Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Pulling an iGav[ina] on us this time, A-man?

I'm thinking that the person that made the purchase wanted to either (A) prepare enough chocolate for deserts at a restaurant, or (B) begin one of those expensive chocolate-bathing fantasies that some people have once in a while. Usually, the chocolate-bathing one is more common with pudding, though.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
That news article is a perfect reason why I couldn't be super-rich. I'd be doing that type of thing on a daily basis- just to get people to scratch thier heads.
10k Mars bars in a limo...that's borderline genius ;)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
this
is
so
cool!

more rich people need to do these things. I hope it's not a gag for a reality show?

paul

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Celebs go in and buy a months worth of stuff all the time. I don't see the big deal. A bit odd cause it is mars bars, but thats about it.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Koodauw said:
Celebs go in and buy a months worth of stuff all the time. I don't see the big deal. A bit odd cause it is mars bars, but thats about it.

Yeah but, a month's worth for the store? Even if she ate 5 every day, which i would consider a lot (oh, sure, we could all do it for a few days...), it would take her 5.5 years to eat them all. Not to mention the fact that they'd all be long stale, as chocolate will separate if it's left on the shelf. Plus, she wasn't (presumably) a recognizable celebrity. If she were buying it for, say, a contest prize, or a fundraiser, she would certainly have bought wholesale, as she would have wanted a certain number, not "all they have". It's just mysterious, and good old baffling mysteries don't come along much anymore ;)

paul

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Mr. Anderson said:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/05/05/london.chocolate.bars.reut/index.html

This one I just don't get ....

One, why did the Woolworth's have that many Mars bars on hand :confused:

And if you really wanted that many, why pay retail?

Bizarre...

D

Yesterday when I was walking in to Safeways, a gent walked out pushing a trolley that was filled to the brim and beyond with individual packets of Walkers crisps (potato chips) and nothing else. Quite bizarre.

But to tell you the truth, London is full of eccentrics. :p

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
The wealthy woman is said to have got her chauffeur to load 220 boxloads into a black stretch limo - and paid in new £50 notes. The shopper is believed to be Lebanese and the store manager thought she might be taking the mars bars abroad where they are difficult to get.

from the mad.co.uk site, I guess that goes someway to explaining it, but why not just drive to the wholesalers or contact Nestle??? :confused:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
iGAV said:
from the mad.co.uk site, I guess that goes someway to explaining it, but why not just drive to the wholesalers or contact Nestle??? :confused:

exactly - and its getting near to summer, especially down in the med....they better ship those things carefully, other wise its going to be a mess :D

D

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
I have been known to go at the 7-11 equivalent here (Couche tard) and bought ALL the beers they had of a certain brand (Unibroue). Of course it was for a party but still, it was funny to buy for over 300$ of beer, and even more fun to bring it all back to my place (thats about 150 bottles) since they all come in pack of 6. Does this make me a crazy person? No, just an alchoolic...

PS: after the party, we realize that we kinda exagerated our drinking power prediction by about 50 bottles which was basicaly due to idiots who brought their own bottles...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Mantat said:
(thats about 150 bottles) since they all come in pack of 6. Does this make me a crazy person?

if you had managed 1500 bottles, now that would have been impressive :D

Don't think I ever bought out a large quantity of anything ... but it would be great to do it someday....

D

whookam

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2004
London, UK
iGAV said:

Why would she contact Nestle if she wanted Mars Bars? :D

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
whookam said:
Why would she contact Nestle if she wanted Mars Bars? :D

for some reason Nestle just entered my head... heheh... I but I don't like chocolate so what do I know... :eek: :p :D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Mr. Anderson said:
if you had managed 1500 bottles, now that would have been impressive :D

Don't think I ever bought out a large quantity of anything ... but it would be great to do it someday....

D

I've never bought enough to empty a stores stock either. But did belong to a home delivery service that we would purchase meat and groceries to last for a year at a time.

She was very wise to pay in cash, no way to trace her. Maybe it was as an act of kindness or she is having a large party.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
wdlove said:
She was very wise to pay in cash, no way to trace her. Maybe it was as an act of kindness or she is having a large party.

read one of iGav's posts, it explains what it was all about.... :rolleyes:

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
we've had similar things at work,, on a much smaller scale...
Borders Cafe division discontinued this blackberry mountain coffee, and this guy drove from over an hour away to buy our whole stock (15 bags), and then asked for the numbers of other borders so he could stockpile it.
We also had someone stockpiling borders old mints...we had 50 of them, he bought all 50 (@1.99). Drove up from connecticut for it, too.
People will do strange things when they think they can never have their favorite food again.

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
Stupid question but... How much room would 10k mars bar would take? And it weight quite a bit (a bit less than a metric ton). So I am starting to wonder how real this story is... Seems like a publicity stunt as Koodauw said.

Colonel Panik

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2004
Dublin, Ireland
I don't think that this is right.

Firstly, she bought 10,656 mars bars, which were in 220 boxes. That makes 48.02272727272727 mars bars per packet. Of course, she might have bought the loose bars which were on the shelf too. But still, it doesn't work out. If there are 48 bars per box, this means 220 boxes contain 10,560 bars. So there were 94 bars on the shelf and scattered elsewhere around the store???

Secondly, she paid £2,131. This means that she bought each mars bar for 19.99812312312312 pence. This is very cheap for mars bars, no? Cue: Brit to chime in here.

Perhaps there was some promotion on, and she wanted to guarantee her spoiled little son/daughter would win. A bit like that rich father played by Roy Kinear in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory.

Okay. Now that I've said "Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory" I'm going to stop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.