Woman 'humiliated' by pharmacist over drugs to end pregnancy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chagla, Jun 26, 2018.

1. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44591528

where do you draw the line? why let personal beliefs get in the way of your job responsibilities? i hope she will pursue legal action against the pharmacist at Walgreens. He is in the wrong profession.

2. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Poor woman. I too hope she pursues this and help the pharmacist to choose a profession that suits his complete lack of compassion and professionalism.

3. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

People are certainly getting bolder in forcing their beliefs on others.

4. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

For some freedom is to freely practice & express your beliefs at any time, even at the expense of others.

Until it's done to them of course.

5. Videomanmac Suspended

Videomanmac

Look in the mirror, @AlliFlowers :rolleyes:. The left has for sure tried to force their beliefs on others by saying that anything that they don't agree with is racist, corrupt, a lie, and so on.

As for the topic at hand, I agree the pharmacist should be released from his position.

6. BoxerGT2.5, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Both right and left are getting out of hand with judging and having an opinion about other peoples lives and beliefs that they think they're entitled to club people with zero regard. We have people protesting and harassing people at dinner, etc. Remove yourself from the social media world which has clearly emboldening many and learn how to be a decent ****ing human being. When I was growing up one of the tenants we used to live by was "mind your own ****ing business!".

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Welcome to the ‘Land of the Free’!!.....

With a heavy hint of religious oppression thrown into the mix for good measure just in case you want to make your own choices lol.

8. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Seems it's all over. My wife and I have chosen not to have children. We're both happy with this decision and completely comfortable with it. I am continually surprised by the number of people that are offended to the point that they scream at us - "What's wrong with you?" and you wouldn't believe the response from religious people who outright tell us we're in sin.

The experience that brought me to this thread was... we were at a Doctor's office getting my wife's Depot Provera shot, we tried a doctor local to us instead of going to the family doctor 1.5 hours away... The nurse walks in with the shot and before administering it to my wife, she says that we needed to make room for God's will after asking us if we wanted kids, then proceeded to give the shot to my wife.

Needless to say, we never went back to that doctor. lol.

9. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

This issue seems to crop every couple years.

Technically speaking in Arizona pharmacists have the right to deny such medication... so other than changing the law I’m not sure how much recourse there is for this. I’m sure Arizona has plenty of other pharmacies more than willing to sell her PlanB.

As a PharmD myself, stuff like this always makes me cringe. I suppose if you own your own pharmacy and don’t want to sell certain drugs, that’s up to you... but that’s not the case. I’m not a big fan of abortion personally, but I don’t judge other people. I see nothing wrong with PlanB or birth control morally. Would this pharmacist rather take the risk of this woman becoming pregnant and then having an abortion (seems like a far worse proposition)?

If this pharmacist is so opposed to contraception, then he should pick a different job.

10. widgeteer Suspended

Thank god we're fighting against sharia law. I'd hate to see what our country would look like if one specific group tried to force others to subscribe to their own religious beliefs.

11. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

The BBC article cited by the OP was less than informative. The woman's prescription was for a home abortion drug to induce a miscarriage, not a birth control drug, ( not that that should have made a difference). If it was the owners policy to deny access to certain drugs, that's fine, but it is not Walgreen's policy. It was the pharmacists personal philosophy to deny service (and Walgreen's corporate has backed him up).

12. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Dare I ask what country you’re from? I was assuming Turkey but then thought it can’t be that.

13. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

He was to supposed to get a replacement pharmacist. I wouldn't patronize Walgreen's after this. That's a ****** way to treat customers/patients.

14. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Ahh mistoprostal. More often than not they do this under medical supervision so I just assumed PlanB.

15. CPTmom2wp macrumors 6502

CPTmom2wp

I agree. We should just serve dinner to people regardless of their political beliefs or profession and I think we should dispense pharmaceuticals to people without judging them for the medication. I was raised that embarrassing others or judging their behavior is bad manners. Having opinions is terrific, but expecting/ harassing
    others to share them is not.

There have been several times over the years where a client of mine was embarrassed in front of a line of people at a pharmacy for mistakenly coming in a day or two early for pain medication. They felt that they were treated "like drug addicts". I think we need to go back to the "golden rule" and treat others like we want to be treated.

16. Mousse macrumors 68010

Mousse

Snake.:D

17. Stella, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018

Stella macrumors G3

Stella

The fetus was dead at this point - the woman miscarried. The pharmacist was even told of this. The purpose was to get the dead fetus out of the woman's body.

Not quite sure how this offended the pharmacist's beliefs.

EDIT:

I would go as far as: people who can't respond to customer's needs due to offended beliefs, such as this, should not be in the job.

18. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Here’s the other thing too. This pharmacist was just asking for trouble by explicitly telling the patient he morally objected to the medication.

The smarter thing to do for him if he has such strong beliefs would have been to say they didn’t have the medication in stock, which probably would have forced the patient to go to another pharmacy.

Sometimes when people bring in fake scripts, rather than telling them their prescription is bogus and potentially having to argue with them or worse, it’s just easier to say “we don’t have this in stock”. (Technically you’re supposed to call the police, but that rarely happens out of fear of retribution. I once worked with a pharmacist who called the police over a fake script, the guy was arrested, met bail, and then basically starting stalking her in a threatening manner, leading to a secondary arrest and court case.)

I’m happy I don’t work in retail pharmacy, but I have some experience doing so from my college/internship days. There’s plenty of situations in retail pharmacy where I might object to a drug being prescribed even though technically it meets the criteria to be safely and legally dispensed- not ever morally so to speak I can think of, but usually more in the sense of it being a poor or inappropriate choice for the given ailment, poor drug in general, or maybe the patient is prescribed a controlled substance that they’re clearly abusing. A quality pharmacist (in fact it is one of the responsibilities of a pharmacist that has been lost with the chain-takeover of the industry) would take the time to discuss such things with the prescriber. However chain pharmacies like Walgreens aren’t really concerned with optimizing care as much as they are filling as many scripts as possible. They basically have an incentive to have treatment failures so more drugs can be prescribed. 95% pharmacists these days don’t refuse to fill scripts for reasons like the afformentioned.

19. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Don’t forget to add a big scoop of nationalism. It just ain’t the same if it doesn’t have that star spangled spice.

Wow even if she “meant well” that’s one of the worst things to say at the worst possible time. Sorry you had to go through that crap.

If he truly morally objected to the medication he shouldn’t have had it in stock! (Or are certain medications ...mandatory?)
    At any rate he should have kept his beliefs to himself especially when actually filling the script!

20. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Refused? I assume corporate will have something to say about this, especially when the lawsuit arrives at their door.

21. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

22. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

23. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

But the important part of the policy is this:

At the same time, they are also required to refer the prescription to another pharmacist or manager on duty to meet the patient's needs in a timely manner.

I don't like the policy at all and will never use Walgreen's or any retailer that allows discrimination/sharia law.

24. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Just wanted to highlight this little bit from the OP article:
    So without a clause requiring the objecting professional to provide the customer with a referral elsewhere... is this not a situation where the service provider's morals or religion supersedes that of the customer?

25. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

Walgreen’s policy was violated, thus failing customer needs. If I remember correctly, a colleague was available to fill the prescription, yet wasn’t informed; and he went out of his way to embarrass her (hoping I’m not conflating this case with another - replying on phone and may check when I’m home)