Woman Says Church Threatening To Make Sins Public

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Stella, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I really wish churches/religion were abolished, it would solve so many problems.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

4. Stella thread starter macrumors 604

Stella

Yep... definitely.

Organized Religion has been and still is the largest problem on this planet.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'd be on the phone to my lawyer for sure.

6. remmy macrumors 6502a

Isn't this completely against the fact that of confidentiality between a church member and the church.

That is just blackmail can the police get involved?

7. toontra macrumors 6502

Quite so. Bush and Blair praying together before deciding to invade Iraq just about sums it up for me. Friggin' nutters.

8. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

or maybe just the nutjobs. Then again, who would give the comedy tv hosts something to talk about *palin family cough*

9. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

I just saw this very appropriate quote on my iGoogle homepage:

10. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

To the Nay sayers here, a single post on this subject.

New Testament, not the old this time, IS the source for this thing to be done.

Matthew 18:15-18 (King James Version)

15Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.

16But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

17And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

18Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

These people are living the Bible. There is honor there, but the 2 people involved, won't hear of it.

Oh, and in the article, it should be noted -
    My 2 cents worth

11. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

+1

From what I see, it seems that religion only causes more problems than it actually "solves". Religion is bad.

12. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

How is it honorable to blindly follow a book, use it to fulfill an unhealthy desire to feel morally superior (without actually going to the trouble of being good, but rather, telling other people how they are bad), and to do so without even taking the responsibility to verify the authenticity of said book's preposterous claims?

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Religion itself may be bad, but being spiritual can be a good thing. Imagine this world if nobody had hope.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well then its a good thing then that the two don't really on each other to exist.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think they intertwine.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

They CAN, but do not have to at all.

17. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

That would involve interfering with other people's rights, and it would not be that different to what the Grace Community Church is doing.

I think that a slow and peaceful "erosion" of religion through separation of church and state and proper education is a more viable alternative. I think that as long as religion is not given power over the lives of others (especially people who do not belong to their congregation), then it is quite possible that religion will fall by it's own weight as our knowledge of the universe increases in such a way that a faith-based position is no longer tenable. It wont happen in our lifetime though :(.

Then people would take a much more realistic approach to life. They would cherish even the smallest of things, knowing that at any moment life could take a turn for the worse. I don't think that there's anything wrong with spirituality per se, but I also don't think it's fair to assume that a non-spiritual person is somehow at the mercy of despair and agony. Life becomes more precious once you realize how fragile it is.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I am Catholic, I have faith but I don't take everything the church tells me literally. Some of the things in the Bible is a little far fetched. But a lot of it is telling how to help your neighbor and be kind to people. That is what I think religion is truly about. It is not spreading your beliefs on others that don't want to believe. But it is about being a good person and helping out others. That is the main thing I take out of it. How to be a better person.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Of course it should also be pointed out that many pre-Christian philosophies taught how to be a good person without the arrogance of claiming a monopoly on goodness.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That's only worth 1 cent at the most. Matthew is not Jesus, and the passage is about "thy brother" doing you wrong, not having it off with a third party, so it's completely irrelevant.

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I disagree with that. You take away the churches and religious it would do more harm than good. Most homeless shelters, most shelters and so on are run by a church or where founded by a church. You could kiss those good by. A lot of the fund raising and aid is run by the church.

Most people feel safe at a church (key word is MOST)

This church makes all of them look bad. I just read through that part of the bible and I do not see where they are getting that grounds from since you need to read the passages before it. It states Sin against your brother. what that that woman is doing while sin is not against any other person in that church so the passage has no barring. I take this as the church is sinning because this is nothing more than gossip and I believe there is a passage about not taking part in gossip.

22. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

The problem with that is, there's enough extra stuff in The Bible to justify almost anything (be it good or bad), and I do mean almost literally anything.

The fact that you use The Bible to guide you in how to be a better person speaks highly of you, not of the book itself.

The fact that you can tell that some things in The Bible are far fetched and others help you become a better person, speaks about your innate ability to discern right from wrong. I'm not sure I presented this clearly enough, but what I'm trying to say is that you're obviously capable of choosing the way to become a better person by yourself, without using the book at all.

So the problem remains, since there's all that nasty extra stuff lying around in The Bible, we can only hope that all people will interpret it in the way that you have. Or we can show people that the Bible is man made, and that our morals are derived from empathy, and spare us all a lot of trouble.

23. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

If the Church wants to talk about ppls sins in public, lets start talking about all the little boys the damn catholic priests molest every year!:mad:
    I meant Religion as an institution. My bad for not being more clear.:eek:

24. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I don't understand what legal ground she would have. I doesn't seem like the church is doing anything illegal.

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

slander?