All iPads Woman buys ‘new’ iPad from Target with past user’s personal information

Discussion in 'iPad' started by micrors4racer, Dec 3, 2013.

1. micrors4racer macrumors 6502

How can you possibly think a real person owned this iPad after seeing all the professional pictures, contacts with all info filled in, and the label on the box :rolleyes::confused:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews...st-user’s-personal-information-212926070.html

[​IMG]

2. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

3. TmanATL macrumors member

looks like a demonstration unit to me - like one you might find in an apple store.

4. micrors4racer thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats what I was getting to

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

So Targets buying older demo units from Apple ?

6. TmanATL macrumors member

silly -- it's to put on display! they sold it by accident.

7. dr.devious macrumors regular

dr.devious

My local AT&T store accidentally sold their demo units on launch day.

8. Señor macrumors 6502

Señor

Yeah, this is what happened.

Woman probably knows very little about iPad's and jumped to the conclusion that it's used.

Smh.

9. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

Heck, I love all the photos in Photos that are on those demo units! I'd be a happy camper if I was able to get some of those for backgrounds.

----------

On a separate note, I would have died if that had read "woman determined owner to be a man by the name of John Appleseed."

10. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

How do you "accidentally" sell the demo ipad unit? Sounds like target simply tried to dump the display unit on the customer and didn't think of resetting it prior.

11. Rockies macrumors 6502

I would have put it up for sale on EBay for $1K. Being that it is so rare, some nut would be willing to pay big for it.

12. Tork macrumors regular

Tork

It's almost certainly a brand new ("sealed," as the story points out) iPad that they were supposed to keep themselves to put on display, but they sold it by mistake. Many Targets are still displaying the iPad 4, and this one was supposed to replace it.

Pretty funny the customer thinks this is an actual used iPad with real personal info on it... Even if you've never seen an iPad demo unit in a store, you'd think with the "demo" sticker...well, 2+2 and all.

Absolutely. A brand new demo unit definitely would've gone for well over its sticker price.

Summed up nicely:
    http://www.tuaw.com/2013/12/03/target-accidentally-sells-demo-ipad-unit-new-owner-freaks-out/

13. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Bestbuy, B and H and even Amazon sell stuff, as new, if they determine a returned item to be is working order. But what a demo unit is doing in the inventory is interesting.