Words of Wisdom on Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Apr 17, 2009.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

It seems to me that the culture is one of loyalties from the bottom up. First to the family, then to the village or town and whoever is the local sheikh. After that, to the particular tribal group. I don't think there has ever been any nationwide loyalty to a central government except as created by force.

Creation of some central government without working up from below, IMO, just won't work. That was our initial mistake in Iraq, and until Petraeus got the local leaders involved, we were failing.

I dunno. I see writeups on so damned many countries where the investments have never benefitted the bottom economic sectors: No investment in decent roads or water supplies. Schools, hospitals at the primary levels. Electricity. All these combine to get more agriculture for food, with ways to get foodstuffs to market. Healthy people produce more and can be self-sufficient. But, IMF and World Bank funds go to El Gigantico projects which commonly only benefit capital cities and the thugocrats on top. But when you're starting from scratch, a properly built gravel road is as good as a paved four-lane--and a helluva lot more affordable.

But if the Iranians are so sharp, how come they gotta send crude oil across the Gulf to be refined, and have gas rationing in Tehran? One of the most dismaying comments from a number-cruncher was that if you take oil out of the money-equation, the GDP of all of the oil-producing mideast countries is about the same as Denmark's.

And now, as broke as is the U.S., I don't see how anything good can happen for those folks in Afghanistan...

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

As an aside, afaik Afghanistan is predominately Pashtoon/Pathan. As a never-colonized, rural country it seems only natural that Pashtoon tribal codes and structures would be those used as they are the only power structures with legitimacy to the populace historically.

So, I am not sure about that paragraph of recommendation. While the Pashtoon tribal codes are harsh by Western Standards, they have not traditionally been extreme or radical until the infiltration of Soviet, ISI, Taliban and American forces/ideologies. At least afaik.

Perhaps I am missing something.

4. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Only that Tajiks make up almost the same percentage as Pashtuns and that Pashtuns only account for 40% of the population. The Pashtuns do tend to ride roughshod over the rest.