Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abu Rayane

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Hello everybody,

I would like to use multiple desktops on MacBook Pro, if I open Safari on first Desktop, and try to open it on the second, it goes back to Desktop1, is there any way that I can open the same application on multiple desktops?

Thanks in advance

Abu Rayane

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Thanks Samuelsan2001, that's awesome, how about other applications, such as word, excel, ... if we would like to work in a separate spaces

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Thanks Samuelsan2001, that's awesome, how about other applications, such as word, excel, ... if we would like to work in a separate spaces

Just do the same thing. Swipe to the desired space then right click on that app in the dock then press open when the options in the dock opens.

Abu Rayane

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Just for some apps, not all of them, for example I could not open word or excel in more than one desktop

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
Office for Mac

Hi Abu,

You can have multiple documents from Office open on multiple desktops. But it's not quite as simple as it is for safari since there is no 'New Window' prompt. Instead you'll have to open the new document on whichever desktop the program reverts to, and then just drag it to the edge to make it switch desktops. Then you're all set. :D

Attached is a picture showing two word documents spread between my two desktops

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 1.32.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 1.32.36 PM.png
    690.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Abu Rayane

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Well, I opened a new document, I swiped with my fingers to see other desktops, then I drag the document to the specific desktop, it works awesome, thanks Bro

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Hello everybody,

I would like to use multiple desktops on MacBook Pro, if I open Safari on first Desktop, and try to open it on the second, it goes back to Desktop1, is there any way that I can open the same application on multiple desktops?

Thanks in advance

You can right-click applications in the dock and assign them to different desktops.

Just do the same thing. Swipe to the desired space then right click on that app in the dock then press open when the options in the dock opens.

You can actually go to System Preferences and change how different desktops are accessed.

--

All in all, I find the multiple desktops one of my favourite things about Macs for productivity. I have a personal desktop (i.e. social networking, iCal, etc.) and a work desktop (i.e. Mail.app, IDE/coding environment, documentation, etc.) that keep me very organized and focused.

Abu Rayane

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
@xShane: That what I am trying to do, separate personal works from professional once

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.