Woman says Roy Moore initiated sexual encounter when she was 14, he was 32

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Nov 9, 2017.

1. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Do we know what the 14 year old girl was wearing?

I've seen that on Twitter four times now.

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

As I mentioned earlier, some of us have become politically tribal, which means they have dissolved their moral standards in preference for narrowly defined parameters to support a perceived member of the tribe, which brings up troubling questions about how is tribe defined? And are moral standards so easily flushed? Is there such a thing as real morals with these people or is it morals of convienence?

I believe that people have a perception that observes and judges a sprectrum of behaviors, but they also view their party and it’s candidates as standing for a set of values and goals, those goals are so important that, they don’t want to throw the baby out with the bathwater, so they are likely to forgive personal moral failings to keep the agenda alive. But this is a clear split from the past when sexual misconduct or reputable accusations would finish off any political figure, at least that is my impression.

3. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

You make good points. I feel we have reached a point in politics where politicians feel comfortable enough to say some very shocking things without fear of backlash or repercussions. To support and pledge to vote for someone accused of a crime is shocking. To say so publicly knowing there are others who feel the same way and will support your decision is even more unbelievable.

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

My guess: H Y P E R P A R T I S A N S H I *
    I'd say there's a belief out and about in some circles that if God will cause voters to cause Presidents to cause the Congress to permit the Supreme Court to acquire enough of the right kind of justices to establish an essentially fundamentalist Christian interpretation of law for the next forty years, He will forgive whatever low means by which the leaders of certain evangelical sects may have helped make that all come to pass.

Some of those guys might think to sell their mother if the buyer promised to donate half the dough to the RNC. We ain't seen nothin' yet. This administration essentially puts the Johnson amendment on ice so we'll have preachers making campaign-ready ad videos directly from the pulpit

On the other hand, there could be some backlash growing now inside the evangelical demographic (which is more varied than one may get the impression from mainstream accounts), in the same way there's backlash turning up now on Trump's policies among more secular GOP-inclined voters.

5. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

When the Right under Donald Trump becomes all about making Liberal heads explode:
    Oh and Roy Moore’s brother was on CNN saying he’s being persecuted like Jesus was. Sad thing is Trump’s kool-aid drinking sycophants probably agree with him.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    [​IMG]

6. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Molesting
    Adolescent
    Girls
    Allowed

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Roy Moore is a toxic plague on this Earth.

If he believes this is defamation, all he has to do is sure the paper....and go for disclosure. He won't.

I am angry at the voters of this state for nominating a man who has twice lost his job because he does not respect the Constitution. I am angry at Moore for trying to stand on the shoulders of Christianity.

I am ashamed of friends and neighbors who vote for him over and over.

I am ashamed and angry that the Republican party still stands behind him. I am appalled that people will vote for him solely because he is not a Democrat.

I am tired of party over state/country.

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

regarding this bit

“There’s nothing wrong with a 30-year-old single male asking a 16-year-old on a date.” Those were the exact words spoken to reporter Daniel Dale by Alabama Marion County GOP chair David Hall in the wake of the scandal. Hall also told Dale that we should overlook the allegations against Moore because they occurred decades ago.

— Daniel Dale (@ddale8) November 9, 2017
    That is not exactly what one of my bros had to say when he witnessed some 26-yo guy trying to pick up a friend's then 16-yo daughter. He went to the guy's house and said if I see you near my friend's daughter again it will be the last time anyone sees you on this planet. imo that's the more typical American reaction to someone over 20 trying to get over with an underage woman. i think my bro did what he did because he realized if his friend ever got wind of what that guy was trying to do, the pickup artist really would have been in mortal danger.

Around here the politics are majority conservative and Republican, but I can't see local voters defending a pol trying to dodge underage abuse allegations, even old ones. This district went blue one time behind the Republican having faced domestic abuse charges regarding treatment of his (adult) wife. I'm having a hard time trying to understanding how any Alabama voters can say they'd defend Moore "even if" the allegations are true. That's past hyperpartisanship into real chip on shoulder territory.

Sometimes one could wonder if the ramped-up hatred of mainstream media has caused people to just depart from reality altogether when they read something they wish hadn't hit print. I mean if this news hadn't made the national media outlets but it was running around the grapevine in Alabama, would so many Alabama officials and voters still be saying their man is Roy Moore?

I think maybe not. Some of it's down to Alabamians saying to the country in general, "up yours, this is none of your biz".

Well they're wrong on that score if that's part of it. This guy is on the verge of being one of just one hundred US Senators, each of whom has the power to help or hurt this country by how he uses Senate rules to manipulate the flow and content of federal legislation. So it's everybody's business.

9. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

If you were to take the politics out of this story, and Roy Moore was just an average Joe. Most Alabamans would be looking for the highest tree to hang him.

10. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

An interesting point made by on the news this morning...

The right has been very critical of Hollywood over the years, yet Hollywood is dumping stars accused of similar things overboard left and right now, while the right in Alabama clings to their guy. How many of these Moore supporters condemned Weinstein and all the others accused in Hollywood? Quite a lot I bet. Yet they give a pass to their own guy. Such hypocrites.

And that person that said they would vote for a child molester over a Democrat is sick in the head. Child molesting is a crime. I wonder if they would even sacrafice their own child to a molester if they thought it would score political points? Disgusting deplorables.
    An "R" in front of someone's name should not be some sort of shield. They should still be treated the same as an average joe.

11. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Hard to believe someone who was removed from his job twice for acting like he was above the law would have acted like he was above the law.

12. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

With all the accusations out there makes you wonder if anyone had consensual sex lately.....

13. jerwin macrumors 65816

14. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

As if the idea that more than 5 to 10 powerful men have illegally harassed women is hard to believe? o_O:rolleyes::eek:

15. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

And now an Alabama GOP rep wants to go after the victims and prosecute them, instead of Moore. This just keeps getting worse.

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...-rep-roy-moores-accusers-should-be-prosecuted

On the good news side, though the Senate fundraising committee is withdrawing all support for him.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/359814-nrsc-will-no-longer-fundraise-for-roy-moore

16. Zenithal Suspended

He may win. But the Senate can vote to remove him, and probably would.

17. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Does that trigger (another) special election in Alabama?

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yep.

LOL, yep.

2018 was looking good for the Senate, too. Their best chance in a long time to really cement a majority. This is not helpful to their prospects. It's amazing the state GOP in Alabama cannot see that. Not surprising Moore couldn't care less about the party's prospects though.
    So the five bucks I sent the DNC for Jones just got more important? Usually I stay out of other states' Senatorial races, figuring let them pick whom they want. I was making an exception in this case. Now I'm doubled down by Moore's own party, wow!

19. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Hows about "unhealthy family activities". Things that are known to break down family lives.

BTW, when you meant Healthy Family Values, where you taking about healthy eating? ;)

20. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

22. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Alabama is hopeless. We should be resettling Puerto Rican refugees there and registering them to vote.

23. MachCrit macrumors regular

MachCrit

Are you sure? Can't you date your cousin down there? Just sayin' :)

Only bright side is maybe, just maybe, some otherwise aloof people might realize that morality matters.

24. Rogifan, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Roy Moore being interviewed by Sean Hannity on his radio show. Still denying allegations, but he admits he knew two of the women in the WP story but not the one who was 14 at the time. Says it’s politically motivated and the forces of evil are out to get him. When Hannity asked if it would be unusual for him at age 32 to be dating teenagers he says “not generally, no”. He’s denying but not denying. Using as a defense theta 2 or the women’s mothers encouraged them to go out with him.

EDIT: Moore didn’t dispute that he may have dated 16 year olds when he was in his 30s. I guess since that’s the age of consent in Alabama all the good evangelicals out there will defend it.

25. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Is it? No, but when they come out in droves and many of them start in about what happened in 1979, 1985, 1992 it makes you stop and take pause.