Wonder if it will be "The New iPhone"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amro, Mar 7, 2012.

1. amro macrumors 6502

So, with "The New iPad", are we going to get a "New iPhone"? Maybe they're getting away from number increments.

2. vomer macrumors member

FFS, it's just "iPad". New just indicates it is a new version..not the name.

I agree they seem to be dropping the numbers which makes sense. I really hope the next iPhone has 4" Retina / Redesign / LTE?

It will most likely run A5X but would be nice to see new processor by then.

3. amro thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, it'll just be the iPhone.

I think we'll see either the A5x or A6 and LTE. iOS6 to be introduced with it.

Don't think screen size will change or memory increased. We'll be lucky to get NFC.

4. ap3604 macrumors 68000

So when the next version comes out this years "New iPad" will be changed to the "Old iPad" ;)

5. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

6. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

It's "The new iPad" according to Apple's own site.

Attached Files:

• wtf.png
      wtf.png
      File size:
      52.9 KB
      Views:
  7. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I just can't. *shaking my head*

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

In your very own reference picture, the words "the new" are not in the same bold faced text as "iPad". personally it seems they are going to a naming schem much like their iPod line. It's always been just "iPod".

9. Will0827 macrumors regular

Will0827

Maybe over the course of the next couple of months apple will drop the "New" name and it'll just be ipad. What i do like is that because there is LTE it maybe that the next iphone will have LTE for sure. And if the screen does get a size increase, maybe the resolution will be doubled to 1920 x 1280. Wishful thinking.

10. Planey28 macrumors 6502

They're using 'the new' prefix to identify the fact that it's new (duh). If they just suddenly went back to calling it 'iPad', people would be confused. I'm sure over time it will just be referred to as 'iPad'. I don't believe 'the new' is part of the name, as others have said, it will just be referred to as 'iPad' like iPod nano is the name for every generation of iPod nano, and they are instead referred to as 'the 5th generation iPod nano' for example.

11. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Then just call it "iPad" and drop "The new" part from the name.

Type face is irrelevant. Apple has done mixed typeface before in product names.
    Look at the MacBook Air logo for example... Air is not bold.

BY the way... I'm just screwing with you guys. ;)
    Apple has plopped the words "The new" in front of a lot of products.
    The Mac mini still has it on its product page.

I imagine they're doing it to not confuse shoppers into thinking it's the original iPad.

12. motoleo, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I've had my fill.

Noticed with promotional videos they always said, "With iPad 2 blah blah..." when it should be "With 'THE' iPad 2 blah blah..."

And now they're having this new iPad and calling it, THE new iPad???

13. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Well, dropping this numbering nonsense would get rid of these stupid iphone 5 vs 6 debates. :rolleyes:

14. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Along with getting rid of the 4 vs 4S nonsense as well... it would simply be the "new iPhone" vs "previous gen iPhone". Would stop alot of trolls from cluttering up the forum with "3Gs sucks as an update!" type threads...

15. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Wait, am I dreaming? Is Apple finally doing the thing I said they should have done since the 3GS? Hopefully they stick to this one naming convention now and not bring out the iPad 4 next year.

16. cynics macrumors G3

I'm sorry I'm not following. So if this is the iPad and the next iPhone will be the iPhone how will we know the differences?

I had a hell of a time getting a 4S case versus a 4 case on Amazon and they had different names!

17. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Wait until the box comes, from the commercials, it's just marketed as 'iPad'.

It so much easier to understand when you've watched the commercials.

Besides... I realized...
    [​IMG]

18. k3roro macrumors 6502

Actually. I think this makes more sense.

When you see new versions of the iMac and MacBook Air, it doesn't say what generation it is.

19. luked14 macrumors 6502

It'll most likely be the same way we refer to MacBooks and iMacs. 2012 iPhone, 2013 iPad, etc.

20. cynics macrumors G3

Gotcha. I don't have a Mac so I really didn't know they didn't have models. That would make sense though.

21. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I expect it to be just iPhone at this point as the 4S (instead of 5 caused enough confusion and pointless debate).

22. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Anyone read the article at 9to5mac? I wouldn't be surprised if the next iPhone becomes "The New iPhone", that name would also distinguish it from the 4S and the rest of the models by lacking one of the #s and/or S model designations.

23. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

[​IMG]

The new iPad box art. Clearly it's just called "iPad".

24. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Good :)

About damn time they drop the 4, 3GS, etc...

25. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Technically this iPad is the iPad 3s, but in order to appeal to consumers they knew they would go ahead and just say the new iPad because iPad users are more gullible than iPhone users