Wonder why you can't find an iPhone 5 in store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ACint24, Oct 28, 2012.

1. ACint24 macrumors member

It's because there are people lining up the day before buying 2 each to resell them outside the US. I have been to multiple stores where I live and this is the case everywhere.

I even spoke to a "genius" who told me they had to call the cops the other day because two rival "factions" were fighting over who was in line first.

Apple needs to make it so people can only buy ONE iPhone per ID.

*end rant :mad:

2. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

what I get from this is people buy 2 iPhones and that because some people sell the other one or give it away as a gift that they should change the rules so you can find an iphone 5, correct?
    Kind of selfish.

3. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

Give the reservation system a shot, a lot of people report success, myself included. I actually got two that way :eek:

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

No, it's not that.

It's organised gangs buying them in massive quantities, to resell abroad in countries where the iPhone isn't available, at massive profits.

This is exactly the reason you can't find one in store. They even have scripts which take the reservations as quickly as they can.

5. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Well then power to them. In 4 days the people that bought it will feel stupid when it releases in pretty much the rest of the world. If you want it that bad then just refresh your cart at 10pm or order a 32gb or 64gb and get it in 1-2 weeks

6. Fanboi4life macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

Yeah, who gives a crap if some people are profiting from the sensationalism, more power to them. This is America, not Cuba...

7. noteple macrumors 65816

Don't surf the stores, use the reservation system like the gangs do :)

8. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

That's why you everyone should use the reservation system until their supply meets the demand. It's the best way without wasting time at the store.

9. Powrie macrumors 6502

Apple is working on offering the iPhone in many other countries to curtail this silliness.

10. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

As multiple people already said, just use the reservation system. There's no downside.

11. Cizan macrumors newbie

for some countries it is still cheaper to buy an iPhone from here than buying it from their own country.

12. green tea macrumors member

How are people even buying more than 2 phones since you technically can't buy an unlocked phone yet

13. Merkie macrumors 68020

I'm sorry, but what you're saying is simply not true. Apple has trouble supplying countries all over the world. Apple simply has trouble meeting the demand. It doesn't matter if the phones are sold by resellers or Apple Stores. No one keeps the phones for themselves, only the people who actually intend to use the phone.

----------

I can't tell if you're kidding or not :confused: ?

14. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Wonder why you can't find an iPhone 5 in store?

You want to know why I can't find an iPhone 5 in store?

It's because there aren't any Apple stores here (Ireland) :mad:

I ordered mine the second it came online at 1am and had to wait a month from the get go.

So excuse me if I don't feel sorry for you OP.

15. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

There isn't even an Apple Store in Austria, so I guess not having iPhone here is somehow connected.
    But seriously how about: There are no iPhones in the Apple Stores because they are sold out because people LIKE THE DEVICE?!

16. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

Reservations might work in some places but not where I live. I am close to 2 hours from the closest store and so far I check every night at 10 pm and nothing! Not just nothing from Greenville, SC (the one that's a little less than 2 hours away) but nothing from anywhere within 5 hours. I have one on order from Verizon but the expected ship date isn't until nov. 16. I waited to order thinking the wait times would eventually go down but they haven't. This is getting ridiculous!

17. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Demand.

Reserve or order online.

18. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

19. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

So let me get this straight. You waited so you wouldn't have to wait? Man, that is some rock solid logic right there!:D

20. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

I agree with ther OP this is happeneing...My girlfriend who lives in Thailand has already asked me to buy two and bring them when I visit in November. and they need not be unlocked they can unlock the AT&T version with no problem...Apple says the limit is two per customer but I know people that have gotten around this...

21. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Hmmm, I just woke up at 3:00 AM on launch day and pre-ordered one. No probs here.

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

I had no luck when I checked literally at 10pm. I was able to snag mine when I started refreshing my cart at 9:55pm. It appears that many times, the 10pm update goes live a few minutes early, and by the time it literally hits 10pm, that lot is sold.

----------

Wonder how the script works?

To make a reservation in the US, you either have to be an existing wireless customer, or sign up for a new plan. Either way, you need a valid SSN, drivers license, and legit billing address.

23. war eagle macrumors 6502a

I went to the Apple store on launch day and picked one up no problems.

24. victorbd macrumors newbie

What if you're not eligible to reserve one through the online reservation system (i.e. international student, no ssn, fresh ssn that requires you to put a $500 deposit and that would not allow you to reserve an iPhone...)?

You get screwed.

25. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Mad bro? If you can't beat em join em