Women’s march cancelled for being too white...

s2mikey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
https://krcrtv.com/north-coast-news/eureka-local-news/organizers-cancel-womens-march-jan-19-due-to-overwhelmingly-white-participants

Oh boy. Here we go. You cancel a women’s event because there are too many white women? But, I thought this was about women and color didn’t come into play? Oh wait, that’s right, it’s not really about women it’s about....umm.....not really sure. How long until white women are totally discarded by the "feel good" pound me too movement or whatever other group?

How well would this have gone if the event was cancelled for too many black women being involved? There’d be looting and riots, at the least.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
How well would this have gone if the event was cancelled for too many black women being involved? There’d be looting and riots, at the least.
The key point, as JayMysterio points out, is that the organizers themselves canceled the march. If a black group tried to organize a march or protest and felt they weren't getting enough broad base support from other communities they might also decide to cancel it. That's different from someone outside the group preventing the event because there were too many blacks involved, which is what your comment appears to be referring to.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
The key point, as JayMysterio points out, is that the organizers themselves canceled the march. If a black group tried to organize a march or protest and felt they weren't getting enough broad base support from other communities they might also decide to cancel it. That's different from someone outside the group preventing the event because there were too many blacks involved, which is what your comment appears to be referring to.
Animal references activate!

I was trying to avoid the elephant in the room, with what might have been a bit of dog whistling at the end.

Thank you for being more tactful.

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
What do you do when the elephant in the room starts stomping the place up because it was startled by the dogwhistle?

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
What do you do when the elephant in the room starts stomping the place up because it was startled by the dogwhistle?
Usually you avoid it. But then it doesn't do anything about the rampaging elephant that didn't need to be baited into rampaging. So sometimes you risk it to call it out, and stop such things from happening. :(

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
https://krcrtv.com/north-coast-news/eureka-local-news/organizers-cancel-womens-march-jan-19-due-to-overwhelmingly-white-participants

Oh boy. Here we go. You cancel a women’s event because there are too many white women? But, I thought this was about women and color didn’t come into play? Oh wait, that’s right, it’s not really about women it’s about....umm.....not really sure. How long until white women are totally discarded by the "feel good" pound me too movement or whatever other group?

Only in race baiting land........ Say that again 3 times and it will start to make sense... Or NOT! :p

Everything is about race these days to a certain segment and political party, everything!

Seems pretty reasonable that a protest shouldn’t just reflect the upper middle classes...
All white woman are upper middle class? I am sure that will come as news to many of them.....

Last edited:

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
Wow. o_O You somehow got that from that? That really took some work. I commend you for that incredible reach.
Stating that a community can only be adequately represented based on proper racial demographics is an assumption that different races have different political beliefs specific to that race. They suggest that because participants are 'overwhelmingly white', and for no other reason, this makes the representative group an inferior reflection on the full community. That is racist.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Only in race baiting land........ Say that again 3 times and it will start to make sense... Or NOT! :p

Everything is about race these days to a certain segment and political party, everything!
Just so I am sure. It's about race when one of you bring it up. When others you don't agree with bring it up, it's NOT about race and they are just interjecting it needlessly. Seems pretty one sided & selective.

Case in point...
Stating that a community can only be adequately represented based on proper racial demographics is an assumption that different races have different political beliefs specific to that race. They suggest that because participants are 'overwhelmingly white', and for no other reason, this makes the representative group an inferior reflection on the full community. That is racist.
So I'm supposed to take your word over why they felt like canceling their own event, over their own?
"Up to this point, the participants have been overwhelmingly white, lacking representation from several perspectives in our community," the press release went on to say. "Instead of pushing forward with crucial voices absent, the organizing team will take time for more outreach. Our goal is that planning will continue and we will be successful in creating an event that will build power and community engagement through connection between women that seek to improve the lives of all in our community."

The group said it is exploring holding an event in March to celebrate International Women’s Day. Anyone interested in helping organize these events are welcome and encouraged to attend.
Seems like they are pretty clear in wanting other voices in their group to better represent a broader women's perspective in their community. I mean I am taking their word for it, because it is their event. Now true, I am guessing that you are not a woman, nor involved in any way with this event, which is why your version of why they cancelled I'm not putting a lot of stock in. Only that it is more pearl clutching from the hysterical, worried about why something can't be they way they imagine it should be.

Despite what's peddled though by some, diversity isn't a bad thing. If these women want their event to be more diverse, it's their event to make more diverse. It's awful nice of them to make the decision to ask for more input from more people that they didn't think they heard from.

I guess though maybe they could shoot you a thanks for spreading the word about their future event. Only they might be a bit surprised about why you are so concerned with their event.

Or to put it more bluntly, why do give a rat's rear end about this women's event?

Just trying to stay with the animal bit for this next response. Get it? Rats, elephants... Wow tough crowd.

Wait. You calling the organizers fat?
Wow, so not even close, to make it a joke. :rolleyes: One liners can't be all winners.

Sorry for the wait, I waited until everyone got their comments in, so I could answer all in one post.

Last edited:
Reactions: 88Keys

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Just so I am sure. It's about race when one of you bring it up. When others you don't agree with bring it up, it's NOT about race and they are just interjecting it needlessly. Seems pretty one sided & selective.

Case in point...

So I'm supposed to take your word over why they felt like canceling their own even, over their own?

Seems like they are pretty clear in wanting other voices in their group to better represent a broader women's perspective in their community. I mean I am talking their word for it, because it is their event. Now true, I am guessing that you are not a woman, nor involved in any way with this event, which is why your version of why they cancelled I'm not putting a lot of stock in. Only that it is more pearl clutching from the hysterical, worried about why something can't be they way they imagine it should be.

Despite what's peddled though by some, diversity isn't a bad thing. If these women want their event to be more diverse, it's their event to make more diverse. It's awful nice of them to make the decision to ask for more important from more people that they didn't think they heard from.

I guess though maybe they could shot you a thanks for spreading the word about their future event. Only they might be a bit surprised about why you are so concerned with their event.

Or to put it more bluntly, why do give a rat's rear end about this women's event?

Just trying to stay with the animal bit for this next response. Get it? Rats, elephants... Wow tough crowd.

Wow, so not even close, to make it a joke. :rolleyes: One liners can't be all winners.

Sorry for the wait, I waited until everyone got their comments in, so I could answer all in one post.
They canceled because of race. Not enough “diversity “ showed up. Personally glad less minority’s feel victimized

Eggtastic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
And it's their event to cancel if they wish. If they feel it didn't represent enough of their community. They might be right.

It is their community.

Why is that so bad again?
It's racist? That was the main reason for cancelling, skin color. You are spinning it (as usual, you must have a strong dislike for white people) to say its because its not reflective of their community.

I am just curious, what is your background / ethnicity? You were splitting hairs defending Sarah Jeong of the NY Times with her racist tweets and again spun it as a joke.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
It's racist? That was the main reason for cancelling, skin color. You are spinning it (as usual, you must have a strong dislike for white people) to say its because its not reflective of their community.

I am just curious, what is your background / ethnicity? You were splitting hairs defending Sarah Jeong of the NY Times with her racist tweets and again spun it as a joke.
So these apparently white women were racist to whom when they cancelled their own event? Who again? o_O

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I've seen enough white, far left on twitter and youtube hating white people and white "culture". So, yes... still racist.
That didn't answer my question, who were these apparent white women racist too?

I'm sure you imagine you've seen enough white, far left on twitter & youtube hating white... Ugh! I can't finish typing all that. I'm just sure you see what you want to see. You run with that, just don't have scissors in hand while you do. You wouldn't want to hurt yourself in life anymore than you may already have.
[doublepost=1546194840][/doublepost]
It's awfully hard to be disappointed in such a worthless event not taking place. What should we do instead? :p
Leave them to their event in peace? It didn't seem to be bothering anyone. I don't believe anyone here carrying on about it was going. There ya go. Nothing missed. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Raid and LizKat

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom

Case in point...

So I'm supposed to take your word over why they felt like canceling their own even, over their own?

Seems like they are pretty clear in wanting other voices in their group to better represent a broader women's perspective in their community. I mean I am talking their word for it, because it is their event. Now true, I am guessing that you are not a woman, nor involved in any way with this event, which is why your version of why they cancelled I'm not putting a lot of stock in. Only that it is more pearl clutching from the hysterical, worried about why something can't be they way they imagine it should be.

Despite what's peddled though by some, diversity isn't a bad thing. If these women want their event to be more diverse, it's their event to make more diverse. It's awful nice of them to make the decision to ask for more important from more people that they didn't think they heard from.

I guess though maybe they could shot you a thanks for spreading the word about their future event. Only they might be a bit surprised about why you are so concerned with their event.

Nobody is saying they can't be racist. They can do so at their events. It doesn't mean they can't be criticised for it. It's just a deflection to suggest that because I'm not a participant, I shouldn't be commenting.