Work is Giving Me a Free Digital Camera: Which of These Should I Choose?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by HappyDude20, Dec 31, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Because of the holidays i'm being given a free digital camera of my choice, which comes as a pleasant surprise considering i'll be needing a digital camera while I move to Tokyo in a few months, for 6 months. Work is giving me one of these simple basic point and shoot cameras and thought i'd run it by the community here. :eek::eek::eek:

1. Canon Powershot A490: 10MP

2. Fuji FinePix AX200: 12MP

3. Panasonic Lumix 12MP w/ 4x Optical Zoom

4. Samsung SL600: 12.2MP

5. Sony CyberShot 12.1MP (Though I'm sure Sony makes great cameras, my qualm with them is having to be subjected to their memory cards which won't work easily with my SD Slotted MacBook Pro)

Free is free and am glad work is letting me choose. I'm leaving to Tokyo for 6 months soon and need a digital camera to capture it all. Truth be told I want to take photos, not videos considering i'm also taking my Flip Mino HD, and would appreciate a nice, easy to use camera (though admittedly like to manually work a camera and avoid presets; I know how to use a camera.) And finally, would like to be able to utilize my SD Card slot built in my MBP.:apple: :D

Attached Files:

2. Keleko macrumors 68000

They're all entry level P&S, do don't expect anything amazing out of any of them. I'd just look around at reviews online and see what you think that way. My quick look indicated to me the Fuji would be a reasonable choice. It seems to be the only one to record HD video, too, though you said you weren't interested in that particular feature. Still, it might be useful as a backup to the Flip.

3. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

4. HappyDude20, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010

HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Ahhh, that's what I figured. My friend said to get the Canon PowerShot, but thought the Samsung looked a bit sleeker.

I do understand they;re all basic, entry level cameras but for getting one for free, i'm not complaining. That, and I've always felt I could really take advantage going full manual with these simple cameras, as opposed to "auto mode" that i'm sure so many people use, not knowing how to take a photo.

For example, 3 years ago when I did have a digital camera, I took this shot with my 6MP Olympus Point & Shoot Camera. Original shot & edited version using iPhoto

/Gloating :eek:

Attached Files:

5. Keleko macrumors 68000

Just be aware that you may not be able to go full manual with these cameras. I'm not sure the entry level cameras have a manual mode available.

6. bubulindo macrumors member

bubulindo

a fill flash and the picture would have been perfect. :)

7. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

They'll all basically do the same thing... so with that in mind, I'd choose the Lumix... always a very strong stable of p/s models with wider than average lenses. It should be able to do at least 720p vid. Panny is often overlooked by consumers, maybe not a widely distributed, but definitely worth a look if you don't want to do the bandwagon Canon choice.

8. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Yeah, my GF told me Canon would be her choice...but I agree she jumps in a different bandwagon every other week.

I've held the Samsung camera in stores and like the feel of it, though am not too confident about the quality of the photos themselves; then again, those on display cameras are usually messed up.

I always thought Fuji & Panasonic were good, though i've yet to own one so couldn't be truly confident with my answer.

Either way, I plan on making a decision within the next few days.

9. pixelbaker macrumors member

pixelbaker

I first purchased a Canon PowerShot for my mother to get into digital photography after shopping around and comparing. The picture quality is fantastic for the price point, but even since that doesn't matter, I'd still go with that.

Since then I've purchased my own, plus another for an ex, another for a photog friend, and yet another for a roommate. Each was a different model in the series and every single one has been fantastic. I'm not sure about that particular model, but the SD790 had some manual settings to play with a bit. Nothing near DSLR, but some semblance of control.

10. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

Normally I'd say get the Canon, but the Panasonic and Samsung have more useful zoom ranges so I would probably opt for one of them. These are all very inexpensive cameras, and the price to you is free, so pick one and don't look back.

11. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

the Sony will also take an SD card :cool:

12. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Just ordered the Samsung one!

Thanks everyone!

Should arrive by the 14th, considering I wasn't the only one from work ordering these cameras for the holidays.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

:D:D:D:D:D:D