iPhone XR Work will buy me an XR... I want an XS!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by erasr, Apr 25, 2019.

1. erasr macrumors 6502

My work are kindly willing to buy me an Xr. They never have before but I simply asked the other day and they said yeah, no worries! (Why have I been buying £1000 iPhones all this time!).

I however want the Xs.

Should I jump at the chance of a free Xr or should I trade in my 7 and get the Xs myself?

2. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

3. mjschabow macrumors 68020

I prefer the XS as well but if I was given the option for a free XR I would jump all over that and not look back.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Get the Xr. It is free and not much different from the Xs. Use the money saved for some other premium device you want.

5. Krayzkat Suspended

Take the freebie, or pay the difference to upgrade, or quit your job in protest and demand you have a Touch ID iPhone without a notch

6. Wokis macrumors regular

Can you throw in some money yourself and get them to buy the Xs that way? (Knowing and accepting the fact that if you quit and have to return the phone, you won’t see that money returning)

My IT department have accepted such deals in the past.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

If your company is willing to pay for the XR, that’s a perk that I wouldn’t pass that would save you money, and perhaps you will find it an enjoyable experience. If you don’t like it, then you can return the XR within 14 days (Assuming it’s an option from where ever the phone is purchased) and then re-purchase the Xs if you want with your own finances.

8. majkom macrumors 65816

9. mackie8 macrumors 6502a

i dont mind free XR .. nothing beats FREE goodies ... u can use XR now... save up to buy the new Iphone in September .... win win case haha

10. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

Honestly I wouldn’t even take a free XR except for gifting/selling. It’s just too big for me. No other issues.

I’m waiting for a 4.8 to 5.5” design. 10e by Samsung is the perfect size without a case.

11. Lekro macrumors regular

Lekro

12. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

I presume the phone is for business. Take the Xr for work and get the Xs for yourself. If there's no real business requirement to have a phone then I'm baffled why they are wasting their money on it.

13. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

Even though I’ve been a big critic of the XR if someone wanted to give me one for free I’d take it and use it for work and keep my Xs max for personal use.

14. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

The company where I worked let you buy your own phone but gave you an allowance per month to pay your bill. I loved it as the phone was mine and I didn’t have any rules with it as we did with our company issued laptops.

However, I would definitely ask if you can pay the difference and upgrade. I had the prior larger phones with both the 6 Plus and 6S Plus. Then I went to the X and thrilled to have the large screen real estate with the more compact size. It just feels good in hand for me.

15. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Get one at the best price to you, which is FREE. If you want an XS spring for that. This way you can use both. (Of course you have to carry around two phones)

@Nhwhazup I get a very generous corporate stipend for BYOP policy. There is an MDM associated with BYOP, but it's fairly minimal.

16. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

I’m retired now but in my former job, my monthly benefit covered both my phone bill and unlimited iPad bill. It was great!

17. naturalstar, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019

naturalstar macrumors 6502a

naturalstar

It’s nice that the company will give you a phone. We’re BYOD, which is why I was happy that dual SIM became a feature this year. Unless they distribute certain devices from their own inventory, I’d first simply ask if I could get the XS paid by the company. If they say no, then find out how you could do it by paying the difference. This usually isn’t a problem, just ask.

18. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

If they’re giving it to you as in “your personal phone”, absolutely keep it. It’s an excellent phone.

If they’re giving it to you as in “it’s your work phone and we’ll absolutely install software to monitor your every step”, then keep it and get a separate XS.

19. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

20. nordique macrumors 65816

Get the free iPhone Your work is providing you. The XR is great and offers some advantages over the XS in the battery department. Same processor and main camera. You’d be mad to get the XS over a free work phone.

Heck My cousin works for a large company that gives him free phones for work fully paid. He was a huge, pretty much exclusive android guy but happily uses an iPhone 6s thanks to work (and 5s prior that). They will likely upgrade to 8’s or XRs in the summer.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

22. Wide opeN macrumors 6502a

Wide opeN

Can you not simply pay the difference!?

23. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

First world problem? The XR is great and if you're out on the road or in meetings, the XR is going to last you all day even if you email, Slack, call etc. with it.