Won an iPad2 but don't have it yet. How do I turn it into an iPad3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JPark, Mar 2, 2012.

1. JPark, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

JPark macrumors 6502a

Howdy all,
    I won an iPad2 64GB WiFi in a competition at work. They're supposed to get it to me "in a couple of weeks." While there's always a (very) small chance they'll get me the 3 instead, they'll likely wait until the 3 is out and then get me the 2 to save a few bucks.

So, once I get it, how can I turn it into a 32GB iPad3? I know I can sell it on ebay or craigslist, but it won't fetch nearly as much as it would have a week ago, and not enough to cover the cost of a 32GB 3. Would an Apple store give me store credit for it? Target? Sam's Club?

Any thoughts?

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

There have been a few recent posts about this. The previous posters had luck with returning it unopened to the Apple store for a gift card. That would probably be the best route.

3. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

Without a receipt? I returned my ipad 2 to the apple store opened with a receipt. not 1 question about it.

4. Stealthipad, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

As the other poster indicated, I would not open and Apple has been known to give you full retail value in the form of a gift card.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This seems to be the best plan. Good luck OP.

6. JPark thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks all. I'll give it a try. This is actually the second iPad I've won. I won an original iPad shortly before the 2 came out. I sold it, intending to use the money on an iPad2. I used it to get married instead. It was a pretty good trade :D, but I'm happy I have this second shot at an iPad.

7. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

The posters on those topics stated they did not have a receipt. One of then stated it was a prize, similar to the OP in this thread.

8. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Does Apple allow giftcards on new-release items?

9. dgstan macrumors 6502a

FWIW - I won an 4GB iPod Nano at work a few years ago. I wanted to exchange it for an 8GB (of course paying the difference in price).

I took it to the Apple Store and they scanned it. From the scan, they were able to tell me where it was purchased (Best Buy). Apple wouldn't let me exchange it since it was from Best Buy. I took it to BB and they did the upgrade.

So, take it into the Apple Store. If they won't take it back, they might be able to tell you where it came from. Sometimes it's easier to deal with a pimply-faced kid at BB then a pimply-faced young adult at Apple.

10. cpucrash0 macrumors regular

Best Buy don't exchange without receipt now. They are real strict on that now but they use to allow it.

11. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

I won an 16 GB Wifi iPad 2 in October at a annual meeting raffle and I took it to the Apple store and paid the difference to get a 32GB wifi model. The only thing that the sales person told me was that it had to originally be bought from an Apple store and not a 3rd party retailer. Luckily mine was and I was able to upgrade.

12. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

My thought is to tell them you need the gift receipt, as proof of ownership. Tell them now, not when you receive it.