World Economy: China [includes Chinese Military Behind Cyberattacks]

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eric/, Feb 19, 2013.

1. eric/ Guest

eric/

Alright,

So typically I'm a pretty staunch leave the Chinese alone/not a threat advocate, but if this is true, I may be switching to the China is a threat advocate.

Link

After reading this, what is your opinion? How should the world community respond? The whole "China is the biggest market, can't touch them" is a lame excuse.

First, I don't think that we should stand and do nothing if we have concrete proof that Chinese military is behind this. It's one thing if there were just NGO dudes just doing this, but if their military is blatantly attacking other countries, and stealing our trade secrets and looking for vulnerabilities in infrastructure, how exactly can we justify not treating China as a threat?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What do you propose doing?

FWIW I'm sure the CIA/NSA hack foreign targets.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Every country is doing the same thing, the US just has more to lose in terms of intellectual property.

4. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Sure, but does the UK and mi6 hack and try to steal ip from other countries?

Keep in mind, the US isn't the only target. France, Italy, uk, Switzerland, Germany are all targets too.

5. G51989, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013

G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Of they do, the Chinese cannot make their own technology, so they must steal from the west. I think we need to be making convert missions into China to destroy their infrastructure, They are not a friend, but a threat. And we have more than enough Muscle to take them down, for good. It doesn't have to go out to full out war, because China knows they will lose. But I think we can hurt them enough for them to stop. And i do think we need to hurt them, hard.

I don't want them to be a super power, or a dominate force in this world, I want them kept down as much as we can, and we have more than enough firepower in the 5th fleet alone to level half that county. Their garbage military won't stand a chance. They are a threat, and they need dealt with.

6. Peace, Feb 19, 2013
  7. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

We can't do anything about it right now, we borrow too much from them and honestly there really isn't any alternative place to borrow from. Sure, we have the muscle to destroy China, but we're not finished exploiting them yet.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Cal them out on it in the UN, (that is if we are not hacking them), and take stringent steps to firewall our intellectual property.

9. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

We don't really borrow that much from them

10. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

We don't really borrow all that much from China.

And we have beyond the Muscle, the Chinese military is pretty primitive. The USN/USAF could be outnumbered 5-1 and still come out on top with very little losses.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You're advocating starting a world war because of cyberattacks ?

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Perhaps, but destroying China would cause serious trouble. We would lose a lot of allies and potentially cause a world war. We would end up isolating ourselves. And it's not just about the borrowing, we need the peasant labor.

13. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Who are the chinese allies? Japan/Europe are very close allies to the US.

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Are you so naive that you think attacking China wouldn't make other countries get in the fray ?

15. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

That can easily change if we get hostile against China. Also, without China we have no way to manipulate North Korea. Unless you want to destroy them as well. I think we should just cyberattack them back, but much worse. We need to destroy their infrastructure without physically attacking them.

16. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Like who? No one the US can't beat the snot out of. It would be an Air and Naval war, the US is capable of taking every other country in the world on in such a war, and coming out on top.

----------

North Korea isn't a threat.

We need to destroy the ability to compete via any means. Cyber, strikes, convert operations.

And you really think Europe would take sides with China? Doubtful.

17. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating a war or anything like that. Just commenting on the borrowing.

And actually we don't need Chinese labor either. There are plenty of people around the world that would work for the same wages, if not less.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think you do your best to live in peace.

But that idea is obviously not going to go over well in this thread.

19. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

So basically turn the other cheek while they're messing with us? Well idk about you, but I'm not much into the bible...

20. citizenzen, Feb 19, 2013

citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'd certainly call them on it.

But engaging in tit-for-tat retaliation doesn't seem too work often.

It usually just ends in a seemingly endless cycle of retribution.

21. dma550 macrumors 6502

from how far away can a drone be piloted? I kid, I kid.

22. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Some of the folks in this thread are awfully quick to start considering war. I think they need to go look at some film of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and the Soviet Era Tsar Bomb test. Even assuming that a war stays conventional (no guarantee), go watch some war films. Band of Brothers? The Pacific? Platoon? I wonder what kind of quick and easy war they are thinking of...

23. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Call Of Duty Black Ops

;)

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    If we start it, I'm sure they'd be very, very reticent about jumping into the fray right alongside us.

The scary thing is, cyberattacks of this magnitude are considered by the government to be a blatant act of war. Rightfully so. It might not escalate to that point, but things are going to be pretty hairy over the next few weeks if all this ends up being verified.

25. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

If I were Terry Gou, head of Foxconn, I would be politely suggesting to my contacts in Beijing that this kind of action is very, very bad for business. I would politely suggest that companies like Apple are going to start thinking harder about where they should be building factories. China doesn't look so good if you factor this in.