Work iPhone and Personal iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jfrancis04, Sep 2, 2012.

1. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

I've recently taken on a new job where they've offered to provide me with a work iPhone. As thankful and appreciative as I am, I absolutely hate the idea of carrying around two phones. So for those of you out there in a similar situation...how do you make it work?

I'm on AT&T and also have Google Voice that I can take advantage of if need be. If I could somehow drop my personal texting or data plan, I'd be all over it. I'm curious to see what suggestions everyone has though.

2. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I'd ask the company to pay for your existing phone and only give out your Google Voice number. You can easily separate work from personal calls with that service.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

My wife was also provided a work Sprint iPhone and she had the option of transferring her personal number to it. Do you have that option? If so, you can choose to get rid of your personal iPhone in the meantime and save on the monthly costs.

She didn't go with that option though and now it just sits in our house as our "landline" phone while she uses her personal at&t iPhone exclusively. You can forward your work number to your personal iPhone.

4. skysailing macrumors regular

skysailing

I had the company Parallels create software for my iPhone. I can switch between my personal iPhone 6S and my Wall Street work phone with just 4 taps on my holographic home button.
    [​IMG]

5. jfrancis04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not a bad idea.

So she basically requested her personal cell number to be her "work" number?

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Well, she makes all her calls from her personal number. If someone at work needs to reach her, they call her personal cell number.

Everyone at her work had the option to transfer their personal cell numbers to their work-provided iPhones. Some did and some didn't. Those who did can simply use it as both personal and work phone and carry just one device.

7. jfrancis04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. kannesss macrumors 6502a

I know lots of companies will pay for your phone if you use it for work a lot. Try it out. Or take it, sell yours.

9. Siggen macrumors 6502

Id accept the new phone and use your old phone as a backup phone at home. Make a backup of it and restore it to your work iphone if you are allowed. And you can even jailbreak your backup phone to play with the jailbreak stuff for fun.

10. dave420 macrumors 65816

I have an iPhone for work and an iPhone for personal use, and I really like it. It is a bit of a hassle to carry around two phones, but there are advantages like not having to worry about the battery dying as much. I lost one of them once, and I quickly found that I missed having two iPhones when I had one dumb phone.
    I personally like being able to keep my work and personal calls completely separate. I don't have to worry about the babies using my phone accidentally calling my customers. I use Google Voice for other reasons, but it doesn't have all the functionality I need to be able to get rid of one of the phones.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have my work Blackberry number forwarded to my iPhone
    And I have a Google Voice number set up as well

I got tired of carrying 2 phones real fast

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I carry two devices, leaving the work device and only occasionally checking it when I'm not in the office. Voice calls from the work device are forwarded to the personal device. I don't want my company's security policies and remote wipe capabilities on my personal device.

If you only use your GV number you can drop your texting plan. Are you not really using GV? You can also send/receive SMS from the GV web site. I use it all the time (especially when I forget my phone) on my computers both at work, home and while traveling. Chrome has a very handy GV extension.

I suggest you do whatever fits your needs and preferences best. This certainly isn't a one-size-fits-all matter.

GV's group features could definitely come in handy.

13. jfrancis04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I have google voice, but haven't really used it or ported any numbers yet (for those asking).

Definitely appreciate all the suggestions!

14. nicknicknickh macrumors regular

Dont you have anything better to do with your time? It seems you are spending all your time on these forums and replying to every thread with a smartass comment..

15. skysailing macrumors regular

skysailing

If by "all your time" you mean commenting for ONE night, try harder.

16. jfrancis04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

For any who were curious as to how this turned out...I let my workplace know I had an iPhone and they offered to contribute $30 each month to my personal bill. :) I took that option rather than having to carry around 2 separate iPhones.

I also found a pretty cool app called Divide that basically lets you have a work "profile," accessed through the app, for your work email, contacts, and calendars.

17. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I take advantage of being able to use Android and iOS side by side at no additional cost.

Truth be told, I find it easier to distinguish between work and play when I have a specific device for each, not to mention the fact that I personally find Android to be a more suitable OS for work and iOS for play (entertainment). It's also nice to be able to shut the work phone off when I am not at work. Only people who I want to have my personal number actually have it.

I guess it really depends what type of job you have. If it is a desk job, I really don't see how it would be difficult to have two phones. If it is an on the field job, having a hone on either hip would probably get annoying. My job isn't really a desk job, but both phones sit on/near my desk anyway, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest.