Won a free iPad, but want to sell and get soon-to-be-released iPad 2 instead

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Egosphere, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Egosphere macrumors member

So I just got word that I won an iPad in this random giveaway sweepstakes I signed up for. Cool, huh? But, I want the iPad 2, of course. Duh. It's like less than a month away, probably.

What should I do?

One option is to simply sell it on ebay and use the money toward iPad 2. But I think sweepstakes prizes usually take forever to actually be delivered. Maybe by the time I get it the iPad 2 will be out. That would suck. But if that isn't the case, how much do new, in-the-box iPads go for on ebay anyway?

Or, would the Apple store take it for store credits? They would do that with a gift, right?

Another option is to ask for a cash equivalent of the MSRP or simply ask them to delay delivery (and purchase of prize?! but maybe they already have it). That doesn't sound like a real option. I think cash equivalent is ruled out in the official rules. And they probably don't care enough about me to want to make their process more difficult and delay a part of it.

Any ideas/comments?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Unless there is something that says you can request the cash equivalent which is very unlikely, you will have to just wait for it to be delivered and then sell it.
    Or you could just enjoy having it, and use it until the next one comes out, you won't get as much money for it, but you do get use out of the iPad sooner.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This. And there would be no new ipad in the next month. It could be announced, but you won't be buying it. :rolleyes:

4. Synthion macrumors regular

God! You won a freakin' ipad! I wish i had your problems!

But seriously, with all due respect, I congratulate you. Just keep it! It is still more advanced than anything coming out soon, and you will not regret not waiting for v2. I won an iPod Touch 2g a few weeks ago. I could have sold it and put that money towards a 4g or even an iPad. But I kept it. And love it! :D So good for you!

5. i eversaw macrumors regular

i eversaw

weird, I won an iPad too! it was the 64 gig + 3g. I decided to sell it, and use the money I got to get an iPad 2 when they are released. After all, after not having one for this long, what's a little longer? Plus, I made more money that the thing is probably going to cost :cool:

6. jazziethomas macrumors member

Wish I could also win and have such kind of prices. If you really want the iPad 2 then sell the iPad besides the gen 2 would be released by February.

7. cmagnet macrumors newbie

Your right to try and sell or trade it for credits now before the value goes down by the time the ipad 2 comes out

8. jasg49 macrumors member

If it is unopened, I'd bet you can return it for store credit.

I did just that a few years ago when bought a Costco MacMini bundle. I didn't want keyboard, mouse or AppleCare and got credit for all of them.

9. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Honestly, you can likely sell it for more than retail or pretty near it if you go via Craigslist. I sold a 6-month old iPad 64g Wifi for 95% of what I paid for it. People are still pretty anxious to get their hands on one.