Wonderful 2.8GHZ MBP Chronicle... 3 mbps so far. none good...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mars478, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Mars478, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010

Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Hey, I have owned my new Unibody 2.8 i7 Anti Glare MacBook Pro for 4 Days and I ALREADY have a straight hairline scratch across the screen. I don't put things in between the screen and keyboard. I purchased this MacBook Pro 4 DAYS AGO. And it's ALREADY scratched. I have Apple Care. This is simply unacceptable. If I take this to apple would they replace it?

UPDATE FOR THOSE WHO DON'T WANT TO READ THE WHOLE THREAD

Replacement 1 (MBP #2)
    (11/16/10)
    -They replaced my machine after the scratch was identified, new machine was great, slightly different hinge kind, but good.

-Later I discover it has a dead pixel on the screen.

Replacement 2 (MBP #3)
    (11/18/10)
    - Apple replaced my MacBook Pro with a dead pixel, now I have a new one, best hinge I've seen so far on these MacBook Pros.
    - No significant change yet, let's see how this one will fare.
    - Interesting note is that this one has the Serial Number written on the bottom like the new MBA's

UPDATE 2
    Replacement #2's HD Clunks. This is insane. Goes back to store tomorrow if continues, and I'm definitely emailing Apple HQ.

-All three of these machines were manufactured according to Coconut Battery "4 Weeks" ago.

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Did you scratch the screen or did it come that way? Did you clean the screen since you received the machine? Either way, go to the Apple store and plead your case. If the machine came like that they will definitely replace the screen for you. If you caused it, they may or they may not.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare doesn't cover damage or accidents; only manufacturer's defects. You may or may not be able to get an Apple rep to bend the rules, but it's not guaranteed. I've had my matte screen for over 2 1/2 years and it's as flawless as it was when new. You just have to be more careful.

5. Mars478, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2010

Mars478 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mars478

I most definitely did not notice it when I got it, and I think it might've happened while it was in my bag (?).
    Pictures? Here:

I definitely did not do this myself, I mean it was in my bag before i noticed it.

Attached Files:

6. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

looks like a "didn't happen" I see nothing on your picture.

7. Mars478, Nov 15, 2010

Mars478

see it now?

ugh macrumors degrades image quality. Let me upload it to TinyPic
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

Give Apple a call but if it wasn't there when you got it and it didn't do it to itself, the scratch was your fault regardless of what you keep it in. Apple is known to bend the rules every now and then, just keep calling them until you find a very nice rep :D or even call corporate customer service, they may be your best hope. Just don't say it was there when you got it if it wasn't. Good luck!

Edit: Please use timg or shrink that image!

9. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

i'd say thats way too liniar to be a scratch, looks more like a row of "bad/damaged" pixels.

10. Mars478 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Its a scratch alright, my nail gets stuck in it when i run my finger around it.

11. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

When you shut the lid, is there any part of the computer that lines up with that scratch, like the bottom edge of the keyboard for example?

12. Mars478 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mars478

It appears to line up with the space bar, and the side nearest the trackpad.
    Ill post a picture of where the scratch is and of the whole computer.

13. xpcker macrumors regular

sorry dude, the macpro antiglare screen is the best i've ever seen i use it everyday in my bag and the keyboard is often marked on the scree, i just clean it with water and soap and it kepts like new. i have a dell, asus and a hp and change them all cuz the screen didnt lasted more than 2 weeks.

maybe someone passed the keys or whatever but i wouldn't guilt apple.

14. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

Is it the same length as the spacebar?

15. Mars478, Nov 15, 2010

Mars478

Is it possible that I have a defective AG coating?
    Heres a picture of my machine and where the scratch is.

It's about 3/4 the length of it.

Attached Files:

16. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

this is one reason i like the glass screen...although i suppose that can scratch as well.

17. Mars478 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mars478

I have an Apple store appointment tomorrow. Will see what happens.

18. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

Be sure to be extra polite and friendly, don't start with "I am extremely mad... this is unacceptable" :D

Best of luck! Post back here with the result.

19. Mars478 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Thanks for the tip :)
    Are there chances that they will repair this one, or would they give me a whole new machine? I really don't want to not have a computer for a few days.

20. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

They normally take a few days to repair a computer and if they were to replace it they would have to have to have the exact machine in stock (if it is BTO, you would have to wait a few days).

Edit: If you are looking for shorter turnaround times, look for an Apple Authorized Service Provider in your area as they normally have less computers to fix and may be able to bump yours up in line.

21. Mars478 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mars478

The Machine is the top line model sold in stores (2.8,AG,SD,15)
    Would they really repair it if there's a scratch on the screen caused by a defect in their design? I've been checking it and it definitely either the sharp metal top of a trackpad or the space bar.

22. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

With that model, your store probably would have to order it in as it is rare for them to keep those in stock though some do. I am not sure about the second question though I would use the word "definitely" lightly with the genius.

23. Mars478 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mars478

I bought this model from an Apple Store in Soho. I'm going to the UWS one because it's nearer to my school. The Apple Stores in NYC have this model listed on the MBP config paper, and theyre on display at the stores.
    Is there ANY chance that they will replace it on the spot? Or would they repair this one?
    I think I narrowed down what scratched it. It was most likely the metal incline between the keyboard and trackpad. I looked at that metal edge and there was a material on it which was most likely my anti glare coating. grrr....

24. Daelos macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Worried about my one on order now... Is this a common thing? My old 2007 mbp doesn't have this problem, buts it's a lot less sharp than the unibody....

25. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Nah. I have the 17" AG with not only a moshi palmguard but a silicon keyboard cover as well. Not a scratch on it.