Woman faces life sentence over accident that killed 2 people due to ducks on the road

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by quagmire, Jun 25, 2014.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

At least the US isn't the only screwed up place in terms of justice, etc.

Maybe what she did was a bit reckless, but to get life? A bit much considering there was no intent. We also don't have all the facts considering why the people on the motorcycle couldn't stop in time, etc.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/06/22/newser-woman-who-stopped-for-ducks/11235367/

2. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

A bit wreck-less?

She basically killed two people.

Coming to a dead stop in the middle of a highway is the biggest bonehead move I could think of. Over a bunch of lousy ducks.

Wonder how that wife would feel? Considering her family is dead because of a stupid women and some ducks.

Also, I don't know if you ride motorcycles, many of them cannot stop very quickly at highway speeds, or the front tire loves to lock up and whip them over. And changing lanes could have been impossible due to other cars in the other lane, or where she parked her car.

EDIT: Its a Harley, yeah that thing is like a 1982 Ford LTD, it can't stop quickly.

I don't know if she needs life, but at least a decade.

3. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

The wife doesn't fault her.

All I meant by saying a bit reckless is that I don't think it should result in her getting a life sentence. A decade? Sure, but life?

4. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Life? No.

10-20 years? Yes.

I wonder if the wife really feels that way. If a member of my family was killed in a fashion like that.......my reaction might be different.

5. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

I would be devastated, but I probably wouldn't hate her for it either. Then again I have empathy towards animals and wouldn't just blindly run them over going, " They are just a bunch of damn ducks".

But like I said we don't know the full facts here. It doesn't sound like the motorcyclist was following her. It sounds like she was already stopped on the road and then they hit her Civic.

6. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I would personally. Stopping on a fast paced high way could have easily killed more than two people.

I do have empathy for animals and all that, but I would not cause a major accident.

Case in point, I hit a small deer the other week ( it happens a good bit in these parts ) in my F350, I was already going fast enough to where I knew I could t have stopped in time. So I just ran the thing over. The wife freaked out and said " oh my god! You shoulda went around it. " To which I said " so, you would rather me roll this thing and probably kill us? Over a deer? "

I respect animal life, but not as much as human life.

Yeah, I test drove a couple of those turd Harelys, assuming it had the ABS ( which in a bike more so stops the thing flipping over ), at 70mph, it takes a LONG time to stop one of those.

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

As a rider myself ........ if this was in day time with no fog and good visibility, then the rider is to blame also. You got to be on high alert and look at possible dangers ahead at all times.

The reason, as stupid as it is, shouldn't be the issue. What if her engine blew out or tire flat?

I don't know the road or details to really judge, but it just sounds like a freak accident.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

my sister stopped the car over a freaking possum :mad: we got lucky there was no one behind us.

9. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Pay attention to the road and watch out for what is happening in front of you.

And don't speed like the biker and his daughter were.

I've stopped for ducks. Hazards go on, and I wait till they pass, if you hit me in the ass you're an idiot that isn't paying attention to the road, and you're riding my tail way too close.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Same here.

Then it makes me wonder that these people, let alone the LEO, should have had the book thrown at them:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/trending/feed/video-cop-halts-traffic-duck-family

BL.

11. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Either we have not been told the full story or Canada has a very strange idea of justice.

What this woman did was very stupid, but was not criminal.

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

As a driver (or rider) your first responsibility is to not hit stuff. I could see an issue if she had not turned her flashers on, but for the vehicle operator, whatever is in front of you is your responsibility.

13. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Years ago, I was hit after I stopped in the left lane on a divided 4-lane highway. But then I had stopped because the power company had closed all four lanes using a flagman, while a crew moved a power line pole across the highway. The truck that hit me was probably going 60 MPH, and left no skid marks so I assume he didn't even brake. This happened on a straight stretch of highway, about a mile in length, so the driver had plenty of time to react and stop, yet he apparently didn't even slow down. There were 2 cars stopped in front of me and 3 beside me. The driver's first comment to me was "Well the car in front of me slowed down so I whipped into the left lane to pass him and there you were in my way. Why did you stop?"

14. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

She isn't necessarily going to get life. That's just the worst that could happen. She has not actually been sentenced yet.

15. NukeIT macrumors regular

Definitely not enough info to make a valid determination of what happened. However I am a firm believer you are always responsible for someone you rear end (unless the other vehicle is traveling in reverse).

You should always be aware of your surroundings and what is going on in front of you. Slowing if needed to figure it out.

And the argument that Harley's don't stop well doesn't hold much water. I have been riding for damn near 20 years now and most, if not all, production motorcycle will out brake a run of the mill automobile.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I'd say its very unlikely that she would get life, I think that's just the maximum for the crime she was charged with. No prior record so I am assuming she will get off pretty quick even if she is sentenced to a lengthier sentence, I don't think anyone actually serves what they are charged with up here as there is a mandatory release period iirc.

17. 0007776 Suspended

Considering those are the maximum sentences I doubt she will actually get life as the judge will probably recognize that that is a bit extreme. However, I would hope that she does get 10 years or so as she was clearly being irresponsible stopping in the left lane of a highway.

18. Andeavor macrumors 6502

I don't know what the law is in Canada, but in my neck of the woods we have to place a warning triangle approximately 150 to 300 meters ahead (depends on country and road type). This would let approaching drivers know to hit the brakes before crashing into a parked car on the lane. Not doing that makes you automatically liable to related car accidents.

Nobody can be this dense.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That's not true here in Ohio, and probably a lot of other states. If someone cuts right in front of you and then slows quickly or slams on the brakes, you are not considered responsible if you rear-end them. They are the ones who positioned themselves to be hit.

In any case, what this woman did was incredibly irresponsible. No article I've seen to date on this incident explains why she didn't pull over onto the berm.

I also don't have any sympathy for her trying to protect the ducks. I knew someone like this, who was so devoted to animals her common sense often went right out the window. I like animals too, but come on -- you don't endanger human lives for a bunch of ducks.

20. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

This woman's actions contributed to two deaths. Unfortunately, there are consequences for such actions. There are many other actions that she could have taken. Stopping in the middle of the traffic lane is never a good idea.

21. sim667 macrumors 65816

Well general logic would suggest that if you see something stationary and you can't stop before you hit it, then you're going to fast.

Its like driving into the back of a queue of stationary traffic and saying "Its not my fault, it shouldn't have been there" :rolleyes:

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

23. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Yeah, a decade will teach her not to do it again.

Whereas if she's just given a strict talking to she'll be a recidivist duck-stopper by the end of next week. I'm sure being the cause of two people's deaths won't be playing on her mind in the slightest.

24. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Seeing how this was an accident, even ten years sound too much for me. She was stupid, very stupid, but giving her ten years in jail will practically end her life.

You cannot let her walk without making some time, but I think 1 year might be enough to give a message and make sure she and other people think twice before stopping in the middle of a highway.

I've always thought that for less serious crimes (where I would put this case), jail should have the purpose of making the responsible person see their mistake and give him a second chance. One year in jail, IMO, is enough to stop a good/sane person from making further crimes.

25. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Lets say she is given a ten year sentence, how long will she actually do? Two people did die in this.