Woman Charged with petty theft for stealing $2.87 in Coins from a fountain !!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by whoknows87, Oct 17, 2013.

1. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

Saw this on a few online news sites , and found it ridiculous , the woman was charged with petty theft because she took $2.87 in coins from the Logan Country courthouse fountain, she claims she collected the coins to buy food

Whatever the reason is, I find this ridiculous , pick on the little guys and let the Bankers and Wall Streets guys get away with murder and billions of taxpayer money, cause a financial meltdown and no one is punished........., lets not even address the fact that it will cost a pretty penny to prosecute/put up a case against this woman, and who is paying for that?

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Source? And did they say who the coins technically belong to?

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

4. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

It's Ohio, I wish I could say I was surprised. Even worse, it's Logan County, which is probably one of the poorest counties in Ohio. I can't believe that a woman is being charged for picking up less than $3 in loose change someone threw out.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I've witnessed multiple times police tell panhandlers they can't beg for change, and instead of being jerks about it and ticketing/arresting them(which they have every right to do), the police would try and help them out by offering to buy them a meal. I don't see why this heartless police officer didn't do the same.

Since there is no real ownership of the coins/money, I'm curious to see how this plays out.

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Back in the '90s, when I was working in one of the capital cities in Central Appalachia, I remember hearing tales (told by some of the lucid homeless persons who frequented the capitol grounds) about fellow paupers who'd been arrested and charged with petty theft for stealing a few coins from one of several fountains in the capitol complex. They claimed the authorities justified their action due to the fact that this money went into a "fountain fund" that was donated to a local charity, ergo, that person was literally "stealing" from the poor.

But for some reason, I never saw any of the well-dressed workers and tourists who'd sometimes "borrow" a few dimes out of the fountain (to make a phone calls from the nearby phone booths) being arrested.

It's odd. Most of the time, poor people are invisible, e.g., working folks rarely seem to be aware of those who approach and ask for a handout of money or food. It's only when the destitute do something wrong that anyone seems to feel the need to acknowledge their existence. Go figure...

7. pdjudd macrumors 601

While I won't specifically address this case specifically (since there isn't any details i haven't heard about this specifically), I would be willing to bet that the state treats the fountain and any of the monies in it as property of the state and as such, any removal of it would be seen as the same thing as stealing any form of government property. I am also willing to bet that the same applies for fountains located at private facilities. The money is not seen as "abandoned' but rather a fund.

I don't agree with her being arrested, but technically and legally the state may be in the right to prosecute.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

IMO, she can argue the opposite. People throw coins in fountains to make wishes, not to fund any gov or private company. Also, if it's a public place, that also helps the her defense. Would be no differ than picking up pennies from the ground, or cans from the trash.

9. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Slippery slope

I think it is a waste of tax payers dollars to arrest someone that isn't going to pay the fine anyways I still think it was the right thing to do.

A fountain isn't a banking institution for the poor/homeless. If you let one go wading for coins today you will have two doing it next week.

As I understand it the money in a fountain belongs to the owner of the property/building it sits on/in.

10. Happybunny macrumors 68000

On this side of the water, taking coins for certain fountains will get you into trouble.
    The Trevi Fountain in Rome is probably the most famous, since the films, 3 coins in a fountain and La Dolce Vita. It is illegal climb on the statues or to paddle or remove any items from the waters. There are regular police patrols and at least once a week someone is prosecuted under Rome's By Laws.

The reason for this is before these laws there were many hundreds of people mostly tourists regularly in the water at any one time. Fights even broke out as people would try to climb the statues, pick up the coins, or pose in the waters like Anita Ekberg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevi_Fountain

11. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

A cop hassled a starving woman over $3.

The point of the story isn't whether the cop had the legal grounds to do that, it's that he should've just let it go.

12. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Who said she was starving?

Remember free food and housing in jail.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Out of curiosity, what's your stance on the ACA?

14. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

What does my stance on the ACA have to do with this subject?

15. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Because generally people who say stuff like "free room and board in prison" when it comes to some poor woman getting arrested for taking 3 bucks in change out of a damn fountain are usually against anything to do with welfare.

The reason I ask is because you're not willing to part with any amount of money for universal healthcare because you don't want a single cent of your money to go to supporting the dead weights of society. Yet despite this stance, you're more than willing to spend considerably larger amounts of your hard earned dollars to let the state lock these people up for an indeterminate amount of time, slapping an ex-con label on them the moment they get out, which does nothing but make them permanent drains on the economy because they rarely ever manage to lift themselves up above the poverty line once they've been marked.

And for what? A smug sense of self satisfaction? Because you like knowing that someone got what they deserved?

Now I don't know if this is you specifically, but this is generally how these things go.

17. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I once threw a quarter in the fountain and wished that someone with a greater need for it than me would retrieve it. Looks like my wish came true.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Still relevant today ...

19. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

She did. The money was to buy food to feed herself.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

To be fair, she could have been lying about it and scrounging up her next fix.

But desperation is desperation.

And when you find yourself grabbing a couple of dollars in change from a fountain, that's a pretty good indicator of it.

21. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

That's true, it could've been for anything.

But she's also mentally challenged and her apartment, according to this article, is fairly empty and without "any real food" http://www.connecttohome.com/loganc...s-in-the-courthouse-fountain-one-womans-wish/

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

In the good old days, she'd have been transported to the Colonies.

Anyway, isn't it up to the fountain fairy to press charges?

23. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

A crimes a crime. If there is a law stating she cannot take from the fountain then even if it is 1 cent then she should be held accountable in the way that particular law states.

If we have a law we must enforce it. Our country has gotten to lackadaisical in enforcing the laws on the books.

My view is ...if we disagree with the law then we change it not ignore it. If someone feels this law is unjust then they should fight to have the law changed or removed. Until that time happens then we should follow the law.

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

If you ever go above the speed limit in your car I hope you immediately turn yourself over to the authorities.

25. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

We need common sense application of rules and laws, empathy is not a bad thing.