Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wake up Jobs!!!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2002
Miami, Florida
Hey everybody! I have been on a somewhat hiatus of the internet because of school for a month or so, but now im back! Well anyways what I purchased on thursday from the apple store was a NEW eMac! All I could afford was a 700mhz model , but it is fast enough for me. This was in now way my first mac, (acctually it was probably my 5th or 6th, and i have used various mac over the years , but this one seems to me to be the best one yet. jaguar is great, and fast , I have not had any trouble with it. Also so you people who live in a area with a apple store, If you bring in a mac mall magazine on internet add, the apple store will match the deal they give on your mac. for me they gave me double the ram , and a free hp deskjet 3820 printer which I find to be a great quality printer. I have found a minor concern with the computer though. I personally like to listen to my rock music loud . When I have my music in iTunes on loud i notice in the two bottom cornners of the screen closest to the speakers, there is a little vibration in the screen. Now I do know about how magnetic interference with the speakers is probably the cause of this problem, should this be happening? I am also watching the geometry problem that people are saying they are having. I have not seen any change since i have purchased it, but it seems to me( or my stupid imaganation) that the viewable part of the screen has gotten a little smaller (like a couple on mm's). overall a very very good thought out piece of machinery.

This is however my first mac with osx, and I am a little sketchy on the features . I want to learn about unix code and how to make apps for osx. does anyone know any code for treminal this i can use to better aid my understanding of terminal and unix?

Thanks a bunch and it is good to be back to macrumors!

-GaBe-O

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I would suggest that you get the book "UNIX Shells by Example" by Ellie Quigley, Prentice-Hall, with CD-ROM, ISBN 0-13-066538-X.

It's one I use and covers all the major shells in interactive and programming use.

If you'd like examples of my code, send me a message and I'll wrap up a couple. :)

Congratulations on the new machine! I'm sure you'll enjoy it, especially when playing games. It's too bad, but the speakers should be magnetically-shielded from the CRT. It's not healthy for them to interact. I'd be notifying Apple.

Work does pay off. :)

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
That speaker issue happens on my slot-loading iMac as well.

I'm not sure if there is anything we can do about it.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
You could get speakers. You can find some good (powerful) speakers for cheep. Or if yo uhave a stereo, you can use your stereo speakers as computer speakers if you buy an 'mp3 adapter' which costs about $7.00. I sure don't regret it :D. My mom does though :p .

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Worked all summer for it and it was worth it!

Originally posted by wake up Jobs!!!

This is however my first mac with osx, and I am a little sketchy on the features . I want to learn about unix code and how to make apps for osx. does anyone know any code for treminal this i can use to better aid my understanding of terminal and unix?

Thanks a bunch and it is good to be back to macrumors!

-GaBe-O

Strong work!

Congrats on your purchase... eMac is definately a good deal overall... G4 machine with 17" screen.

http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/

had a series of Terminal articles... http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2001/12/14/terminal_one.html

You should look around on that site as well.

arn

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
Re: Worked all summer for it and it was worth it!

Originally posted by wake up Jobs!!!

If you just want to learn some basic Unix commands, David Pogue's "Mac OS X: The Missing Manual" should fit the bill. Avoid the other O'Reilly book, "Learning Unix for Mac OS X" , it's coverage is far too shallow for the price you're paying.

However, if you really want to know how to use Unix inside and out on Mac OS X, check out "Mac OS X Unleashed" . It's a doorstopper at +1,000 pages, but it has almost everything you need to become an OS X Unix poweruser. The second edition is coming out this Christmas, so wait for it if you can.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Congratulations on your new eMac. IT seems you always enjoy something more when you've worked to pay for it! :)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
congrats! you did well

when i first saw the bondi blue 233 mhz g3 imac, i thought it was a steal for $1299 dollars, us

the emac is, dollar for dollar, the best deal out there along with the $1199 dollar ibook IMHO

wake up Jobs!!!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2002
Miami, Florida
well thanks for the unix advice. I went out and got one of the books and started messing with developers tools. I made my first app, a simple window that says "hello world" in italics. the only problem is that i messed up somer were in the code to get a error of the user data so i put userData in quotes and it worked, minus the fact that the words did not appear in the window, instead they were stationed outside of the window in the top left hand cornner of the screen:rolleyes: oh well back to the drawing board! also with the problem i am having with my screen, I am bringing the compputer in to the applestore tommorow to have them check it out. It seems this problem is one that has been reported to apples website many times . luckley it is under waranty for another 360 days:D

-GaBe-O

gerror

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2001
Netherlands
congratulations man,
I just bought the flatpanel iMac 700.
I doubted very much between the eMac and iMac. Well, the space on my desk wasn't very big so I bought the iMac. ;)
No seriousy, it I just had the money.
cheers

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Re: Re: Worked all summer for it and it was worth it!

Originally posted by macktheknife

However, if you really want to know how to use Unix inside and out on Mac OS X, check out "Mac OS X Unleashed" . It's a doorstopper at +1,000 pages, but it has almost everything you need to become an OS X Unix poweruser. The second edition is coming out this Christmas, so wait for it if you can.

My girlfriend bought this book for me and I have to say its gotta be the best OS X book bar-none. The first half (GUI) I didn't even read, as I am GUI-handy, but the second half was and is phenomenal. I come from the Linux/Win world and it was a real eyeopener. I was pretty good at linux, and I could definitely get it to work for me, but something was missing. What was missing was the basic understanding of the philsophies of UNIX. That is something that I was able to learn from this book, and my abilities/knowledge have doubled many times over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.