Wondering if an Apple TV 3rd gen for $25 is worth it even though I own a Xbox One

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by That_Damn_Kid, Mar 19, 2017.

1. That_Damn_Kid macrumors newbie

That_Damn_Kid

I would probably use an Apple TV mainly for Airplay as I have a Macbook Pro and iPad. Is $25 worth it for Airplay alone?

Also would I be able to have 2 different screens instead of mirror mode when it comes to Airplay on my Macbook?

2. Casey Royals macrumors newbie

Casey Royals

For $25 it'd be good even if you only use it occasionally!

3. Closingracer macrumors 68000

I bought the newest one (4th Gen?) for $150 and that was the 64gb model during black Friday. I don't use it a lot and considering I have so many other devices like my ps4 to watch Netflix and etc. That being said I like the purchase because I can watch my iTunes stuff and a dedicated remote. The 32gb model wasn't on sale and the same price....

4. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

Yes you can set your tv up as a separate display in the airplay settings on your mac

5. lvavila macrumors newbie

The question is not whether to buy an ATV 3rd gen even though you have an xbox. If you want an ATV then compare 3rd gen to 4th. Again, its the right tool for the job that matters. If all you want is a cheap airplay device, 3rd gen may be for you.