Wondering if I could dry my hands with a retina iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Gav Mack, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Because those AMD GPU's are going to run pretty hot driving that kind of resolution.

If any of you, especially those with the BTO cpu and gpu upgrades could let me know just how hot it gets working hard it will satisfy an engineers curiosity who takes these apart often.

I would definitely recommend you get it with AppleCare!

2. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Running a 2D desktop at that resolution is going to cause the card to heat up that much?
    Or, are you talking about running a game at the 5K resolution? Because, that's probably not going to happen, unless you enjoy slideshows.

3. Gav Mack thread starter macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Its an awful lot of pixels to shift for any card, but if I had to choose an app to properly gauge how much heat it would be FCPX and its companions which uses opencl on the AMD GPU.

Having torn every model down I would urge anyone who isn't getting AppleCare to seek a psychiatrist!

4. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Well, why not point us to some benchmarks of the card running a game at something close to the resolution so we can get an idea of the temperature issues?
    Or, do you just want to stir up controversy about the card selection?

5. Gav Mack thread starter macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Gaming I have no idea - my field is professional apps. As I already have felt quite a bit of heat coming out the back of the now last gen 27 with the option cpu/ option nvidia gpu and have torn down and repasted every model I'm curious as well as slightly concerned for the users. That's all of you when I help fellow members out for free in my spare time!