Woman Sues Parents for Putting Childhood Pictures on Facebook

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Interesting article. Do you believe that parents should need permission from an adult child to put childhood pictures up on Facebook ?

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Key line from the article ...
    If they refused to take down the photos, then there is some weird dynamic at work in that relationship.

Somebody is power-trippin'.

3. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

While I don't agree that parents should be posting pictures of "nappy" changes, or potty training, I do enjoy posting pictures of my Kids, when they where young, on Facebook and they hate it when I do that.

That's life, use to be someone had to go over to your parents house and they would break out the photo album. No need to sue, and run to the courts for your Safe Space.

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

welt sure looks like the parents are being *******s. well that family get togethers are going to be interesting if they ever happen again. loosing your child is worth posting those pictures?

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Has any one of them said seriously, "I want you to take that photo down"?

Would you, if they made a serious request?

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

if they took those pics of you and printed them and stuck them in al the windows of the local store you would be good with that?

7. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I'd take one down if they asked, I'm an *******, but I'm not that kind of *******.

I wasn't clear before, no-one has a right to post a picture of anyone nude or in the bathroom. That's just uncivilized.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Exactly. We're talking about a whole different level of jerkdom here.

People be power trippin'.

9. Scepticalscribe, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I am more interested in why these parents think that it is acceptable to post such pictures anywhere, at anytime.

Anyway, I'm with @citizenzen on this; something strikes me as 'off' in that relationship. Besides, it seems to me as something that is extremely disrespectful of personal boundaries.

10. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

clearly the person has a dysfunction relationship with their parents. my mom has a ton of embarrassing photos of me when i was a kid which she shows to other family members which annoy me, but if i really put my foot down and told her to not to show a picture of mine i'm sure she'd listen.

mostly though i don't care because i secretly like my family teasing me about them, but they don't have to know that

11. Scepticalscribe, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, but there are two key differences here: One is the space, place or sphere where the photos being are shown: Your mother shows pictures of you to family members, which is something most people would view as being in 'the private space'.

If, as you say, you are 'secretly' fine with this, and the photos are shown within the private sphere, there isn't really a gross violation of boundaries - or trust.

If, however, such pictures - in their hundreds - are posted online without permission - and, in clear violation of the wishes of the person who had been photographed, well, that is a different matter entirely. Again, it seems to me to be a dysfunctional relationship, one where the parents have difficulty accepting that the daughter has some say - a right - to set and enforce some boundaries.

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

How about we just stop giving facebook data.

Facebook is not your friend, it is a surveillance engine. -- Richard Stallman

He's not likable, he's a little disgusting, but he's generally right.

13. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

My rule is simple. If anyone ever objects to a photo I've posted including themselves, I remove it. No questions asked.

This is a strange family.

14. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

The precious snowflakes need to get over it.

/sarc

15. sim667 macrumors 65816

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Parents should have complied it's a reasonable request, not everyone wants to be in the share everything on the internet crowd. Though I am surprised that someone so young is one of those people. This lawsuit is no worse than who was it PETA suing the photographer on behalf of the Monkey selfie.

17. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Seems like a divorce is at play here and the girl might be under the influence of the mother! ;)

18. samcraig macrumors P6

Cant imagine the holidays coming up will be very fun for these folks. The best policy (aside from not posting inappropriate pictures) is that if anyone who is in a picture or social post asks to be removed, the person posting should comply. Period.

19. mrex macrumors 68030

mrex

i think parents shouldnt put their childrens photos to facebook or any other places either. having the permission or not.

if you want to share photos, use some private channels like clouds or so...