Word 2008 won't print Arabic; Word 2004 will. Can I have both in Applications?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by malch, Mar 26, 2008.

1. malch macrumors 6502

Hi there,
    Just got Microsoft Office 2008... mostly for Word. And now I find out Word 2008 won't print Arabic. It just so happens I have a project on the go which requires me to print Arabic, so I need to figure something out.
    I know Word 2004 will do Arabic.
    I own it as well, on another computer (both Macs). Can I copy just the Word 2004 app into the Applications folder on my MacBook Pro (where Word 2008 is already sittiing) - - and use it, as long as I don't have them both up at the same time?
    If I can do this, is the Word 2004 app the only thing I need to bring across... or are there other folders and whatnot?
    Thanks,
    malch

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I think so.

All those "*.apps" are actually folders containing all the stuff

4. malch thread starter macrumors 6502

o.k. that's great.
    Is the one Word 2004 application the only thing I need to copy over... just pop it in my Applications folder and that's it?
    Thanks again,
    malch

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Not sure of the license issues (iirc office 2004 allowed 3 installs but may be wrong).

It is best to use the installer again but you will need to copy more than just the app to get it work.

It is possible to have them both on the same machine and it is even possible to run both at the same time.

Picture 3.png

edit: Slow

This is usually the case but I have found that MS office is very picky about its things and requires itself to be in the correct place inside the Microsoft Office 2004 folder otherwise it will error out*, so you need at least the entire folder

Picture 4.png

6. malch thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow... xUKHCx, so I need the whole Microsoft Office 2004 folder (I was hoping to make it really simple)...
    Thanks...
    malch

7. malch thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks all. Copied the whole folder over, and am now printing in Arabic (I don't know what it means, but it's Arabic). Why would they leave this feature out, for the 2008 version?
    cheers,
    malch

8. munson macrumors 6502

munson

I don't know about any of that, but, you should just get pages. It's nice and simple.