Wonder Woman Discussion/Movie (spoilers likely)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Discussion pulled from the PRSI WW and the Community Movie thread.

Only mild spoilers in this post.

It's subjective, but from my perspective, I liked WW's back story, and I loved Gal Godat in this role. I also thought most of the fight sequences except at the end were well done.

However, Chris Pine's performance was so so. It's possible he has not much depth beyond being an action star.

But the visual settings and story telling were pretty dismal (for my tastes). I realize there was an artistic choice to make the world including London, during WWI to be ugly. The CGI in many aspects was almost felt like a throwback to the stylized CGI of earlier movies from at least a decade ago.

The depiction of the front seemed small, the village where WW decides to help, isolated and chopped up. It felt more like watching a stage play than the continuity of a movie, lacking the grand scope that I would prefer. It was like watching a battle of thousands, turned into a fight involving a dozen.

I did not care for the cinematography, the atmosphere, septia filters, visual atmospheric conditions, and the depiction of the Germans, who seemed shallow and one dimensional. This extends to the German setting, the German threat or the depiction and threat to the disruption the armistice. The climatic fight seemed somewhat dissatisfying.

But despite all this, I find myself wanting to see this movie, just to see this Wonder Woman again. :)
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2017 ---
    Inspired from the PRSI thread:

Gal Gadot was 5 months pregnant during shooting of 'Wonder Woman'

According to Entertainment Weekly, Gadot was five months pregnant when she returned to London's Leavesden Studios to film an additional scene, and the costume department had to cut a section out of the front of her costume and replace it with green cloth so her figure could be altered in postproduction.

"On close-up I looked very much like Wonder Woman," Gadot said. "On wide shots I looked very funny, like Wonder Woman pregnant with Kermit the Frog."

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Here is my take on the movie. Spoilers ahead.

Acts I and II are my favorite. In fact the scene when she takes on the Germans on the front line is my favorite scene in the movie. I loved that scene and the actual tones of the film added for me.

Act III was horrible IMHO. I get the Aries part of the movie, but I didn't like his character, didn't like the big battle between them, and I didn't like the crescendo of the scene. It did nothing for me, to me the CG actually took me out of the movie as it wasn't that good. Especially during a few of the scenes when they were running or flying towards each other. Horrible.

I also liked the chemistry between her and Chris Pines character. I was sad to see him go, but I am glad they did do it that way. Yes there was a "happy ending" but I am glad it didn't involve him. I also really liked the little message she sends to Wayne via email at the end.

There were a couple of scenes that were flat out funny, the 12 books conversation had both me and the wife cracking up along with the "above average" comment. We also really liked the character who was Italian, I think. His comments in the bar were pretty funny also.

I too also felt she was perfect for the role, excellent casting and I believe we have found the next Wonder Woman. Not a bad first outing at all. Both me and the wife really enjoyed the film. A lot. I am glad to see DC get there act together by putting out a good movie since their three previous movies have been horrible. Man of Steel, BvS, and Suicide Squad.

Over all I gave it a solid "B", to me it would have been higher except the last battle scene really didn't do it for me. By comparison, MOS and SS were a solid "D-" and BvS was a "D".

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I agree a B. The 12 book conversation was worth a chuckle. I was critical about a lot of aspects about the movie, including the end fight, but the actresses added a lot of depth to her character (along with a thank you to the writers and director), and it irritated me the Germans in contrast were so one dimensional.

So I had many critiques, but still want to see this again. Happy to see Robin Wright (Hose of Cards, Princess Bride) and David Thewlis ( Fargo, Harry Potter) and interesting character actors who played Sameer, Charlie, and the Chief. :)

4. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

[huge spoiler below so you've been warned!] :)

Actually the thing I liked the least was David Thewlis as Ares... as much as I like him as an actor, he's not quite like I imagined the big baddie in his armor at the end... ;)

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Same here.

6. addictive macrumors regular

I have seen all the MCU movies and DC ones too. Recent ones I've sat watching the superhero movie saying to myself "Why am I watching this?". They don't appeal to me like they used to and they saturate the movie industry.

I thought Gal Gadot was fantastic in her role but I thought Chris Pine was disappointing especially since Pine is so good in last year's Hell or High Water (recommended viewing). However, I didn't think their chemistry was particularly strong. There was very little smart or sassy dialogue in the movie.

I thought the screenwriting was poor and derivative some parts seemed liked the first Captain America.

A lot of stuff just happened conveniently - like someone turning up at the right place at the right time. I know this happens in big popcorn movies all the time but the movie just seemed lazy to me.

I guess I'm no longer their target audience.

7. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

In terms of comic book movies, it's above almost all of the Marvel Cinematic Universe solo films. I have it on par with Iron Man I, which makes it the best DC film since the Dark Knight trilogy.

Gal Gadot was fantastic, Chris Pine was good, the cast of characters was pretty good. The story was well executed even if it was a bit contrived at times.

And with regards to that ending, I see what they were trying to do, but I would have preferred the evil professor being Ares or something. The ending the way it was didn't just translate when it came to the villain.

That being said, I completely disagree with the assertion that Pine and Gadot had no chemistry. Their performances as a duo were some of the best in the film and the resolution in their relationship was quite satisfying.

8. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Absolutely loved this movie. By far, the best superhero movie I've seen in a while.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm not a fan of superhero movies, but decided to go to this one based on the positive feedback it received. As most here have said, I'd give it a solid B. I'd also agree that the more human moments were more satisfying than the battle between her and Ares ... a battle that reminds me why I normally hate superhero movies.

But here's a question ... when you beat a god, isn't every other battle after that anticlimactic? What enemy will she go against next that is more powerful than a god? And if somehow, someone conjures up a villain that is more powerful, what does that say about the power of a god? Have gods been oversold all these years?

I guess I just don't "get" Chris Pine. I didn't like him in this part either. I thought the scene where he tries to persuade WW that humanity is worth fighting for was utterly disjointed, semi-hysterical and unconvincing to my ears.

10. Babu Life macrumors member

Babu Life

I think this was the best DC universe film yet, Superman vs Batman was so depressing, luckily they saved themselves with this one.

11. Huntn, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

It's kind of like the problem I had with Thor, except Thor was stripped of his power in the first movie. In the second movie, he fought another God. For Wonder Woman, even for Thor these beings exist in a plane above humans, my impression is they have great powers but are not omnipotent, and have to compete against other Gods in their class. Granted I don't remember anything about the WW comic or the TV show, but I imagine she should be able to beat any human, but at the same time I wonder what would happen if she failed to block a bullet with her brackets. :)

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And that is how it turned out in this movie: WW was Ares half-sister, thus a god, and able to defeat him.

But jump ahead to the next WW movie. I doubt they'll continue this battle against gods theme and move onto her battling robots, aliens, or mad scientists who've created one doomsday device or another. But isn't that villain by definition an easier opponent than a god? Did WW peak in her first solo film, and will battle lesser opponents in subsequent movies? Or will the filmmakers hope people forget the god angle? Or is it possible to build a robot or device or meet an alien race that is more powerful than a god?

13. ItsNotaTumor macrumors member

ItsNotaTumor

That's the goal of any enemy for a superhero whether they're a god or not... but we all know in the end what will happen. The success of the film will rely on the storytelling convincing us that the god (Diana) in question can somehow NOT have as powerful a chance once that final battle comes.

I know a lot of people don't like the third act but I think its still great despite the first two acts being fantastic. Ordinary men in meetings, huddled in rooms are what cause wars after all, not evil gods - so I didn't have a problem that Thewlis had such an un-fantastic look.

14. citizenzen, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017

citizenzen macrumors 65816

Regardless of the opponent, every superhero finale looks exactly like a professional wrestling match, where champion looks beaten, nearly out, yet somehow summons the will to overcome all odds and defeat their foe.

Hulk Hogan perfected the technique. And everybody copies it.

15. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Good questions. :) I think one approach for these stories is to think of them as a tier above humans, but that they may have exploitable weaknesses and that human technology may match their power. The question to be answered is are for all intents are they immortal, or can they be destroyed? I believe in Thor, they could.

One of the interesting philosophical discussions is when the human race finds itself outclassed by aliens how do you tell if they are gods, immortal or just technically advanced? It can be hard. :p At least one of the Star Trek Next Generstion stories (Devil's Due) was about a being claiming she was a god. Usually this claim requires that you be able to snap your fingers and make things happen without technology support. But with WW and Thor, we have real Gods. So I assume Ares was vanquished, but not destroyed.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 17, 2017 ---
    He may have been using a false persona/appearance.

16. Roller macrumors 68020

IIRC, Wonder Woman was injured early in the movie - a relatively minor laceration on her arm - so she was vulnerable at that point. But her powers increased with time, so maybe her susceptibility to harm did, too.

BTW, I very much enjoyed Wonder Woman. Gal Gadot was excellent, and I liked that her relationship with Steve Trevor didn't become sexual. The climactic battle went on too long, but that's my biggest complaint. It's telling that a few people I know who dislike most superhero movies enjoyed this one.

17. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Gadot carried the film, her performance made it worth seeing, otherwise I did not care for many of the artistic choices the director and producers made.

18. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

In a comic book movie, literally anything can happen. A few:
    • Have an equal, but evil WW via cloning, parallel universe, different-timeline, genetic engineering, whatever.
    • Ares wasn't actually killed, just temporarily defeated. He comes back stronger.
    • Ares was indeed killed, but is brought back through some mystical means.
    • Some of the gods that were described as dead aren't actually dead, just sleeping, trapped, or waiting. One or more mischievous ones are awoken.
    • Create a situation where WW has lost her armor. After all, she only defeated Ares because her vambraces absorbed and reflected his own energy strike.
    • Greatly outnumber her and cause problems all over the world--she can only be in one place at one time.
    • Have some sort of kryptonite-like mechanism that reduces her to normal human capability.
    • Some sort of mechanism that grants an evil human god-like status.
    • Contrive a situation where WW is framed and believed to be evil, and so she has to defeat the actual evil while at the same time the whole world is turned against her.
    • An illusionist or mental trickster that causes misdirection such that WW cannot direct her attacks correctly, and instead attacks friends, allies, or innocents.
    There must be a million ways around this.

19. Ilovefreemovie macrumors newbie

Ilovefreemovie

Gal Gadot wonderfully inhabits the mix of curiosity, sincerity, badassery, and compassion that Wonder Woman should have since the beginning. Most importantly, I love the way she wears her suit, the suit doesn’t wear her. She has evoked classical heroism that audiences get use to since Superman in 1970s .
    [​IMG]

20. MichaelJack macrumors newbie

MichaelJack

Hey, I'm Searching this Wonder leather Jacket For Woman. As a gift for my Girlfriend. Can anybody suggest me any good website? Where I can buy an exact same jacket. https://imgur.com/jMazzvA

21. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

^ Nice Jacket ... I think searching for Wonder Woman Leather jacket first and then see what comes similar. Maybe look into getting a custom job? You'll need her measurements and frame size (Shoulders down to hips including ribs and how they taper).

There is another Wonder Woman movie that was to debut soon - regarding the creator's background story and the two models he fashioned the image of WonderWoman (physical and persona) in the comics.

22. MichaelJack macrumors newbie

MichaelJack

So Have you found any site ??

23. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

24. MichaelJack, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017

MichaelJack macrumors newbie

MichaelJack