Woman huddles in rooftop hiding place as intruder looms

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jkcerda, Sep 26, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-woman-on-roof-with-intruder-20140925-htmlstory.html

[​IMG]

wow, must have been scary as hell, glad she was able to get her phone.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

How is this a topic?

What are we supposed to talk about here?

3. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

My guess, "If she had a gun, she could have stood her ground".

From my personal experience, a gun didn't make me suddenly safer.

4. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

If she'd had a handgun like Melinda Herman of Loganville, Georgia she wouldn't have had to hide on the roof, praying help arrived before it was too late.

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

possible mental illness, who follows a woman up to the roof?

----------

wrong guess, but nice try.

----------

she would have had immediate access to it, other wise a gun is completely worthless when you get caught off guard, not sure anyone really carries on themselves while at home.

6. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I think this is the part where someone points out how much better off they think she would have been if she were armed. Then someone else will disagree with that person and this will turn into a pages long gun debate once again.

EDIT: Looks like I'm 2 minutes late to the party, I swear this forum never disappoints.

7. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I challenge you to go 24 hours without mentioning Georgia...

GO!

8. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Did you read the article? She barely had time to grab a cell phone, how in the hell was she supposed to quickly grab a (hopefully properly locked up) gun if she's sitting in her house and some guy suddenly breaks down the door? Or should we all start carrying our guns in a holster on our belts while we're at home too?

----------

Hey, Georgia doesn't have much to be proud of. Don't take this away from him.

9. zin macrumors 6502

Fortunately it wasn't too late. The police saved her, the man is alive and now facing prison, and the woman is doing just fine, so there is no need to ramble on about hypothetical situations that did not occur to bring guns into this discussion.

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the woman is not fine, emotionally anyways. look at the pic above, not sure jail is where this man belongs, he might be mentally unstable. glad the police did not shoot him & managed to get him down unhurt.

11. zin macrumors 6502

The woman is alive. Of course she isn't fine emotionally. I don't think anybody would be emotionally sound.

I'm glad the police did not open fire, too. Bullets that miss don't simply disappear. They will arc and eventually return to the ground. The neighbourhood looks densely populated so I'm not sure opening fire would've been the best solution anyway.