Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
My work are kindly willing to buy me an Xr. They never have before but I simply asked the other day and they said yeah, no worries! (Why have I been buying £1000 iPhones all this time!).

I however want the Xs.

Should I jump at the chance of a free Xr or should I trade in my 7 and get the Xs myself?

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I prefer the XS as well but if I was given the option for a free XR I would jump all over that and not look back.

Reactions: BeatCrazy

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Get the Xr. It is free and not much different from the Xs. Use the money saved for some other premium device you want.

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Can you throw in some money yourself and get them to buy the Xs that way? (Knowing and accepting the fact that if you quit and have to return the phone, you won’t see that money returning)

My IT department have accepted such deals in the past.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My work are kindly willing to buy me an Xr. They never have before but I simply asked the other day and they said yeah, no worries! (Why have I been buying £1000 iPhones all this time!).

I however want the Xs.

Should I jump at the chance of a free Xr or should I trade in my 7 and get the Xs myself?

If your company is willing to pay for the XR, that’s a perk that I wouldn’t pass that would save you money, and perhaps you will find it an enjoyable experience. If you don’t like it, then you can return the XR within 14 days (Assuming it’s an option from where ever the phone is purchased) and then re-purchase the Xs if you want with your own finances.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
i dont mind free XR .. nothing beats FREE goodies ... u can use XR now... save up to buy the new Iphone in September .... win win case haha

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Honestly I wouldn’t even take a free XR except for gifting/selling. It’s just too big for me. No other issues.

I’m waiting for a 4.8 to 5.5” design. 10e by Samsung is the perfect size without a case.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

I however want the Xs.

I presume the phone is for business. Take the Xr for work and get the Xs for yourself. If there's no real business requirement to have a phone then I'm baffled why they are wasting their money on it.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Even though I’ve been a big critic of the XR if someone wanted to give me one for free I’d take it and use it for work and keep my Xs max for personal use.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
The company where I worked let you buy your own phone but gave you an allowance per month to pay your bill. I loved it as the phone was mine and I didn’t have any rules with it as we did with our company issued laptops.

However, I would definitely ask if you can pay the difference and upgrade. I had the prior larger phones with both the 6 Plus and 6S Plus. Then I went to the X and thrilled to have the large screen real estate with the more compact size. It just feels good in hand for me.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

I however want the Xs.

Get one at the best price to you, which is FREE. If you want an XS spring for that. This way you can use both. (Of course you have to carry around two phones)

@Nhwhazup I get a very generous corporate stipend for BYOP policy. There is an MDM associated with BYOP, but it's fairly minimal.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Get one at the best price to you, which is FREE. If you want an XS spring for that. This way you can use both. (Of course you have to carry around two phones)

@Nhwhazup I get a very generous corporate stipend for BYOP policy. There is an MDM associated with BYOP, but it's fairly minimal.
I’m retired now but in my former job, my monthly benefit covered both my phone bill and unlimited iPad bill. It was great!

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
It’s nice that the company will give you a phone. We’re BYOD, which is why I was happy that dual SIM became a feature this year. Unless they distribute certain devices from their own inventory, I’d first simply ask if I could get the XS paid by the company. If they say no, then find out how you could do it by paying the difference. This usually isn’t a problem, just ask.

Last edited:

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Get the free iPhone Your work is providing you. The XR is great and offers some advantages over the XS in the battery department. Same processor and main camera. You’d be mad to get the XS over a free work phone.

Heck My cousin works for a large company that gives him free phones for work fully paid. He was a huge, pretty much exclusive android guy but happily uses an iPhone 6s thanks to work (and 5s prior that). They will likely upgrade to 8’s or XRs in the summer.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia

I however want the Xs.

Can you not simply pay the difference!?

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
First world problem? The XR is great and if you're out on the road or in meetings, the XR is going to last you all day even if you email, Slack, call etc. with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.