Woman Who Falsely Cried Rape Convicted Of Manslaughter

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, May 3, 2008.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think that she should be held partly responsible; but no way should the guy have had charges against him dropped, he pulled the trigger.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354049,00.html

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

I don't know, I think I have to side with the court on this one. Imagine if was your child who came home crying, bruised, and yelled at a man driving off that he molested him. I probably wouldn't hesitate to shoot.

3. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

But if it turns out your child lied, should he/she be the only one who pays a penalty? You were the one who shot the man, not your kid.

4. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Good to see she's being held responsible for trivializing something so heinous. Let's just hope she gets the full twenty years, although I will be very surprised if she does.

5. 36183 Guest

I think that highlights the fundamental problem of the legality of guns in the United States, As far as I see it the man was totally in the wrong using a gun in that situation even if it was a real rape is excessive. the man behind the trigger was using excessive violence to deal with the situation.

Using the courts logic if the man did not have a gun, but he chased the other man out of the car and beat him to death, the woman is still responsible for his actions as she cried rape.

This makes me glad that i live in england where the possession of firearms is illegal.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yup. Personal firearms for protection prevent yet another crime. Think what would have happened if the guy had gotten away.

Good to see they are being used responsibly.

7. 36183 Guest

I think your mentality is wrong in may ways, firstly by shooting the man your teaching your child a very bad lesson in how to deal with their problems. Suppose your child has gone through the trauma of being beaten your suggesting to worsen it by putting him through the trauma of experiencing a murder, what do you call that in american, brilliant parenting ?

I am not a lawyer, but lying to your partner about affairs is not illegal (form what I know). yeah i admit she was pretty stupid to cry rape but her husband choose to use his gun using his own judgement. How I see it is that the husband should be done for murder.

8. 36183 Guest

I hope your being sarcastic

9. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Neither is yelling in a crowded movie theatre, unless it's 'FIRE!,' or something equally dangerous which could result in injury.

10. 36183 Guest

But then you have to look at intend, yelling "fire" in a theatre is a deliberate act to cause trouble, it could cause injury but then if people decided to start shooting other to clear the route out you can't pin it all back to one person.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

She obviously knew her husband better then anyone else, and figured she was a dead woman unless she did something.

A man is now dead because of that choice.

12. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

AFAIK, rape is one of the crimes that lethal force is allowed to be used in stopping. The article doesn't give us much to go on, but it's interesting to note that a lot of people here seem to be implying that the man should be penalized for what boils away to trusting in his wife. She's the one who cried rape and he acted upon it. On the one hand you have him acting to defend his wife, and on the other hand you have her trying to avoid responsibility for screwing up in the first place. Her own lawyers tried to blame it on him being hotheaded, so if that's what she really thought, then she knew how he would react. Either way, she set the chain of events in motion that resulted in someone's death and deserved to be called to account for it.

13. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

The wife caused the husband to react in a violent way by crying rape, he may not have reacted in such a way if she simply admitted her wrong doing.

Yes he pulled the trigger and should be held accountable for his actions, but remember they weren't premeditated actions they were an act of passion, he saw red and his anger was directed away from his wife by her lies.

The husband may not have reacted this way if she hadn't lied so her actions directly caused his therefor she is just as accountable as he for the crime in my opinion.

Let hope they both are suitably punished for their crimes.

14. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

This subject will attract a real split of people on both sides of the issue. My inclination would be to say it probably is not justified. However, I expect there are many other mitigating circumstance, and peripheral issues, in this story, which were not reported.

The police shoot fleeing suspects everyday, and many times it is for crimes which at most would earn them a year (or less) in jail. In their twisted logic, the shootings are ruled as justified. In my opinion, they are not.

15. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

A good point, and I agree with her conviction. However, I still think that the husband is partially responsible and should be held accountable.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Besides, even a dog knows better then to **** where he sleeps. ;)

17. 36183 Guest

I am reading

-she knew that her husband would commit murder
    -she incited him to commit murder
    -therefore she is wholly responsible for his actions.

and to trust someone does not mean to kill for them, the husband was in a position to act in many more reasonable ways before pulling the trigger. From what I have read so far I am presuming that the murder was preventable. The wife should be in trouble, but so should the husband. In a British court they would both be in serious trouble.

I think the overriding thing is that this would never have happened if gun were illegal in the states. How I see this is that they are only two reason why someone could carry a firearm (excluding police), either they do not feel safe in which case I am sure they would feel safer with the knowledge of guns being illegal in the country. Or they intend on committing murder, in which case making firearms illegal would be the solutions.

I really think american people should stop putting themselves in the illusion that guns are making them safer

18. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

gotta agree.....hope the bi@ch rots in jail...

the husband was compeltely manipulated and used. while I am surprised by the outcome, I suspect that whomever dropped the charges against the guy probably did so out of compassion.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Whatever the woman said, the husband had no right to appoint himself judge, jury and executioner.

20. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

oh please, not this again...can we not turn this into another gun ban thread?

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

OK, can we turn it into a lynch mob/vigilante thread?

22. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Easy to say, but what would YOU do if you thought someone close to you was being attacked????

I like to think I am fairly rational and calm, but if I though my wife or kid were being sexually assaulted, and I had reason to believe that the guy was in front of me, having just completed an assault, I honestly dont know how I would react.

23. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

She deserves jail time, but I have mixed feelings about the husband getting off scott free. On one hand how many people wouldn't want to kill the man you caught raping your wife, daughter, girlfriend, or mother. Defense of yourself or another person from attack can be considered justifiable homocide. On the other hand the "rapist" was driving away and obviously no longer posed a threat. But again how many people would be thinking clearly after stumbling upon their wife being raped? Grounds for temporary insanity...?

Lethal

24. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I think you're missing the point here - the fact that she cried rape. If this had been a simple case of man-comes-home-early-finds-cheating-wife-shoots-lover, then we'd probably be on the same page, or at least the same chapter.

I don't know the particulars of the legal system there, but here it's been affirmed that the police are under no obligation to protect anyone. They're janitors with shiny badges and arrest powers.

Something else I really don't get is this seemingly defeatist vibe I'm picking up from some of our more liberal/anti-gun members, especially the British ones. Not trying to stereotype, but the impression I'm getting is that you're taught to just let whatever happens happen and wait for someone else to come sort it out afterward. I'm willing to chalk it up to cultural differences, but there you are.

I hope 'Rat stumbles across this thread; maybe he can provide some light on this being from Texas himself and all.

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

They should get him for involuntary manslaughter, or at the very least, careless use of a firearm. :p