World’s First Commercially Available 512GB 2.5-Inch SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by svalentine, Apr 8, 2009.

1. svalentine macrumors regular

San Jose, California – April 8, 2009 – Super Talent Technology, a leading manufacturer of Flash storage solutions and DRAM memory modules, today announced that it is now shipping the MasterDrive RX family of Solid State Drives (SSDs) in capacities up to 512GB.

The MasterDrive RX features Super Talent’s proprietary RAIDSSD™ Technology to enable extremely fast sequential read and write speeds. The MasterDrive RX with MLC NAND Flash comes in 128GB, 256GB and 512GB densities and is rated for a maximum sequential read speed of 230MB/sec and a maximum sequential write speed of 160MB/sec. The MasterDrive RX with SLC Flash comes in 128GB and 256GB densities and is rated for a maximum sequential read speed of 230MB/sec and a maximum sequential write speed of 200MB/sec.

Jeremy Werner, senior product marketing manager at Super Talent, stated “The MasterDrive RX is the latest product utilizing our patented RAIDSSD™ Technology. This product is great! From a performance standpoint it’s like having two SSDs in the space of one, and it extends our standard 2.5” SATA-II product line to include a 512GB SSD.” The 512GB MasterDrive RX retails for under $1500.

[​IMG]

Buy: http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=FTM12GE25H#

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Impressive... something like this could perhaps be $500-700 in 2-3 years, putting it not completely outside the realm of possibility.

3. youpey macrumors member

i wonder if it uses the junk micron comtroller

4. svalentine thread starter macrumors regular

I think 512GB is the perfect SSD size for a notebook. I can't wait until Apple takes advantage of that size drive.:D

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Personally, I'm holding out for nanomemory. :p

"Tests showed extremely low power consumption for data encoding (0.7mW per bit). They also indicated the data writing, erasing and retrieval (50 nanoseconds) to be 1,000 times faster than conventional Flash memory and indicated the device would not lose data even after approximately 100,000 years of use, all with the potential to realize terabit-level nonvolatile memory device density."

6. ZunePod macrumors regular

Officially the largest capacity 2.5" Drive EVER!!!

Can't wait for 1024GB (1TB)

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When it's selling for $1500, Apple will mark it up to $3000, putting the laptop containing it in the $4500-5000 range.... :p

8. svalentine thread starter macrumors regular

9. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

I'm hoping the crappy JMicron days are over too.
    And JMicron will release a new controller in fall(???).
    I don't think this drive uses the old crappy JMicron anymore, but must likely won't use the new one either. :confused:

10. redaxe macrumors newbie

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think I'll skip; bought 2 of their drives and both were DOA.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So this means they can release a 128 GB SLC version if they wanted to. :)

Lets just hope they do.

13. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Curious but how would you know that they could release a 128 SLC? My knowledge of SSD's is somewhat minimal.

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

When that puppy drops down to less than $500, buzz me. Shoot, don't even really bother until it drops below $300. Those things are nice to the ears, but a freak out to the eyes. It's unfortunate since notebook hard drives are so much slower than the desktop variety.

15. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Fixed that for you ;)

16. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

But by the time the prices drop for it to be affordable enough... 512GB might as well be a past era figure..

And as for Apple including it now.... isnt it enough that Msft is scratching their butts with stupid rants... lol!