Woman rapes man and accuses him of assault 2 years later.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by cfedu, Jun 14, 2015.

1. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Stupidity, Idiotic, Moronic, ...... I'm trying to find the right word to describe this 100% complete BS.

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

Two possible solutions:
    • Mandatory coitus contracts
    • gender-segregated schools
    I don't think contracts are realistic, but segregated schools used to be the norm.

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I used to work on a crisis hotline, which included helping victims of sexual assault. The newsstory cited by the OP is BS, both in terms of the logic of the argument and in terms of interpreting the woman accuser's behaviour. The first plank of the argument is to pose the question of how a person can tell if somebody is in a blackout state. Well, duh. Slurred speech, lack of coordination, and passing out are clues. Never mind, though, because the relevance of this plank was never explained. The second plank of the argument is that the university tribunal is not a criminal court. Again, well, duh. Courts determine the sentencing of people to jail and fines, so the burden of proof must be very high. A university tribunal is about a person's suitability to be in an academic community, so the burden if proof can be lower. The accused student did have an opportunity to have his say and he was not believed apparently, and Amherst has every right to expel a student it feels is a threat to other students. In any case, this argument amounts to saying the University followed the policy that the accused student agreed to by virtue of attending the University. Now the accused is in the unique position of not liking the outcome... The final and third plank of the argument is the most egregious and outrageous one. The accuser apparently sent a text stating that she was not an 'innocent bystander'. Anybody who has talked to people who have survived a sexual assault will tell you that often the victims question themselves. The accuser's texts might simply reflect her regret about drinking to the point of incapacitation, or perhaps flirting (which is not tantamount to consent for sex). Overall, this is a hatchet job by a accused's lawyer on the accuser, and the reporter who swallowed this nonsense hook, line and sinker bears the responsibility for the impact it will have. The ink stains the printer's hands.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

I find your block of text confused. According to the story, she performed the sex act on him, while he was passed out. Are you arguing in her or his defense? :confused:

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Where in the story is there any evidence whatsoever that the women initiated the sexual contact? The answer is there isn't.

7. Meister, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015

Meister Suspended

Meister

According to the story she performed sex acts on him, while he was passed out, hence she raped him.

Where in the story is there any evidence whatsoever that the men initiated the sexual contact? The answer is there isn't.

http://reason.com/blog/2015/06/11/amherst-student-was-expelled-for-rape-bu

Please elaborate further ....

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

OK let us review: The quote you cite is from the reporter/writer of the news story, who is mindlessly reiterating the BS argument from the accused's lawyer. The argument from the lawyer is 'her [the accuser's] words, showed — if anything — that she initiated sexual contact'. The words he is referring to are the accuser's text messages, which stated she was not an innocent bystander and she felt she might have done something wrong. Therein lies the crux of the distortion by the accused's lawyer. The accuser might have simply been blaming herself for the assault, as women often do. The woman's texts do not provide any evidence that she initiated sexual contact.

9. Meister Suspended

Meister

What a obtuse attempt to evade the essential question:
    Where is the evidence that the accused initiated sexual contact?
    And even if he did, which is probably impossible to prove, how does that prove, or even indicate, rape?

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I presume that Amherst felt there was enough evidence to reach that conclusion. After all, they heard the story from the accuser and the accused directly. We haven't, nor has the reporter who was parroting the arguments of the accused's lawyer. Ask yourself this: why hasn't the reporter asked the accuser for her side of the story?

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

So, you do not have any source that would give any information whatsoever on why he would've been found guilty of rape?

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Take it from a guy whose had more than his share of problems with booze these do not necessarily indicate nor are they a good measure of a blackout state.

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

The accusation itself is the accuser's side of the story. Pretty sure she didn't just say "I was sexually assaulted" and left it at that.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So without any evidence, it's automatically the guy's fault?

15. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

that would be complicated nowadays... genetic gender? perceived gender? self-declared gender? :)

16. sim667 macrumors 65816

Why are colleges making judgements and decisions about these cases? As part of their duty of care to both students surely the logical thing to do would to let it be dealt with due legal diligence in a court?

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

regret about what they did might make them make up claims of rape.

18. unlinked macrumors 6502a

It is happening because the Justice department reinterpreted the law and instructed universities to do this or risk losing federal funding.

19. sim667 macrumors 65816

So the justice department is basically shirking its responsibilities.

20. cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

You sound like a rape apologist and victim blamer!!

21. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Double standards, bro. We have a most of them in our favor, but this one and divorces favors the women.

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

It's like the "Girls Gone Wild" videos. Those females of age, consented in writing and verbally on tape, but they tried to sue anyway cause it made them look bad.

As I remember(could be wrong), there was only one legit suit because the girl lied about her age and had a fake ID.

23. cfedu, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015

cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

I think I understand this case now. This was called rape because one of the new feminist definitions of rap is that denying sex to a woman is rape. When he was blacked out, she gave John Doe a BJ in the hopes he would wake up and penetrate her. Since that did not happen she left ands got another man to finish the job that John Doe could not finish.

http://thoughtcatalog.com/anne-gus/2014/06/when-he-says-no-denying-a-woman-sex-is-rape/

24. cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

25. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I noticed you changed your tactic of accusing the woman of rape. I also note that nobody here has explained why the journalist did not try to contact the woman for her side of the story. In any case, my point is that the journalist who authored this story is making unsupported claims based on their interpretations of the woman's text messages. My claim is that the woman's behaviour is not inconsistent with suffering a sexual assault, nothing more.

The symptoms are usually more noticeable in binge drinkers. Besides, how do you what you were acting like when you blacked out? :p

Saying that the woman's behaviour is compatible with suffering sexual assault is not the same thing as saying the guy is guilty. We do not know the facts in the case, but the reporting of it is naive at best and biased at worst.

No, I sound like somebody who evaluates evidence. You should try it sometime.

You lost me when citing Faux News. Their reporting was even more flawed than the original post, and of course they blame Obama....