lied to and stolen from. We put aside what normally would be grievances and try to understand and accept the unacceptable. Everyone has tried every bit of advice we've been given, to no avail.

Prison--an actually very humane one--some judges and prison programs are more caring than people can imagine--and rehab have not helped except very incrementally.

We all struggle to understand why rehab doesn't seem to work for some people. We know there's a genetic component at play because his maternal grandfather and uncle died of the same addictions. I think at this point only medical research is going to hold the key to helping some of these people. It's not all a matter of what society or family or love can provide.

17. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

after you got done gawking you mean?

18. HEK Suspended

HEK

Based on the title, sounds like road rage in a convertible.

19. kobalap macrumors 6502

Don't you have some normal looking women that you could be fat shaming?

20. MarkusL macrumors 6502

I am unfamiliar with Capecodian culture. Is it like the Florida of the northeast?

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Based on the reported contents of vehicle, sounds like someone requiring certain blood alcohol level to stay "functional", i.e. not seize up or experience delerium tremens, and so also someone who's almost constantly in a state of near withdrawal, one component of which can be extreme paranoia. Hence the knife... for self defense against a perceived cosmos of threats that are actually coming straight out of an empty bottle. She might describe herself as a controlled drinker... when she's had enough of a bottle of beer to feel she has everything under control. Tragic, and fatal if she doesn't get some help to establish and maintain a recovery.

22. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Not quite Florida- not so redneck. I'd say more like a Rhode Island. Both are vacation spots. You have a dichotomy between wealthy people with vacation homes and not as affluent people who live there permanently, especially more inland. With both you have a a weird largely tourism based economy, so in the off season there isn't much going on. So I think people get bored.

Also on the cape housing prices are going up while more people buy summer homes, and the younger, more educated people that grew up there are consequently moving out.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 29, 2017 ---
    I work for an inpatient psych hospital that has various detox, drug rehab, and diagnostic programs. I'm also involved with a private, transitional program for people with mental health disorders, including addiction.

While thankfully no one in my immediate family is affilicted with addiction, at this point anyways, I have a ~29 year old relative (not really related, my unrelated aunt's, sister's, son) who has been caught up in opioid addiction for at least a few years- but likely more.

His family is pretty destitute and his parents have their own mental health issues, he has his own set of mental health issues, all of which probably factor into his drug use. In my experience, 99% of the time people use drugs to cope with negative emotions/experiences and easily slip into addiction. He's been to multiple state funded inpatient and residential programs. My parents and my dad's brother & wife (his aunt and uncle) have paid for at least one round of premium, private pay impatient treatment + months at a sober living facility- tens of thousands of dollars. And yet the struggle continues.

Right now I believe he's on some ridiculously high dose of methadone which isn't ideal, certainly not conducive to living a "normal" life, but at least we know his chances of an overdose or getting arrested are greatly mitigated. Suboxone is a much better option in my opinion in terms of opioid replacement. Due to his addiction his life has been put on hold- no relationships, no family of his own, no career path, no completed higher education. And having nothing to live for makes escaping life through drugs all the more enticing. Again, maladaptive coping.

It's a tough balance being supportive and accepting of those in active addiction, yet not being enabling. I think the world generally could have more compassion for addiction/alcoholism. People can and do recover, but it's probably one of the hardest things one can do in life. Ultimately addicts/alcoholics have to make the decision to be sober. You can shove hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of treatment down someone's throat, all the 12-step philosophy in the world, but if they don't want to get better chances are they won't. At least for long. Often addicts need to suffer enough consequences to make the decision. Sadly, far too often they die from addiction before they make that decision.

As hard as it is to care for people who chronically lie, cheat, steal, manipulate, etc, I find compassion by looking at people like him, roughly my age, looking at the destruction of their lives, and knowing that very well could have been me had I not been so fortunate.

23. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

Er, yeah...myself! Though I wouldn't say I'm normal looking!

You make a very good point. I wasn't attempting to shame her, but now that I look at my post again, I see it could come across that way and I apologize. The way I talk sometimes, jeez! You did well to call me out on it.

I still have a ways to go grasping that people think differently from how it was when I was growing up and with this concept of "shaming". That is a term or concept that's come along more recently in my lifetime and I grew up where we talk kind of bluntly and it never would occur to us we were causing shame or embarrassment. Like I'm really short and had cystic acne most of my life so I got all the short jokes and pizza face comments growing up you can imagine and never really thought twice about it, to be honest, because when I was young we all were on each other's case about something. I mean my best friends were teasing me and I know they didn't mean anything by it so we'd just laugh about it. It might be why I'm so comfortable in my own skin now about aging and menopausal weight gain and all the other things that I do see bothering some other women I know.

Also you probably haven't seen me joking around on this forum but I'll be the first to say I look like the wrong end of the mule. I'm sure some of those posts are around here somewhere. On top of the acne I've had to deal, with I smashed my face into a metal bar when I was 16 in a freak accident and I look it! Plus I've been in more than a few street fights. It's been quite the life! Thank goodness the genetic component of my looks are more or less sound, or my offspring would be totally hopeless. So anyway, having heard it all about my own looks all my life, I sometimes just talk smack without putting proper thought into how it comes across.

But actually I was incredulous whether she's only 39 because the press reports wrong information all the time. The young man in my family I was talking about looks his age, though I can't imagine his liver looks right for his age. If this lady is truly only 39, this isn't some one-off bad weekend bender. She's been at this long enough to accrue some organ damage and it's showing externally. I really do hope it's not medically speaking too late for her to turn her life around and get her physical and mental health back.