Working out with the 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aevelasquez, Oct 8, 2014.

1. aevelasquez macrumors regular

How do 6 Plus owners go running with their phones? What about lifting weights?

I haven't gotten mine yet and am curious as to the answers.

2. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

When I run with it I just hold it. I am 6' 2" so it isn't that hard for me to hold onto it while I run.

While I am in the gym it is usually sitting next to my water bottle. I use bluetooth headphones so I don't keep my phone in my pocket in the gym. So far I have absolutely no problems in the gym or running with my iPhone 6 Plus.

3. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

bluetooth headphones for my iPhone 6. if i'm standing up doing a workout, i'll keep it in my pocket. if i'm on a bench or sitting down, it's under the bench or by my water bottle.

nothing different from my iPhone 5. I haven't gone OUT for a run with it yet, only the on treadmill.

4. davewolfs macrumors regular

Straight up. You need a fanny pack. It's nothing like a 5. It's stupid big. A spibelt will hold it. I've ordered one for me and the lady.

5. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Armband for long runs, holster on waistband for lifting, etc. with regular wired headphones. Not an issue either way.

6. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I don't have a 6+ but I use a SPIbelt when running and working out in combination with bluetooth headphones. My shirt covers it, so it is rarely seen by anyone else (I have seen others comment on how it looks while wearing it). I do not work out or run shirtless (sorry, ladies ;) )

Some have complained about "bouncing", but I have done street runnning, trail running, weight lifting, burpees, kettlebell workouts, etc. and have never felt it bounce.

I usually keep my phone, ID, CC or cash, house or car key, and a couple dog "clean-up" bags in my SPIbelt.

There are others on the market, but most of my running friends agree that this is the best one currently on the market.

7. CoyoteRidge macrumors member

You do realize that it is OK to separate your physical self from your phone once in a while? Correct?

8. justinf77, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014

justinf77 macrumors 6502

I literally just came back from the gym doing squats and deadlifts with the 6+ in my pocket. I was really surprised, but it was no trouble at all. I wear loose-fitting basketball shorts to the gym and I was extra careful about making sure there was no force being applied to the phone while I was exercising. These bend-gate stories have me a little paranoid :)

9. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

You do realize most people use their phones to listen to music at the gym since the music played in many guns sucks?

10. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502

I need to know this also, I haven't worked out since I got the Plus. Too scared :/

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Not for some people here, but I agree.

12. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I don't use my 6+ at the gym. I use either clip-on Nano (music) or armband Touch (audiobooks) while doing weights, and I watch movies and tv on mini iPad while doing cardio (elliptical, bike and treadmill). I know, I know, I could use phone for all, but eyes are bad enough that I really need the iPad to see the movies, and I just like listening to stuff on smaller devices. I do use Blue Tooth earbuds, so no worries about wires.

But, if I did use my 6+ at the gym, due to the BT earbuds, I would just set it down on the console of the cardio equipment or next to the weight machine.

13. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

I'm only 5'9 and hold my 6+ on runs just like I did my 5s. First run after a couple miles it felt normal already. I run about 4 miles a day.

Also fits in my Nike running shorts pocket when at the gym.

Overall Ito pretty much exactly how I used my 5s when working out. Bluetooth is the way to go in my opinion.

14. aevelasquez thread starter macrumors regular

You do realize that not every word out of your mouth is something that just has to be heard. Correct?

I mean, seriously, what exactly was your point in commenting?

I lift weights and know what kind of music I do it best with. wearing headphones connected to my own music not only facilitates that, it prevents people from trying to talk to me when I'm just trying to get my sets in, and on top of all that, prevents the robot-****ing techno music they play from being distracting as all ****, as it would otherwise be. Add to that the fact that I used it to track my time, distance, and calorie burn when out running to mark my progress.

Not that drawing any of those conclusions requires any real thought, but I guess that's asking far too much of you already.

15. GCPandroo macrumors newbie

I've run a couple times with my 6+ in my pocket with headphones in and it's been fine. It doesn't flop around much either. Works pretty well, and much better than my iPhone 5 did.

16. cababah macrumors 68000

I bench press my 6+. I can usually do 4-6 reps for 3 sets. :)

17. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

I thought the 6+ was gonna be a problem in the gym, but so far so good, it's not bothering me at all.

18. CoyoteRidge, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014

CoyoteRidge macrumors member

You Ma'am need help. I'm sure that you are aware of that. BTW, there are some great apps available for those needing help with grammar, spelling and sentence structure.

19. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I haven't had any problems with it.

Its too big for an armband in my opinion.

For weightlifting (squatting, power cling, all the great stuff) I use...my shorts. Just don't set any heavy weights on your leg.

For running i use fitbelt. Its great, and the iPhone 6+ fits fine in it. I use it to run so I can listen to music (or espn) while tracking my time and etc using run keeper.

20. ezekiel97 macrumors newbie

Working out with the 6 Plus

You do realize that some jobs require you to have a phone on you all the time? I have to carry 2 phones anywhere and everywhere I go. It used to be 3 but I'm down to two.

21. CoyoteRidge macrumors member

Don't take these comments so literal. Maybe Miami Vice should try wrapping his 6 Plus in his bandana.

22. jds4000 macrumors newbie

How about duct taping it to your pony tail or forehead?

23. mctrees02 macrumors member

flipbelt was the solution for me. I've used both a 6 and 6+ in it and it makes running and working out very easy. The 6+ with a good gripping case can take 15-20 seconds to get it in the belt but it still fits just fine. Just make sure you know what you want to listen to when you start so that you don't have to take the phone in and out.

24. Subjugator macrumors regular

Google Flipbelt. I run at least 3 miles everyday and this is what I used with my 5s and now my 6+.

25. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

does it have zero movement on the flipbelt while running? I saw that not too long ago and pretty interested in it.