Woman says Roy Moore initiated sexual encounter when she was 14, he was 32

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Rogifan, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

It’s obvious that Moore was coached for this interview. He’s effectively admitting the things that weren’t illegal (using I don’t remember defense) but not the one that was. Which is exactly the line his supporters drew yesterday. He probably did enough to eek out a win in the end. But it’s still creepy as hell. Especially when he kept saying he wouldn’t date without asking the mothers permission. Which obviously means he was dating girls young enough to still require their parents permission. Gross.

Now Moore says these allegations came out because of his stance on transgenders and gays in the military. Also says he has evidence of collusion but isn’t ready to release it yet.

2. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

So he admits he did it. Why is it so hard to say, "I'm sorry." His excuses are just making it worse.

3. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Go watch Spotlight. Then come back here.

4. Zenithal macrumors 68040

The lines between Sharia law and this flavor of "Christianity" are blurred.

5. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

First, I am ok with the presumption of innocence.

What’s not ok, is saying “Well, if he did I’m ok because he’s not a lib”. They aren’t saying “I don’t believe it, he’s a good person and I’m voting for him unless there’s proof”. They’re saying even if he’s guilty, well, hey... he’s a conservative.

This is bizarre. The evangelical right is nosediving into the abyss.

6. bopajuice, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

Let’s say for a minute non of the accusations are true. The disturbing thing for me is people trying to rationalize advances towards underage woman as no big deal and acceptable behavior. Or worse choose to ignore or acknowledge this sort of behavior at all.

7. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

No surprise Sean Hannity is treating this bigot redneck like Christ. He also did the same for Cliven Mr. “I wonder if the blacks would have been better off picking cotton” Bundy.

8. Rogifan, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

And Fox is already discrediting one of the women because she worked for Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign which I guess they’re implying means she had to have made this up for political reasons. Which is funny because I swear I read yesterday when Moore was in his 30s he was a Democrat.

9. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Of course not, because he knows that the lawsuit would drag out the story, and that between discovery and testimony, he'd probably find himself in trouble.

Good to see that the Alabama GOP will go full-nelson on logic and put the law in a hammer-throw. The question to ask these guys is under what legal statue would they charge these women?

Accusations should aways give us pause, but consider:

1. The Washington Post story is screwed tight, and the women went on the record. (To dismiss this story, you have to completely dismiss the Washington Post's reporting and credibility.)
    2. There's no advantage for the women to speak about this.
    3. Moore's responses to the accusations are suspect.

If the right-wing media actually cared about reporting, they'd be gunning for leads on this story. But, instead they'll sit back and hope that Moore hasn't left a trail of bodies. And, Hannity can keep cheerleading for the GOP.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If Roy gets elected to congress can we order Trump to build that wall around Alabama.

12. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

The GOP response to this is unsettling. This is Trump’s America. I wish we could go back to being insulted about teleprompters and mom jeans.

13. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

14. SusanK macrumors 68000

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

30 year old dating a 16 year old is creepy, but lawful. We are talking about sexual assault here though, not creepy dating habits. Technically he could have dated a 14 year old as long as they didn't engage in sexual activities and not broken any laws. People are conflating way too many things here. The key issue is whether he sexually assaulted a 14 year old. If he dated a 16, 17, 18 year old that's not unlawful and shouldn't be considered.

16. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Make America Great Again. Rotary phones, confederate admiration, and underage sexual assault.

17. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Was Monica Lewinsky giving Bill Clinton a blow job in the Oval Office unlawful?

18. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I don't care if you're a Republican or a Democrat, having sex and marrying children is not right.

I don't care what the bible says.

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Wow.... Well, yep, someone working off Mercer money is probably running oppo on every single Dem incumbent US Senator even as this thread grows. Why?, because as soon as Moore is sworn in, the Senate is going to try to remove him and the GOP will like it to be majority Dems that swing the vote to an assured hammer. But... Bannon and friends will like to make that as messy as possible, just to throw sand in the eyes of the GOP establishment.

Sometimes your enemy is your best friend, McConnell must be thinking. I wonder if he's kicking RNC money to the Democrat Doug Jones lol.

Failing such possible developments, the GOP could just take Moore aside now and say look you're done in the Senate before you get there, okay, so give the party a break and go work in a think tank that celebrates the intersection of church and state, here are three phone numbers and a good reference from your state Party chair, we're going to plug your good friend and down home Alabama public servant Joe X into your slot if you win the count on December 12, so thanks for understanding and have a great life, Roy, please close the door as you leave our offices.

But no. The GOP circular firing squad must have its day. Poor Alabama: every deity must have its fallen angel and it's easier when one volunteers. As if Alabama didn't have enough problems already. They need a Senator who actually looks out for the state's interests. Moore is not that guy, and never was going to be that guy.

Why was Moore ever their chosen candidate anyway? He had to step down from two previous offices already for God's sake. Alabama seems a down and out state bent on kickng itself to the curb with this guy.

Microcosm of the GOP core Trump electorate from coast to coast: I'm doing this because I'm really angry at the federal government. [sets fire to own house to prove it]

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It's extremely poor judgement, just because it's normal in Alabama doesn't mean it's normal in civilized places.

21. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Yes, he was a liberal.

22. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

What is the meaning of this question?

23. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

It means why are are conservatives ok with possible sexual assault, but not a consensual affair?

To be fair, libs weren't happy with Clinton. They liked the economy, jobs, pay, etc., but they thought he was dirt. That's how Hillary (who I'm sure is behind this Moore scandal.. damn that crooked Hillary) came to power. She handled it well. The repubs focused more on the affair than the perjury. Because they are holy. A middle-aged man propositioning a teen? Legal in the boonies. A grown man having a consensual affair? Christ will reign on you with his vengeance like no other!

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

(Shudder) That alone should give anyone pause. So the norm was for him to be dating teens while in his 30‘s. Beyond creepy.

He has a history of backing the wrong horse. You would think he would be embarrassed by now.