Word of the day: "Twerking"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Aug 27, 2013.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'd seen this word a couple of times in magazine articles and on social media. I'd always assumed it was a typo.

But apparently its not.

Thanks a lot, Miley Cyrus.

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Ah...Miley Cyrus...my role model.:cool:

BTW: Who's Miley Cyrus?:confused:

3. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Yet another blessing for which we can thank hip-hop culture.

4. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Not to defend chicken butt or anything but twerking is rather old and was popularized in America with early black/hip-hop culture.

5. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68000

TheAppleFairy

I much prefer twerking over my old favorite daggering. As nasty and skanky Miley's performance was, I also enjoyed it a little.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Have to agree with this..

In fact, you see more of this in the video for Sir Mixalot's Baby Got Back than you do here.. and the fact that they have more back than Cyrus made that interesting..

I saw her performance on a youtube clip last night.. I actually felt sorry for her.

BL.

7. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Black women have been twerking for years and now some white girl takes it to the max. I just find it slutty and undignified.

Go get a real job.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The clip I saw showed Drake in the audience. He was looking like he didn't even care. Will and Jada Smith already commented their disgust at it.. Brooke Shields went on GMA or something like that and said "I was Hanna Montana's mom! Where did I go wrong?!?" or something similar..

It looked really undignified, and I don't know if they realize that that will be with them forever; The internet won't make anyone forget.

BL.

9. samiwas macrumors 65816

I'm all for skanky performances and enjoy quite a bit of adult-themed entertainment, but I found nothing at all sexy or remotely attractive about Miley's performance. The way she kept sticking her tongue out made it look like she was having a seizure, not being sexy. The whole thing to me made it appear that she was on some major substances.

10. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68000

TheAppleFairy

:D I didn't get the tongue thing, or the mouse suit. I wonder how much blow this girl goes through.

Also, I don't think it was appropriate for TV though.

11. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Forgive my ignorance, but is twerking a job?

13. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68000

TheAppleFairy

Not really, but if done well it has been known to make it rain money.

14. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Sad fully this is the route she feels she needs go. She was essentially a b-list child celebrity with a fizzling music career. Somewhere, someone told her that going for the shock factor like Manson, Madonna or Lady Gaga would perhaps keep her relevant. Only a matter of time before she is completely out of the limelight.

What I find hilariously fascinating however, is how well The Onion played this one out back in 2008.

Sources Warn Miley Cyrus Will Be Depleted by 2013

15. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

The fact so many people are talking about it and I've heard about it so many times despite having no interest in the VMAs at all just goes to show this year's MTV publicity stunt was a success. Last year it was Kanye West's stunt with Taylor Swift of course. Now taking bets on what it'll be next year! :D

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I just don't understand why people were offended by her dance but not offended at how horrendously bad her "music" is.

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Didn't you get the memo? Doesn't mean squat until a wealthy attractive white person does it. Then suddenly, it's headlines and click bait.

Besides, to anyone who knows anything, this is ancient Jamaican dancehall stuff that people were doing over 30 years ago.

But, but, but... Miley Cyrus!

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I can tell you what will *not* be on..

Rock.

Have you noted that this is the first, if not one of the first times that the VMAs have not had anything rock music based, let alone a rock category? It has all been pop, R'n'B, or rap. nothing more. Since most rock shows like Headbanger's Ball have been delegated to the cellar on MTV2 or MTV3 (and barely at that given the absence of any music videos whatsoever), MTV has lost all relevance. In fact, it only took one show to kill MTV, which occurred in 1992: Beavis and Butthead.

Right now, MTV in its truest form only exists in Europe. They got it right.

BL.

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It probably is if you're good at it.

20. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Get back to twerk!

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    At least Beavis and Butthead had music videos.

I'd say The Real World marked the beginning of the end for MTV. Even though it was a fairly intelligent show comparatively, it was the prototype of what we're currently seeing on MTV. Just about everything airing on the channel now is some variation of it.

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

A few months ago, we took a day-trip to see Fourth of July parade and my wife discovered the "We Can't Stop" video and played it. My 3-year old son listened for a moment and then said, "Mama. No. That's horrible."

Now, my son's favorite song is currently from the TV show "Word World," but I can't say the kid's wrong.

I'm surprised how many people have just discovered twerking as of Sunday night. I've known about twerking since the Ying Yang twins "Whistle While You Twerk" from 2000 and it's appeared in dozens of hip-hop videos since then.

Cyrus has shaken the collective ant-farm and I think it's hilarious.

23. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

And yet we're talking about it now, so obviously being attractive isn't necessary. :D

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Real World was a reactor meltdown, creating the eldritch horror we now know as The Challenge, that amorphous hunk of reality nonsense that continues to maw on the same castmates, each battling for a chunk of cash and the last remnants of their souls.

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

After season 3, I'd agree. The first 3 seasons were absolutely groundbreaking. Actually, the 1st season barely gets a pass; the 2nd season was a bit better; the 3rd season opened our eyes to the plight of GLBTQ and the stigmas they faced. That season really opened my eyes. Anything else afterwards was a crock, and Beavis and Butthead dumbed down everyone while destroying brain cells in the process, while the Real World filled it up with absolute idiocy that makes Beavis and Butthead look like they could pass the tests for MENSA.

BL.