Woman says Roy Moore initiated sexual encounter when she was 14, he was 32

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Goodness. That makes me want to scream. I was once considered conservative but if this type of thing is the norm, count me out.

Like on The Lion King:

"If this is where the monarchy is headed
    Count me out
    Out of service, out of Africa I wouldn't hang about
    This child is getting wildly out of wing"

Except out of the USA, not Africa.

2. SusanK macrumors 68000

Put Trump inside that wall. He can share his feelings for his daughter-wife with like minded supporters.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No, but there were other sexual assault allegations against him prior to that encounter that would be.

4. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

Was she under 18?

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No plausible ones to my knowledge. And none have even come out recently.

6. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

It’s a question for those who seem to be OK with what Moore did so long a it wasn’t illegal.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 11, 2017 ---
    So let’s elect Roy Moore because Liberals excused away Clinton’s failings? We wouldn’t be in this predicament had the voters of Alabama went with Strange. He’s a perfectly reliable Republican vote in the Senate. Moore won’t be. He’ll be another McCain or Paul.

7. Zenithal Suspended

First of all, Republican or Democrat, you need a rational and educated constituency. As much as both sides love to harp on each other, we also do a fair amount of harping within our parties. I'm no exception to this rule. I point out stupid, conservative or liberal.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Not illegal, perhaps, not. But, it should have been.

But, extremely unethical?

Grotesquely abusive of his power and position?

At the time, he was an officer of the court, the child's mother was attending a custody hearing and he attempted to assault the youngster having offered to "keep an eye on her" while her mother was occupied elsewhere.

What a complete creep, unfit to hold office, any office, anywhere.

9. Zombie Acorn, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

That's because they already came out decades ago when it was okay to character assassinate someone who was sexually assaulted. Ask Hillary, she helped.

Maybe you missed the presidential debates where women who he abused were still engaged in trying to tell the public the abuse they endured.
    Who said anything about electing Moore? If he sexually assaulted anyone he should go to jail instead of Congress.

10. Zenithal Suspended

11. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

That’s not what supporters in Alabama (and elsewhere) are saying. That’s why they’re now trying to dig up dirt on these women.
    Attorney for Gloria Deason released this statement:

[​IMG]

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

That's not the 14 year old. A few years before this event 18 year olds shipped off to Vietnam, if a 18 year old adult wants to date a 30 year old that's her business. You guys are focusing on the wrong case. Ray Moore dating a consenting adult is totally irrelevant.

13. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Hmm...Senator Mike Lee unendorsed Moore shortly after the Hannity interview.

[​IMG]

14. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Moore gave a speech this morning and praise Jesus, his memory seems to have dramatically improved since his Hannity appearance.

15. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I have a friend who got a R ballot in the general election so that he could vote in the runoff and vote for Moore. His logic was that it would be easier to defeat Moore than Strange.

16. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It may have been legal, but still is creepy and not the behavior we expect of someone in public office.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Not disagreeing but it wouldn't be something that should prevent him from taking office decades later. Sexually assaulting a 14 year old is a different level.

19. Scepticalscribe, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I beg to differ.

He was a district attorney and he abused the trust and responsibilities of his position at least twice; firstly, when, as an officer of the court, he offered "to keep an eye on" the 14 year old, while her mother attended a custody hearing and proceeded to sexually assault her.

The second re the 18 year old; as a lawyer, the man was an officer of the court - and he deliberately plied an 18 year old with alcohol - an age at which it is illegal to purchase or consume alcohol in order to be able to sexually assault her.

These are not just grotesque abuses of power - the man was in his thirties, his victims were teenagers - but they are the actions of a sleazy individual, a pure creep, who is unfit to hold any office because he does not respect the responsibilities of such an office.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Allegations haven't been confirmed yet so you are bringing out the executioner a bit early on the 14 year old case.

For the 18 year old case, she was an adult and unless there was a conflict in a case he handled I don't think it should prevent him from running for office 30-40 years later. There was also no allegation of sexual activities in the 18 year olds case to my knowledge.

We also must consider that in the 70s the drinking age was lower, 18 or 19 in Alabama. It wasn't until 86 that the drinking age was 21

21. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

He was unfit for the office before we learned of any of this. The man is an unhinged theocrat on par with mullahs in the ME. He was removed from the Alabama Supreme Court. TWICE. He's refusing to debate his opponent because of his opponent's views on transgenders. At least that's the lame excuse he pushes on the rubes.

He is wildly anti-gay and anti-Muslim. He has past ties to Confederate groups and white nationalists groups. He continually said Obama was a secret Muslim born in Kenya. He believes that Christianity should supersede the law. This is how low the Republican Party has sunk.

22. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Remember when trans women couldn’t be allowed in bathrooms because it would be dangerous for the children?

23. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

They hold about as much weight as the women who claim Trump of assault. So I’m totally sure you hold Trump to those standards, right? You are totally not going to defend Trump and hammer Clinton? Because you care about facts and not partisanship.

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yes. Now trans women are winning elections against people that author bathroom bills. What a difference a year makes. Thanks Trump. :D

25. curmudgeonette macrumors 6502

In a snippet of the interview included in a different broadcast, Moore says something like:

"all the o...(ah), ... the other two girls"

Sounded like he was about to say "all the other [many] girls," caught himself, and limited his statement to the current accusations.

Someone wrote that when he started to date his wife, he was 36 and she was 22? Hmmm, 36 and 22. 32 and 18. That's a pattern.

Media is reporting it was 19 at the time. So... an 18 year old was underage.