Wonder Woman Meets Her Match

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I never realized that Linda Carter was appointed last month as an honorary ambassador to the UN for the empowerment of women and girls.

This week it was reported that she has now fired from her honorary position because her character in the show Wonder Woman wore skimpy clothing and was prone to violence. A petition started by UN staffers led to her being fired.

From what I remember from the show, it did stress women empowerment and I think Linda Carter would have made a good spokesperson. I also don't remember it being particularly violent with the bad guys being knocked out or lassoed.

What do you think of Linda being fired and who should be the spokesperson ?

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

PC BS if you ask me. Wonder Woman is a character that helped breaking the chains of the idea of a submissive woman.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Sounds like a bunch of Winny people either didn't like her or didn't like an outsider as a head so they though this up.

4. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

I actually think it's because she represented the US.

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

They do know she portrayed a fictional character right? Someone should alert the press that the Presidential Medal of Freedom was just award to Al Capone (Robert De Niro-Untouchables).

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

7. citizenzen, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016

citizenzen macrumors 65816

Ironic stance: we reject the choice because other people might reject the choice.

And this is an interesting point as well ...
    Tinkerbell's level of exposure is virtually the same as Wonder Woman.
    tink.png
    It just sounds like a big overreaction.

8. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I think it's likely a lot of the people on that Petition were still crapping in diapers when her show was on the air. Bunch of wussies.

Anxiously awaiting a tweet about the matter from Trump.

9. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

I just wonder if a majority of complainers were from countries that think a woman's body should be covered.

I would like to hear @LizKat's opinion on this article.

10. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

What is the point of using fictional characters as ambassadors? Seems kinda dumb.

Anyway the reasons for removing Wonder Woman are dumb. I thought it was supposed to make women feel empowered about their bodies? Now skimpy clothing is bad?

Should remove this whole fictional character BS though seriously. This is why people think the UN is a joke. Plenty of actual women who embody empowerment, why not give them a voice and more resources.

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Awareness. It helps spreading a message - especially if the character is well known - because of familiarity with it.
    Indiana Jones promoting the National Museum of American History is more effective than Harrison Ford.

12. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Hm I see. That's pretty cool actually. And I freaking love Indy. He's the coolest movie character besides maybe my hero when I was 6: luke skywalker

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

You see? I just sold you a ticket to the next exhibit ;)

14. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

People who can't separate an actor from one of the many characters he has portrayed has some serious issues.

15. unlinked macrumors 6502a

UN staff outfit shaming wonder woman.
    Well I never.

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yep, and too undressed and by the comic book character's reputation, far too uppity in a physical way.

Empowerment to half the world could be as simple a thing as being allowed to go to school, or to travel to the local village market unaccompanied by a male relative as chaperone. Who can read and write and do arithmetic, or who can go to the market alone can learn how to become a marketer.

Ah, the dangers of literacy, numeracy, commerce. Who knows where that can lead.

Consider Cleopatra... when I consider her, I think to myself, ok, here in the USA and many other countries, women have come a long way since I was born, but way before that the whole world must have fallen into a black hole for a really long time: female heads of state are not unheard of even in the wayback of world history.

OK so I think of Cleopatra again. What the heck happened? Even in the much later times of King Farouk there was still a cosmopolitan, multi-ethnic, multilingual atmosphere of freedom in the great city of Alexandria. Then came Nasser. Hope and fear alike were then mingled for the Arabs left in the decade after the Europeans fled the place or were thrown out. And yet look at Egypt today. Those changes, those ups and downs, this most recent shutdown have all occurred in my lifetime. Things can go backwards pretty fast. All it takes is a strongman and some willing henchmen, of the legislative sort or the old fashioned hard line "might is right" sort. And of course there's the odd foreign entanglement...

Reminder to those born sooner than I was: women in the USA usually could not have credit in their own names back in the 1950s. The Equal Credit Opportunity Act of 1974 first made it illegal to refuse credit solely on basis of gender.

What's empowerment of women, anyway? Gaining the right to shed street clothes in Peshawar and kick the tar out of your average badmashi come down from the hills? Not that one might not be tempted from time to time :D

Empowerment of women is knowing they've been in charge sometimes and can be in charge again. To get there you have to be able to read, or else live in a tribe where oral history prevails through generations despite wars and oppression. The best bet is being able to read. Yeah comic books, they're good. History books, better.

17. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

The U.S. should drop out of the UN and have the UN have a building in a different country.

18. Zenithal macrumors 68040

It's called being a muppet.